Menu

K12 Human Odyssey

hands-on-mama

We've used it as a spine.  Some sections are just read, and for others we add extra resources.  I wanted to work on writing and felt like my kid had a decent grasp of history before starting middle school, so we do writing assignments over different topics.  It depends on the section, but sometimes I'll have him write a short paper with a 1 hr time limit over a week's worth of material, while other times he'll spend a few days writing a few pages.  Sometimes I'll ask for a compare and contrast (maybe between 2 civilizations), sometimes a simple report, and other times an essay.  For a big topic like WWI he might read from a variety of resources for 3 weeks or more and then spend a week outlining and writing.  I adapt it based on what other writing he's doing at the time and what points we want to make with the topic.  

Edited by ClemsonDana
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

My kids read on their own, create a timeline notebook, and write a weekly summary of something interesting to them.

Thank you! That sounds like it would be simple. My oldest is in 6th. She wants to do a unit study we found revolving around the Percy Jackson books, but I also want her to get a sweep through history. 

• Like 1

Just now, ClemsonDana said:

We've used it as a spine.  Some sections are just read, and for others we add extra resources.  I wanted to work on writing and felt like my kid had a decent grasp of history before starting middle school, so we do writing assignments over different topics.  It depends on the section, but sometimes I'll have him write a short paper with a 1 hr time limit over a week's worth of material, while other times he'll spend a few days writing a few pages.  Sometimes I'll ask for a compare and contrast (maybe between 2 civilizations), sometimes a simple report, and other times an essay.  For a big topic like WWI he might read for 3 weeks or more and then spend a week outlining and writing.  I adapt it based on what other writing he's doing at the time and what points we want to make with the topic.  

Oy, I so wish my girl was at this point. If you wouldn’t mind responding to my other thread, that would be awesome. She has a hard time with workload, so I am trying to work her up to these things. 

I read it out loud to my kids, reading about half a chapter at a time. I've been reading out loud from a history spine since my oldest was in kindergarten. My boys love it, and history is their absolute favorite subject. 

After I read it loud, my 7th grader writes a short 4-5 sentence summary about it. Sometimes these summaries are written in foldables that I've printed out. We're currently using some great ones about US history that I found on Teachers Pay Teachers. Twice a week he picks a book about a topic covered in the reading, reads a section, and then writes a summary of the section one day and makes a short outline of another section on the second day. I try to have lots of books checked out from the library about events and people from the time period we're studying.

We used it as a spine.  I would go beyond narration, which isn't even as advanced as summarization, and have the student write short papers about selected topics--not just what happened, but why it's important and/or interesting, how it compares/connects to something else, it's relevance to today, etc.  And not all of these things at once--pick one and have the student expand upon it.  One form is particularly useful for these sorts of things--summary and response.  Have the student summarize the relevant information in the chapter and then write a response that focuses on why it's important or whatever.

When I say short papers, I mean meeting your student where they are.  So if that's several pages that's great (probably too much, actually), but just a few paragraphs would be fine too.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Ok, I'm hyjacking.

Tucking all these ideas away... anyone have a list of maps that line up?

What I need for Son 3 (my ASD child) is a workbook type to fill in, (not the k12 one which requires signing up. He hates online learning.) He is doing so well with All American History this year so something along those lines for Human Odyssey would be great.

Here!

https://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-World-History-Student-Semesters/dp/B001BKJ6XU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3TUG8YZO7R8NT&keywords=intermediate+world+history+a&qid=1573276919&sprefix=Intermediate+world+%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 12:15 AM, Paradox5 said:

Ok, I'm hyjacking.

Tucking all these ideas away... anyone have a list of maps that line up?

What I need for Son 3 (my ASD child) is a workbook type to fill in, (not the k12 one which requires signing up. He hates online learning.) He is doing so well with All American History this year so something along those lines for Human Odyssey would be great.

I have something I created for HO3, and I have lined up Map Trek maps with it. 

19 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Thank you!! I have not had him do anything but fill out a guided reading workbook I created. I might need to add a project or something for a credit. Did you add papers or anything? 

We also read essays on current events and thought about them in the context of the history we were learning, and he wrote a short paper (like 1-2 pages or less) every few weeks.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 12:23 AM, hands-on-mama said:

I was going to send the same link. I bought this with the text, but now I'm trying to sell it because we didn't end up using HO at all. But there is a workbook for anyone who wants one. I assume there's one for all the levels, but I don't know thats for sure.