Menu

Favorite Holling Clancy Holling book? If we liked Pagoo....

ktgrok

So we read Pagoo as part of our Marine science unit and the kids loved it. The two year old refuses to accept we finished it and keeps begging for it. So I promised to get a "different Pagoo book" - aka another by the same author, in the same style. 

So, which should I get? We are covering middle ages right now, and Space science, so I don't think there are any that line up with that. Which is fine. We already have stuff for those topics. So I just want the one that is most enjoyable for wiggly kids. The short chapters of Pagoo were perfect for them, so something similar would be what I'm looking for. 

Ok, two votes for Paddle to the Sea. If Tree in the Trail is at all sad we will skip that for now. Between my SAD and my son's PANDAS we don't need sad, lol. 

I was thinking Minn of the Mississippi just because we loved the crab character so much that I'm sure the kids would like a turtle too. But Paddle to the Sea does look so nice! And the maps..hmmm.....that might be the one. 

Minn of the Mississippi was quite good.  I know I learned a whole lot about terrapins and turtles as well as the Mississippi River.  I grew up in part on the Great Lakes so fondly remember watching the Paddle to the Sea movie pretty often in school.  I was so excited to read the book to my kids and they were very so so about it......We all loved Pagoo.

Edited by mumto2

38 minutes ago, wathe said:

Paddle to the Sea.   The movie is available free on the National Film Board of Canada website.

ETA:  And while you're at the NFB site, soak up some Canadiana:  watch the Log Driver's Waltz, The Sweater, and some Ti Jean (there are several).

I showed my kids the NFB shorts and they thought I was a total nut for liking them.  I still sing the Log Driver's Waltz!!!!

58 minutes ago, wathe said:

Paddle to the Sea.   The movie is available free on the National Film Board of Canada website.

ETA:  And while you're at the NFB site, soak up some Canadiana:  watch the Log Driver's Waltz, The Sweater, and some Ti Jean (there are several).

The VHS of Paddle to the Sea was super expensive back when my kids were little so I never bought it.  I may watch it.......thanks.

Minn of the Mississippi. 

Loved them all, but that particular book is easily in my top five read-aloud favorites from 18 years of homeschooling. I have lived practically on the River my whole life, so that is a contributing factor! 

Tree in the Trail isn't necessarily sad (as in Old Yeller sad) but @Seasider too's description as "melancholy" is spot-on. 

• Like 1