Menu

What's with the ads?

Plum

If you had unlimited resources what would your homeschool look like?

Just a thought experiment. Any grade. 

Unlimited?

I would start by hiring out most of the home maintenance and cooking so I could focus on teaching.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Shelving. 🙂

More shelves all over the house.  Nice looking built ins, not the motley crew I currently have.

And someone else to clean, cook, and drive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Music lessons, a membership the the YMCA for swim & gymnastics lessons, a housekeeper, and the robotics sets that DS7 so desperately wants.

• Like 1

I would have enrolled them in the best Montessori school I could find. 

• Like 1

Not all that different as far as DD's homeschooling, but household help and offering low cost music classes for homeschoolers with a dedicated, dream studio is on my wishlist. 

Time has been more of a limiting factor than money for us. Can I buy more time to fit everything in?

When we did have more money, we traveled more. I wish we could still do that.

• Like 4

I would have a full time housekeeper for cleaning (cooking I can do) and I would outsource math and foreign language even more than I do (once a week is not enough). I’m burned out on the travel but I’d continue to travel slow (a month here and a 3 months there). 

• Like 1

I love this question.  I asked “What would you do for school if money were no object? “ a year or two ago.  I liked the answers.  I was thinking about asking again.  Travel was the most common answer.  One answer that never came up was to hire individual tutors for different subjects, or even “hire a tutor for x which I don’t love teaching.”

I just like to know what people think is ideal if you can set budget aside.

• Like 2

I would hire someone to work with dd11. Her asd makes it difficult to teach her without constant whining, and I hate the effect it has on our relationship. But she would be worse off in school. Unless I could find a really great school nearby for HFA kids, but I think her unique version of asd means even most schools like that wouldn't quite fit either. So a private tutor would probably be ideal.

We would definitely travel more. High quality music lessons and a language tutor. I'd probably outsource a lot as they get older with random classes. For now though, I pretty much do what I want anyways, and dd11 is the big factor.

I would also be happy to take the maid. We'd probably only need one every other week for the more deep cleaning stuff. I do alright with the surface cleaning. 

Oh! And maybe a chauffer to take my kids places. I limit a lot of what we do based on whether I feel up to taking them places on a regular basis. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, drjuliadc said:

I love this question.  I asked “What would you do for school if money were no object? “ a year or two ago.  I liked the answers.  I was thinking about asking again.  Travel was the most common answer.  One answer that never came up was to hire individual tutors for different subjects, or even “hire a tutor for x which I don’t love teaching.”

I just like to know what people think is ideal if you can set budget aside.

Yes. It's something I revisit as a way to evaluate and envision. I don't think I ever answer quite the same way twice. 

Edited by Plum
  • Like 1

A larger house with better setup, hire out deep cleaning and laundry. Eventually, more online classes so I could concentrate on teaching what I enjoy teaching. Plus, travel. Although my husband doesn't do well with travel, so it would be the kids and me. Unless money could fix that too in this dreamworld. 🙂

I don't think it's so much that money would directly change our homeschool a great deal, except in the areas of online classes and travel. I think money would lessen anxiety and free up time, though, which would indirectly change things for the better.

• Like 2

A weekly cleaning lady and a tutor to come to my house weekly for Spanish. 

I'd like to travel more but honestly it's time and not money necessarily that keeps us from traveling more. That and DH's limited vacation days.

• Like 3

I would own every Sonlight and BFB package as well as every book on Ambleside's list. I would have memberships to the zoo, aquarium, Sea World, ropes courses, etc. Private music and language lessons.

• Like 7

Travel where ever we wanted, with private language tutors to support our language learning.  Unlimited private music lessons and instruments. Private indoor tennis lessons for me (maybe even for the dc!).  Private chef, grocery shopper and cleaner. 

• Like 1

At this point, I'm not sure.  I'd have to give it thought.

A few years back I would have said more travel, but this is really the first time we've stopped traveling long enough to put down roots.  I would definitely want to stay put more so that ds can foster those friendships, but maybe more small trips (and travel first class!).

