Menu

What's with the ads?

Tanaqui

Cambridge Face Memory test

I did this test some time ago and got a high score, though I  don't recall what exactly it was.  I have brain fog issues now so I was surprised I still did well at this.  

74.  I have a really awful memory for names and faces, but my main problem is connecting the two.  I may feel like I've seen your face before but be completely unable to place you.  I guess I am not totally surprised to fall between the average and the "you are faceblind" threshold.

I will say that at least 3 of the guys looked like people I knew either in person or from movies.  So it was a lot easier to remember those faces.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I actually think that I'm quite good at faces.  (I have subbed a lot over the years and had to instantly learn faces and names).  But I had trouble seeing through the pixellation.  So I'm thinking for me it was more of a vision problem than a face memory problem. 

I think you weren't supposed to see through it.  It was testing whether you could recognise a face that wasn't so clear, as if you were looking at a blurry or distorted photo.

• Like 4

I got 94%.  I figured I'd do alright, I am always recognising actors on tv or in ads and such when no one else does.  

2 hours ago, whitehawk said:

All clean-shaven white men. Maybe because it would be easier to distinguish someone based on gender even if you didn't actually recognize the person.

Yes, this is what I think.  It's keeping down the variables.  If there was greater variation the test would likely have to be longer.

• Like 2

71%, but I accidentally clicked 2 once when I was sure it was 3.

It would be interesting to see how my husband does. He is much better at faces than I am.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:48 PM, StellaM said:

Yes, visual imagery in dreams. Vivid and colorful.

So the capacity to produce visual images is there somewhere, but it isn't under my conscious control. I was also able to 'see' colorful images in the months post my first pregnancy, but again, not under my control. I saw images of sketches for embroidery instead. It faded away after a few months.  Pretty weird, huh.

I don't visualize at all when I'm reading - in fact, I skip over most visual description because it's just so boring. I've never been able to 'see' a character from a novel. I can experience moods as I read, and sometimes 'hear' the writer's or character's voice. 

The only things I can visualize in my awake life are memories of things that I have actually experienced. Other than that, though, nothing.

Like you, I do have very vivid dreams, though.

• Like 3

What an interesting test! I am not surprised at my score; I got a 56%. I was guessing for almost the entire part after the first set of six faces. The pixilated/obscured part seemed impossible. 

I would also add what another poster said up-thread, which is that IRL, there would be many more distractions which make it even less likely I could get this right. I am thinking about conversing, remembering their name or basic facts about themselves; I'm noticing their hair and clothes (because I just can't help it; that's what I see). 

It would be interesting if dh did this because he has extremely good memory for faces/body posture/mannerisms and recognizes people - no joke - whom he remembers competing against in wrestling forty years ago! He'll say, "I remember that guy! He was in my weight class and wrestled for Athelton." This is forty years later! And he's chance-meeting them, like at a gas station or coming out of a store. 

The interesting thing is, I remember names, but I remember them as if I am seeing them written. So, for example, if I got to a party and meet five new people, chances are good I will never recognize them again in my life, but for years I will remember that I met a Shelley, a Michael, a Kismet (because I thought, "really? Kismet?? Such an unusual name!), a Tom and a Lisa. 

• Like 2

I still don't think that this test really tests what it is supposed to test.  At least as it intersects with real life.  In real life, faces are 3-D.  They are dynamic.  They are not pixelated! 

• Like 1

It won’t let me do the test because I am on my phone, but I have an excellent memory for faces and usually the names that go with them.  I’m very visual though.

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I still don't think that this test really tests what it is supposed to test.  At least as it intersects with real life.  In real life, faces are 3-D.  They are dynamic.  They are not pixelated! 

Yeah, but humans are generally so good at recognizing faces that we see them even when they're not really there.

• Like 2

I got 83%, which is higher than I was expecting. I was feeling pretty confident until the pixelated part. That was tough!

Edited by Selkie

50 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Yeah, but humans are generally so good at recognizing faces that we see them even when they're not really there.

Yes, that’s why people think they see The Virgin Mary on a frost-covered window, or Abraham Lincoln in a piece of toast. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

It’s not like I can’t see that there is face. 

What’s interesting to me is that I don’t think I actually am that great with faces. I would have guessed that I’d be just below or right at average. 

Oh, and in terms of the race and gender... I wonder if people would have a different score spread for a different set. Keeping it one narrow grouping made sense, but we’re so focused on white men in media... I wonder if it would make a difference. Or if some groups would score better or worse on particular groups...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Oh, and in terms of the race and gender... I wonder if people would have a different score spread for a different set. Keeping it one narrow grouping made sense, but we’re so focused on white men in media... I wonder if it would make a difference. Or if some groups would score better or worse on particular groups...

That would be interesting. 

• Like 1

I know people generally recognise people of their own race better than those of other races, though I think it also depends on their local demographics.

• Like 2

I got 69, which is far better than I expected. I focused on the eyebrows and described them in words for each one, which I think helped. That doesn't work so well in real life as many people have very similar eyebrows.

• Like 1

89%

I thought I would do well, but for the last part I was going completely off gut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xahm said:

I got 69, which is far better than I expected. I focused on the eyebrows and described them in words for each one, which I think helped. That doesn't work so well in real life as many people have very similar eyebrows.

I did the same thing - I even said the words out loud!

In real life I would never be able to say out loud "bushy eyebrows, wrinkles by the eyes" in a conversation, lol, so I don't do well then. 

Oh, and I'm also tERRIBLE with names - even people that I know well I forge their names. 

So between the two it is no wonder I have social anxiety and kept to myself. Why bother to meet new people when you won't remember them 😞

But I will say my ADHD meds help - but only with names, not faces. 

I was thinking about this thread.  Specifically, is there a thing where you are really good at knowing the faces of the people in front of you but have a hard time visualizing the faces in your memory?  I was thinking today while watching a crime show that I would make a terrible witness.  I would be fine recognizing the face out of a mug shot book but sitting down with a sketch artist?  Forget it!