Menu

Orthographic processing help

Kanin

48 minutes ago, Mainer said:

Yep, that's where I'm at, but that's a whole 'nother discussion 😄

Yeah, I was reading on an SLP thread today and the person was trying to figure out if being hyperlexic in K5 would affect later comprehension and what they should do. Masters in SLP but somehow missed the boat. Like they're so busy working the system that they forget the bigger picture.

On 11/9/2019 at 3:20 PM, Mainer said:

He's been getting Tier 2 but I'm pretty disenchanted with Tier 2, and Tier 1 for that matter. Our Tier 1 literacy program is not bad as far as phonics goes, but like any program, it goes too fast for a certain percentage of kids. And then they're in Tier 2, but a 30 minute Tier 2 session, with two kids with different needs, goes by ridiculously fast and it's so difficult to get enough done for both kids' unique needs. 

This is my gripe about education in general. In the push to accelerate kids and raise the standard for everybody, the "basics" get glossed over and many kids just never get them. This sets them up for Tier 2 or possibly even Tier 3, when "the basics" would have prevented a lot of troubles. /rant

I like word lists.  You go through something like my syllables program and then find what they need to work on, I usually alternate between something with 1 syllable words and 2 syllable words and alternate between the two.  Once you have each student at their level and bookmarked what they're working on, you just alternate between students with their word lists.  If they pre-read their own line of words while you're listening to the other student, you can get about 80 - 90% done with 2 students of what you can with 1 student.  Also, if you have charts, they can be looking up the sounds themselves while you're working with the other student.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

I like word lists.  You go through something like my syllables program and then find what they need to work on, I usually alternate between something with 1 syllable words and 2 syllable words and alternate between the two.  Once you have each student at their level and bookmarked what they're working on, you just alternate between students with their word lists.  If they pre-read their own line of words while you're listening to the other student, you can get about 80 - 90% done with 2 students of what you can with 1 student.  Also, if you have charts, they can be looking up the sounds themselves while you're working with the other student.

Good idea. Off to make some lists!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mainer said:

Good idea. Off to make some lists!

There are lists out there! Blend Phonics, Webster's Speller, some of the other phonics programs on Don's Page, or, if there is a specific sound they struggle with, I google "words with oo" or "words with ou," and get a start on a list.

Also, depending on how motivated/self aware the students are, you may need to number each line on their list or move a little flag to where they are so there is no question/arguing about where they are.