I'd build a dedicated schoolhouse out behind the house.  It would be done in clean, honey colored wood on the inside with a lot of natural light.  I like having a dedicated workspace and so does ds.  I'd hire a proper language tutor.
Most of our materials would be custom made for math.  There are so many great products out there but they're done in a half-arsed kind of way. Colors and numbers are all random instead of clear progression and continuation.  I'd remake them to follow the c-rod colors.
I'd be able to seek out more "beautiful" books - ones with wonderful illustrations, paper, and covers that feel just right.  Things that beg to be read.
I'd get more science kits and specialized equipment, plus a nice microscope.

And I think I'd employ someone to bounce ideas off of.  I'd want an end of semester sit down with a long term or retired educator to go over our plan with me, help me come up with ideas to address trouble spots, and ways to present new information.  Plus as we get into high school years, help with those timelines and paperwork.

• Like 1

Coming back to say I'd also buy a copy of every level of every major curriculum and some of the lesser known ones and have a room in my home as a dedicated curriculum library where my hs friends could come to browse and look before buying somewhere else. I would love to be my very own friendly neighborhood in-person version of the Cathy Duffy website 😊

• Like 12

For us, resources means money.  So, for younger DD, unlimited resources (money) would look like enrolling her in a local private school and not homeschooling her anymore.

For older DD, it would look like hiring special ed tutors and giving a hefty donation to the local private school so she could participate in electives and afterschool stuff, plus more travel.

If private school still wasn't an option for some reason besides money, unlimited resources would mean more opportunities for interesting travel experiences, and private tutors.

Road/world schooling sounds fun for awhile.

Buy Memoria Press, Sonlight and Logic of English curriculum.

Martial arts, circus school, music, art and swimming classes. Possibly private lessons.

I would buy a lot more books. Rent an apartment with a second floor just for books and a hs room. Piano lessons. Take all the field trips ds wants (Egypt, Rome, Japan.... he dreams big). Hire someone for help in writing. Hire someone to help clean and cook so I could just read more. 

One week out of every 10 for travel.

We'd probably move to a better-designed (not larger) house on a slightly larger property and make a track around the outside for DS to run on. We would have a room just for school and reading (with one more large bookcase), and a vegetable garden.

Someone would come by for a little while each weekday and clean and make us lunch while we do school.

But probably no changes in curriculum--I'm able to buy the books I want already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Someone would come by for a little while each weekday and clean and make us lunch while we do school.

Oh. This would be lovely!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, Jentrovert said:

A larger house with better setup, hire out deep cleaning and laundry. Eventually, more online classes so I could concentrate on teaching what I enjoy teaching. Plus, travel. Although my husband doesn't do well with travel, so it would be the kids and me. Unless money could fix that too in this dreamworld. 🙂

I don't think it's so much that money would directly change our homeschool a great deal, except in the areas of online classes and travel. I think money would lessen anxiety and free up time, though, which would indirectly change things for the better.

The bolded is what I'd do I think. I'd definitely like a designated library. Sometimes I think a homeschool room would be nice, to keep everything more contained, but on the other hand, I think a lot of what happens here happens because the school stuff is literally EVERYWHERE. I don't know if I'd want to give up homeschooling in the dining room even if we had the chance now that we've done it this way so long. I'd have to pick some type of decor otherwise. 😂

The only other thing I can think of is I'd hire someone to do a co-op like the one described on the other thread that meets twice a month for a few hours at a time and is only enrichment, so that we could participate but I would not have to start it myself. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

The bolded is what I'd do I think. I'd definitely like a designated library. Sometimes I think a homeschool room would be nice, to keep everything more contained, but on the other hand, I think a lot of what happens here happens because the school stuff is literally EVERYWHERE. I don't know if I'd want to give up homeschooling in the dining room even if we had the chance now that we've done it this way so long. I'd have to pick some type of decor otherwise. 😂

I'd describe my current decor as "early elementary with a splash of preschool." Soon we'll be firmly in the elementary period. 🤣 

I go back and forth on whether I'd want a homeschool room (not that it's a possibility). On one hand, it would be nice to be more contained. On the other, I like being able to easily start dinner or change a load of laundry while supervising school. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jentrovert said:

I'd describe my current decor as "early elementary with a splash of preschool." Soon we'll be firmly in the elementary period. 🤣 

I go back and forth on whether I'd want a homeschool room (not that it's a possibility). On one hand, it would be nice to be more contained. On the other, I like being able to easily start dinner or change a load of laundry while supervising school. 

