Menu

Bunny Hutch recommendations

Hoping to get dd11 a mini lop or some other mini bunny for her birthday soon. I've had recommended to me a hutch with a wire bottom...better for their feet and to keep clean? 🤷‍♀️

Any specific hutch recommendations for indoor bunny (maybe even in kid's bedroom?)? Links welcome. 

Also, if you've litter trained a bunny, advice welcome. I'm still trying to train my 4yo, so....lol. 

Please don't keep a bunny in a hutch with a wire bottom. It's really hard on their feet. I don't know why someone told you it's better for their feet! We used a large dog crate for out indoor bunny with the plastic crate bottom. There was room for a litter box, food, water, toys, and a big box where she liked to sleep and it was easy to clean. Our bunny spent most of the day free ranging around the house and only spent time in her cage when we were away from home or at night.

As for litter training, it helps if the bunny is spayed/neutered. Our unspayed female never totally got the litter box idea and I spent a lot of time vacuuming. Do NOT use kitty litter. We used litter made from paper pulp and put hay at one end. In one end, out the other!

• Like 1

We do have some of our rabbits in wire bottom cages but with foot pads to prevent sore hocks.  These are not the wire bottoms you tend to see on hutches but ones that are very small. Other breeds can’t have those so they have solid bottoms.  Ours are litter trained.  I prefer making your own cage or using a very large dog crate. Most commercially sold cages are not big enough. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Litter box training is very very easy at least in our experience.  All we've done to train four different rabbits has been to put some litter in.  Put some of their poop in there.  Put their hay next to the litter box because they like to eat and use the litter box at the same time. 

Same for us.  

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Also, you can use your rabbit pellets (poop not food) in your garden as an instant fertilizer and it's not a hot fertilizer, so it won't burn your plants like other types of manure that will. You don't have to compost it before putting in your garden or flowerbeds. 

People pay for this along with guinea pig poop.  A gallon size bag nets up to 5 dollars here. 

We use the commercial, plastic-bottomed box as a litter box and have a good bowl attached to the side. Getting the rabbit fixed really cut down on the pooping and peeing in random places. He still isn't completely litter trained despite the king-sized box, but close enough. We enclosed that box in a plastic panel puppy pen from Amazon like the one below. The wood floor is covered with waterproof puppy pads, and those are covered by an area rug. This is less necessary now that the rabbit has been fixed.

https://www.amazon.com/EXPAWLORER-Pet-Playpen-Puppy-Transparent/dp/B07987PLTZ

I do have to agree that rabbits are not easy pets. I adored our bunny, but she required much more care than our cats and died suddenly (which I'm told is common since they are prey animals and very good at hiding illness or injury). They are really fun, smart, and cute, but they're fragile.

Litter box training does not mean that there are no dry poop pellets anywhere else.  We actually put a puppy pee pad in a corner of our living room for when our rabbits have free exercise time.  They poop and pee on that.  Poop pellets are super easy to pick up and unless the rabbit has a health problem does not stain or create any health hazard.  Rabbit pee on the other hand needs to be in a litter box or pee pad.  We get only unscented pee pads.  Our rabbits attacked the scented ones visciously! 

Our rabbits can jump as high as four feet or more. Besides our high jumpers, we've had rabbits who climb the wire fences using the rungs like a ladder.   We only used ex-pens when introducing them to the other pets in our house.  Otherwise ex-pens are useless for our rabbits.

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

@Jean in Newcastle brought up a good point. The pellets are definitely not the definition of litter trained.  They absolutely will drop or kick a few to mark their territory in their enclosure and your living room.  They’re harmless chewed up hay and very easy to sweep up or vacuum.  Urine, though, is what can generally be trained to a specific area, along with the bulk of their poo. And some buns are more amenable to this than others.  

We haven’t had anyone scale or jump over play area x pens, but like I said I had to make a top for their cage, it definitely happens!

Rabbits (like people!) have varying athletic abilities.   Our lop is our  high jumper.  Our Dutch rabbit is our ladder climber and climbs high up on our cat tree.  Other rabbits we've had have stuck closer to the ground.  😉 

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Poop pellets are super easy to pick up

Yes, but your people are clearly much more mature than my people! 🙄

43 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

They absolutely will drop or kick a few to mark their territory in their enclosure and your living room.  They’re harmless chewed up hay and very easy to sweep up or vacuum.  Urine, though, is what can generally be trained to a specific area, along with the bulk of their poo. And some buns are more amenable to this than others.  

Thanks for this. I was feeling like a bit of a litter-training failure (albeit at an acceptable level), but I guess we are in the range of normal.

• Like 2