Menu

Cambridge Face Memory test

Tanaqui

42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I still don't think that this test really tests what it is supposed to test.  At least as it intersects with real life.  In real life, faces are 3-D.  They are dynamic.  They are not pixelated! 

Yeah, but humans are generally so good at recognizing faces that we see them even when they're not really there.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Yeah, but humans are generally so good at recognizing faces that we see them even when they're not really there.

Yes, that’s why people think they see The Virgin Mary on a frost-covered window, or Abraham Lincoln in a piece of toast. 

• Like 1

Oh, and in terms of the race and gender... I wonder if people would have a different score spread for a different set. Keeping it one narrow grouping made sense, but we’re so focused on white men in media... I wonder if it would make a difference. Or if some groups would score better or worse on particular groups...

52 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Oh, and in terms of the race and gender... I wonder if people would have a different score spread for a different set. Keeping it one narrow grouping made sense, but we’re so focused on white men in media... I wonder if it would make a difference. Or if some groups would score better or worse on particular groups...

That would be interesting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xahm said:

I got 69, which is far better than I expected. I focused on the eyebrows and described them in words for each one, which I think helped. That doesn't work so well in real life as many people have very similar eyebrows.

I did the same thing - I even said the words out loud!

In real life I would never be able to say out loud "bushy eyebrows, wrinkles by the eyes" in a conversation, lol, so I don't do well then. 

Oh, and I'm also tERRIBLE with names - even people that I know well I forge their names. 

So between the two it is no wonder I have social anxiety and kept to myself. Why bother to meet new people when you won't remember them 😞

But I will say my ADHD meds help - but only with names, not faces. 

I was thinking about this thread.  Specifically, is there a thing where you are really good at knowing the faces of the people in front of you but have a hard time visualizing the faces in your memory?  I was thinking today while watching a crime show that I would make a terrible witness.  I would be fine recognizing the face out of a mug shot book but sitting down with a sketch artist?  Forget it!