Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
ByeByeMartha

Credits from multiple colleges?

Does anyone here have experience with their student gaining college credit from multiple (community) colleges and then transferring them to another college/university for, perhaps, Jr & Sr year?

My DD is attending community college part-time and it's possible some classes she may want are available at another local community college so she could end up attending 2 cc (either at different times or concurrently). I suppose that's not typical, but I don't see anything anywhere that says it's not workable. One local college I know of seems to take credits from various sources (CLEP, online college, cc etc) when you transfer. Of course, it's your responsibility to know what courses transfer equally (some may only transfer as an elective) and whether the final college/uni has additional requirements for graduation.

TIA for your wisdom! 🙂

It's all specific to the university!  If you are talking about your state Us and your state run CC's it's likely that everything will transfer.

But for out of state Us or private Us you really would have to just find out by calling them.

• Like 1

As an advisor, I see that on a regular basis that students have credits from multiple institutions. Not an issue. There should be a database on the registrar's website where you can check whether course X from college Y transfers as course Z at the receiving institution. I recommend doing that before signing up for the class. But if a school takes transfer credits at all, it does not matter whether they are from the same or from different places.

• Like 1

My kid did CC locally and is now out of state at a flagship U.  They took all his credits no problem.  If you want them to apply to specific degree requirements, you really have to do your homework and it can vary my institution.  

Transferology was able to give us some info on this but you may need to check with individual institutions.  It's definitely easiest to head somewhere your CC's have a transfer agreement.

https://www.transferology.com/index.htm

What happens sometimes is the credits transfer as general credits towards a total number of credits needed to graduate.

For them to transfer to fulfill a specific requirement, you need to check and see if they will count. You can check ahead of time or — if things are already done then see what turns out to transfer as a specific credit and what transfers as general credits.

For a lot of liberal arts majors there might be 30 hours that can transfer as general credits and count towards the 120 total credits needed even if they don’t transfer as meeting a specific requirement.

But ideally you could check ahead and either take classes known to transfer to a specific school where you plan to transfer, or talk to someone about classes that are likely/known to transfer in general (versus classes that are likely/known to count towards an AA but not a BA).

Edit:  sometimes there is a choice between an easier class that can fulfill an AA requirement or a harder class that would likely fulfill an AA or BA requirement.  (Aka and definitelu fulfills it at local schools with transfer agreements, but might not transfer to just any 4-year school in the country — especially as meeting a specific requirement). 

Schools have “residency” requirements for classes, total and in the major, that have to be taken from the school.  Other classes can be transfers from multiple schools.  You can see degree requirements for a school.  They might have a limit for transfer credits and then a limit for CLEP/DSST credits.  

Edited by Lecka

My dd will likely be in this position. Our CC has an agreement with several other CC's where one can have the courses all show up on the main CC's page if the main CC has a comparable course in the catalog that just wasn't offered. The student pays the main CC and the main CC pays the CC giving the course.  If the course isn't offered though, then the student has to apply to the other CC and pay them directly, and then have the courses from any institutions transfer on to the final transfer school. So, she'll just have to have transcripts from any schools sent on. Doesn't seem like an issue at all. (And if financial aid is a consideration for you--the way it works here is that the aid just goes to one location--usually the main CC. They can fill out some kind of form when you show you are taking a course at another CC so that you get aid for all of the credits taken, but some might be in the form of a "refund" from the main school for money you paid directly to another CC.) 

The one issue you will have is paying for transcripts from multiple schools, which can add up if you are putting in several applications. 🙂

Thank you all for your helpful replies! 😊 The key is to know exactly where my DD will end up...which we're not sure of yet, but she's planning to stay in state. Certainly makes it challenging if you don't know where you're eventually going, so I figure we should try to cater to the one that has the most stringent requirements. Many CC have a DTA (direct transfer agreement of an Associate'es degree) with some of the in-state universities. Doesn't always guarantee it will be seamless, though. I already noticed one college requires an additional English course beyond the 2.  There is also no guarantee that requirements/transfer equivalencies won't change over the next couple of years.

Oh well...I was her guidance counselor throughout her high school years, so we'll figure this all out as we go. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ByeByeMartha said:

Thank you all for your helpful replies! 😊 The key is to know exactly where my DD will end up...which we're not sure of yet, but she's planning to stay in state. Certainly makes it challenging if you don't know where you're eventually going, so I figure we should try to cater to the one that has the most stringent requirements. Many CC have a DTA (direct transfer agreement of an Associate'es degree) with some of the in-state universities. Doesn't always guarantee it will be seamless, though. I already noticed one college requires an additional English course beyond the 2.  There is also no guarantee that requirements/transfer equivalencies won't change over the next couple of years.

Oh well...I was her guidance counselor throughout her high school years, so we'll figure this all out as we go. 

Yes, definitely whenever you are looking at a transfer situation, I think it’s really important for a parent to help as advisor. I found with my kids that you really need a third “advisor“ as a go-between, because the advisor at each school may or may not be able to help you put all the information together that you need. You really need to be able to look at where the credits will transfer the best as well as the other factors that are important to you and your student. Credits towards the same program at two different schools don’t always transfer the same. And some majors have more stringent requirements than others. We’re in a state with an automatic transfer agreement, but my dd is going into education, and specific gen-Ed’s are required along with other courses. And the requirements are so different from school to school, it can add another whole semester in some cases. So we’ve really had to be on top of things from the start. My son’s transfer was much easier to plan! 

Edited by MerryAtHope