Menu

Application Venting

easypeasy

Just venting here to get this off my chest. DH doesn't want to hear it. 😉 Feel free to join in. lol

1) The application says: "Please list your principal work, extracurricular, and volunteer activities in their order of importance to you." (even if attaching a resume)

When DD does this, the popup window has her fill in the activity name, list what she did, how many hours per week and how many weeks/year she did this (I HATE THIS QUESTION SO MUCH), and the dates during which she participated in this event (month/year to month/year).

Then, it proceeds to list these items IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER!! NOT "in their order of importance to you."

🤯

DD will likely be called to interview for a top-tier scholarship and honors-program group at this school. I can just see the interview, where they focus on the top-listed activities, thinking they are the most important to DD, when in reality, the top two are just things she started doing in middle school and just continued. Definitely not her "passion projects."

Yes, there's a resume attached as well, but things are listed chronologically on it, so.... it doesn't much fix things. 🙄

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but gah! It bugs me!!

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

There should be arrows in the upper right corner of each entry that you can use to move the activities up or down on your list. Are those arrows missing? Or is the app reordering your activities even after you move them? I'll see if I can get back into DS's old application and take a picture.

ETA: See the up & down arrows in the upper right? Those still work for me to change the order.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 8.25.02 AM.png

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Corraleno said:

There should be arrows in the upper right corner of each entry that you can use to move the activities up or down on your list. Are those arrows missing? Or is the app reordering your activities even after you move them? I'll see if I can get back into DS's old application and take a picture.

ETA: See the up & down arrows in the upper right? Those still work for me to change the order.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 8.25.02 AM.png

Is this from the Common App? The issue we're having isn't a Common App problem. Sadly, there aren't any arrows to be had! It has her list her "active" dates for each activity and then sorts them below by the start-date. lol No way to fix it other than to fudge the dates, so she's going to have to leave it as-is.

Thank you, though!!! 🙂