We share the same motif! 😂

• Haha 1

When our income increased I found myself outsourcing everything possible with utter glee as well as private music lessons.

so that’s what I’d do / what I actually did with increased resources. 

With unlimited resources I’d get a 5 bedroom house with about half an acre, About 1800-2000 sf, NOT open concept, with a nice yard, patio, place to grill and hire people to do the lawn as well as handyman for upkeep and repairs. On a safe street for playing. We rented a similar house for a year and it was lovely to have no one sharing our walls as well as plenty of room for guests, get together and play dates.  It is very challenging to enjoy guests in a 1100 square foot home, or even in a large apartment. Being comfortable to invite people over And room for kids and friends to play outside really makes homeschooling easier because you can always invite friends over. Even for teens it makes things easier because they have space when friends come over. And of course there’s also more room for homeschooling. 🙂 

where I live such a house would be about 3 mil, and where we used to live we Were at the height of the housing bubble so beyond our more limited budget then 🙂 

Edited by Calming Tea

14 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

When our income increased I found myself outsourcing everything possible with utter glee as well as private music lessons.

Oh! This made me add one. I'd outsource music PRACTICE. Someone else would have to come over and make them practice. That's the worst, LOL. 

• Haha 1

I would hire a driver. I don't mind housework and I can get quite a bit done while DS is working independently, but it kills me to spend time driving to activities, appointments, friends houses, etc. Feels like wasted time to me. 

• Like 3

It's would look pretty much the same except in a nicer, bigger house with a separate schoolroom and newer books instead of hand me downs. Everyone with their own laptops and with a color laser printer. 

And like others, there'd be a lot more travel! 

• Like 1

At this age, I'd work on creating more contacts for apprenticeships. Maybe find some tours or businesses that allow them to follow an employee for the day. Basically, more hands-on activities that relate to what they might be interested in doing. 

I'd add some martial arts lessons, maybe swim as well. They both stopped doing lessons because they preferred practice over recitals/games. I think they'd like something that is more intrinsic, where they can see their progress for themselves without making a show out of it. 

• Like 2

Travel! And some one to cook and clean. 

I'd really love to put my eBay store on hiatus for awhile, so enough "resources" to enable that. It's hard running the store and homeschooling and keeping up with the house. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:20 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh! This made me add one. I'd outsource music PRACTICE. Someone else would have to come over and make them practice. That's the worst, LOL. 

One of my cousins had a violin tutor who did this.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:20 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I have some students who pay for more than one lesson a week, and it’s very obvious their parents are paying for me to make sure they practice at least x times a week. I also used to tutor at the cheer gym, and same thing-parents were paying me less to actually teach and more to make sure the work was done (and given that the going rate for private lessons there was $1/minute, and I was booked just like a tumbling coach, supervising homework was pretty lucrative). 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, drjuliadc said:

One answer that never came up was to hire individual tutors for different subjects, or even “hire a tutor for x which I don’t love teaching.”

I did outsource all classes from when my kids started homeschooling in 4th and 5th. Before that they were in public schools. 

If budget wasn’t an issue, kids would have gone to private schools followed by after school enrichment activities. I would have a chauffeur to drive my kids and I around (technically we are using Uber as chauffeur right now for when my husband can’t do the driving). 

If we homeschool, I would have a spacious  school room with a sunroom attached and have tutors come and teach. The school room would also be equipped with lab equipment and a lab bench with taps and basins. I would also have a soundproof room for music and audio engineering. 

The kitchen would have to be spacious and airy with a big kitchen island to serve as food prep area. Great for home economics/culinary courses/experimentation. My DS14 cooks so no need for a chef unless the chef is great with many picky eaters in one household.

I rather not have a housekeeper due to privacy issues. My husband handles most of the housework and if money isn’t an issue, he would probably get the most useful (to him) cleaning tools regardless of cost.