Jump to content

Menu

Easy, cheap, yummy snack idea?


Recommended Posts

Going to a friend’s house on Saturday with about 8 ladies. We’re all going to bring a snack to share.  I’m bored with my go-to of chips and homemade salsa, but have no clever ideas.

What are your cheap, easy to make, yummy snack ideas to share with 8?  Sweet or savory.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexican Roll up - mix about half cream-cheese/sour cream. Add some salsa, Add some shredded Mexican cheese (or whatever you like). You can add (or not) sliced olives, green onions, chicken, etc. Spread a layer of the mixture on a flour tortilla. Roll it up, wrap in saran wrap. Wait till you are ready to leave, unwrap, slice in about 1" lengths, put on plate, enjoy. 

Like this recipe, but I mix the salsa in with the cream cheese/sour cream. It saves having to take the salsa separately. I often make a bunch of these and freeze them. They thaw and you slice and presto you are ready again! 


Edited to include link - https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/mexican-tortilla-rollups/

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Deviled eggs are yummy!

Pigs/Cows in a blanket:  Lil' Smokies pork or beef mini-sausages and crescent roll dough.  Store brand works on the dough.  Cut it in stips with a pizza cutter, roll dough around each little sausage and follow the baking directions on the crescent roll package.

Little sandwiches?  Pimento cheese/chicken salad/deli meat and cheese sandwiches cut into super-fancy-and-impressive triangles (remove the crusts if you are feeling ambitious).

In one of the Mitford books, Father Tim made a tray of peanut butter and jelly fancy sandwiches (cut in triangles and without crusts) in honor of a favorite elderly parishioner and everyone devoured them.  I think that's actually an original idea.

What about pumpkin-something (muffins with chocolate chips, etc.)?  Or some spicy tomato soup to serve in little cups and top with croutons?

Party food is so fun!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Potato salad balls are fun. Mash 3 large potatoes (a little lumpy is ok), add 1/3 c. Mayo, 1 T lemon juice, 1/4 t. sugar, then gold in 1/2 c. cooked frozen vegetables. Firm into 1" balls and chill in the refrigerator. 

Obviously the recipe is very flexible! This is just to give you the idea.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SusanC said:

I live deviled eggs, but trying to get them peeled without shredding the egg makes me crazy.

I did it once using some sort of hack, but I can’t remember which hack I used!!!  I think it involved adding vinegar to the water.  Whatever I did, the eggs peeled beautifully.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I live deviled eggs, but trying to get them peeled without shredding the egg makes me crazy.

I had the same problem for years, once I started cooking them in my instant pot, I never had a problem again.  No idea why doing them in the pressure cooker verses on the stove makes a difference but it really does.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamari almonds.  toss whole raw almonds in tamari, then toast in the oven until dry and toasty.

Apple chips: sliced apples in my food dehydrator.  It will work in the oven too, set very low, but needs more tending.

Fruit leather:  Fruit puree in dehydrator or oven on very low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myra said:

a dip of Cream cheese mixed with marshmellow fluff

then apple wedges or orange slices for dipping

 

sounds weird but is yummy

I do this but add a spoonful or 2 of jelly or jam and then thin it with orange juice. And I serve with strawberries.

For apples, I use cream cheese, fluff, Brown sugar and thin with milk. Sprinkle chopped heath bar or heath bits in top.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bambam said:

Mexican Roll up - mix about half cream-cheese/sour cream. Add some salsa, Add some shredded Mexican cheese (or whatever you like). You can add (or not) sliced olives, green onions, chicken, etc. Spread a layer of the mixture on a flour tortilla. Roll it up, wrap in saran wrap. Wait till you are ready to leave, unwrap, slice in about 1" lengths, put on plate, enjoy. 

Like this recipe, but I mix the salsa in with the cream cheese/sour cream. It saves having to take the salsa separately. I often make a bunch of these and freeze them. They thaw and you slice and presto you are ready again! 

So good...

If you do these, Garga, give them a few hours in frig to firm up to make slicing easier. Or pop them in the freezer for a while. 

And when you are slicing them...save the ends of each roll (the first and last slices, IOW, the ones that aren't pinwheels) for yourself for a snack the next day. 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend came over for dinner and brought these. YUM! This looks like the recipe. Not easy in my opinion.

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-poppers/

Sam's has Angie's Boom Chicka Pop Sweet and Salty Popcorn in a big bag. Another customer recommended it to me. Oh man that stuff is addictive. Super cheap and easy. 

https://www.samsclub.com/p/bcp-sweet-salty-23-oz/prod21060218

Edited by Plum
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

People gobble this dip up whenever it's made. 

1 block cream cheese

1 jar of newmans mango or pineapple salsa

shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese (depending on spice preferences)

Spread cream cheese on oven safe dish. Top w/ salsa and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melting and happy. Serve w/ multigrain tostitos. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unsinkable said:

Yummy...I use pretzels, potato chips, m&m's and raisins.

I have a similar mix to you and @MercyA  mine is pretzels, salted/roasted almonds, m&ms, and teddy grahams. 

Eta: that dip thread has so many yummy recipes on it!

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

People gobble this dip up whenever it's made. 

1 block cream cheese

1 jar of newmans mango or pineapple salsa

shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese (depending on spice preferences)

Spread cream cheese on oven safe dish. Top w/ salsa and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melting and happy. Serve w/ multigrain tostitos. 

I’m sure this is a dumb question...but what kind/size of dish do you put this on? I think I’m going to make this over the weekend. Might as well get started on the holiday dip-fest!😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SusanC said:

Potato salad balls are fun. Mash 3 large potatoes (a little lumpy is ok), add 1/3 c. Mayo, 1 T lemon juice, 1/4 t. sugar, then gold in 1/2 c. cooked frozen vegetables. Firm into 1" balls and chill in the refrigerator. 

Obviously the recipe is very flexible! This is just to give you the idea.

These sound absolutely fascinating to me.  I'll have to give them a try!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I take deviled eggs to gatherings and people scarf them down because nobody wants to make them.  🙂  Recently I took veggie pinwheels and they were quick and popular.  I used flavored garden vegetable cream cheese, spread some on tortillas, topped with shredded carrots (bought already shredded), chopped celery, and cucumber (cut out the seed part, cut up the hard part, and then drain/squeeze with a paper towel or it makes a watery mess).  Roll up, chill, and slice.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 6:25 PM, mmasc said:

I’m sure this is a dumb question...but what kind/size of dish do you put this on? I think I’m going to make this over the weekend. Might as well get started on the holiday dip-fest!😁

 

Not dumb at all - anything it fits in really. It's a super flexible dip. I think the platter I usually use is a bit bigger than a piece of paper with edges that go up a bit (I'm terrible with descriptions). Something like this, apologizes if the picture is huge!

1626985138_ScreenShot2019-11-11at9_17_53PM.png.676a07d76c084396dfc3acd0b0df78e6.png

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 7:09 PM, Garga said:

I did it once using some sort of hack, but I can’t remember which hack I used!!!  I think it involved adding vinegar to the water.  Whatever I did, the eggs peeled beautifully.  

My no-fail method:  let eggs sit out overnight, and then STEAM them.  

I put my old collapsible metal steamer in a pot, add water just til below the level of the steamer (so about an 1+ inch), add room-temp eggs, cover, turn on heat (med-high), cook 17 minutes (for large eggs), and run under cold water when done. 

If I'm cooking only one or two eggs, I cook a minute less, if piled in there, a minute or two more....  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...