Jump to content

Menu

Class of 2020 College Acceptances


Recommended Posts

D'S just found out he was accepted at Purdue (pre communications) and he got a trustee scholarship!!! It was the only place he applied as it's just 30 miles away and before today he still wasn't sure if he would go there or the CC at first, it kind of depended on how finances worked out. I was mostly confident he'd get in, hopeful for a little merit aid thrown his way maybe, but did not even consider the possibility he might get $10,000 per year. We're both still shaking 😊

Hearing about the scholarship made the question of going to CC first moot. He will live at home for the first year I think and then get an apt, probably with older D'S and a couple other friends. So exciting to see things fall into place!

  • Like 39
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh, dd17 was already accepted into college, but it's not going to sound as spectacular as everyone else's. My senior is graduating early - in a couple of weeks -and is starting at the community c

D'S just found out he was accepted at Purdue (pre communications) and he got a trustee scholarship!!! It was the only place he applied as it's just 30 miles away and before today he still wasn't sure

@Evanthe My dd only applied to 1 school not even 10 miles away, was accepted, and is making her plans for fall which include living at home. 🙂 Nothing like her siblings, but perfect for her (and a rel

Posted Images

We have reached the midway point! DD has been accepted into every university she applied to (unsurprising because she didn't apply to any truly academic "reach" schools). The conservatories give no response until post-audition. She's got more essays to write for honors college invites that have trickled in as well as a couple competitive scholarships and programs she has also been invited to apply to. It's all very exciting!

Luckily, DD2 isn't as adverse to writing essays as DD1 was. Not that she's super thrilled about it or anything, but DD1 reached a point where she was D.O.N.E. and refused to write a single word more. Unfortunately for her, she never applied to the honors college at the university she wound up attending. 😕 I believe she'd have had a much more fulfilling experience in her college years if she had only written that additional essay... 

So, DD2 learned a lesson from DD1's experience, I suppose! lol (And, it's easier because she's in a Gap Year, whereas Big Sister was super busy with sport/senior year...)

She's become masterful at twisting an already-written essay into something that will answer a not-quite-the-same-but-similar-enough essay prompt for another school/program. She just has to keep track to make sure she's not borrowing from a previously-written essay for the same school! 🤣

She has actually received... five? six?... very personal responses from academic advisors and/or department deans and/or presidents regarding her application and essays (including one handwritten note attached to a mailed letter invitation). Even from large universities! Some have personally encouraged her to apply for specific scholarships/programs before she's received the generic email invite. So,  it appears that she touched a good nerve with those essays.

She loved the personal responses and that definitely plays to her Big Fish/Little Pond preferences. Hopefully it will equal more scholarship $$$! She's already been awarded a great deal of scholarship money - it's making all that ACT Prep time worth it!!!

Auditions start next month and go through mid-March!

(although, honestly, if she wins one of the competitive, full-ride type, non-musical scholarships at one of the universities she's applied to, I think she'll kick the conservatories to the curb and call it good. She'll really be very happy at any of these schools, I believe. It's all about the $$ at this point & if she can earn it without even needing to bother with a music scholarship, she'll be a happy camper.)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 28
Link to post
Share on other sites

My DD just got accepted to UT Austin (Plan II program) and is shocked but ecstatic, as we live out-of-state. I think UT can only accept 10% of each class from out of state. She’s hoping for a good scholarship and out of state tuition waiver! We are still waiting on two great public u’s, but they’re in state for us.  I think universities are recognizing more and more that homeschooling can be great prep for college work. I love seeing the updates on this thread. Congrats to all the seniors with their acceptances so far — we’ve got until March 1 for regular admissions decisions, right? *To clarify, she got accepted into her first choice STEM major, but is still waiting on the Plan II program. Apparently the honors program acceptances come out sometime in the near future. 🙂

Edited by BookwormTo2
clarification
  • Like 30
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

DD just got accepted to Florida State University! She is very excited. She was offered the University scholarship, which means she can now apply for the Honors program and the Presidential scholarship (their premier scholarship). 

  • Like 26
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 3:58 PM, BookwormTo2 said:

My DD just got accepted to UT Austin (Plan II program) and is shocked but ecstatic, as we live out-of-state. I think UT can only accept 10% of each class from out of state. She’s hoping for a good scholarship and out of state tuition waiver! We are still waiting on two great public u’s, but they’re in state for us.  I think universities are recognizing more and more that homeschooling can be great prep for college work. I love seeing the updates on this thread. Congrats to all the seniors with their acceptances so far — we’ve got until March 1 for regular admissions decisions, right? *To clarify, she got accepted into her first choice STEM major, but is still waiting on the Plan II program. Apparently the honors program acceptances come out sometime in the near future. 🙂

I am just now seeing your post, and then the addition of FSU. Congratulations! Yep, homeschoolers getting in almost everywhere and it is fantastic! May 1 is the national decision date.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Momto6inIN — How exciting that your DS got the trustee scholarship at Purdue! That means the cost of attendance will be very low, especially while he’s living at home. It’s great that he sees the value in saving money the first year by living at home while attending college.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BookwormTo2 said:

@Momto6inIN — How exciting that your DS got the trustee scholarship at Purdue! That means the cost of attendance will be very low, especially while he’s living at home. It’s great that he sees the value in saving money the first year by living at home while attending college.

Yup - it will almost fully cover tuition, books, and fees! Woo hoo! When the news finally started to sink in, he very seriously said to me: "My car budget just went up dramatically." ROFL

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was DD's scholarship/honors interview at Monmouth. I think she came out even more confused about where she wanted to go. She loves the price of Monmouth (especially if she receives an even larger scholarship), loves the physics department, and is ok with their computer science program, but she was very put off by the mock class discussion which was poetry writing. She has dysgraphia, and writing is her nemesis. Yesterday, Monmouth emphasized over and over their whole goal is to make writers/communicators. She wore her hand-knitted sweater so she could talk about more than her academics; that was a hit - 3 different leaders (teachers/administrators) told her about their Wednesday night craft class and one was a crocheter who talked to DD about yarn for a good half hour. 

Still waiting on UW - Madison and Stevens. She is visiting UAH over her spring break, Mar 8. I have to make those traveling plans today. 

Pic of DD's sweater. 

IMG_20200128_072045.jpg

  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

She has dysgraphia, and writing is her nemesis. Yesterday, Monmouth emphasized over and over their whole goal is to make writers/communicators

I havent read your other posts, but the physics/dysgraphia caught my attention. My physics geek is dyslexic and he eliminated any school that would consume too much reading time outside of science. A heavy literature/history reading core would have been a bad fit for him. He wanted to devote his time to physics, math, and research. He knew his goals and physics was what he wanted to focus on.

What are her goals?

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I havent read your other posts, but the physics/dysgraphia caught my attention. My physics geek is dyslexic and he eliminated any school that would consume too much reading time outside of science. A heavy literature/history reading core would have been a bad fit for him. He wanted to devote his time to physics, math, and research. He knew his goals and physics was what he wanted to focus on.

What are her goals?

So far, she is focused on robotics and artificial intelligence. Her ultimate goal is to work with NASA on engineering rovers and satellites. 

She does very well in her humanities classes (last semester she took an intro to philosophy at the community college; this semester is war in literature and art), but they are definitely not her loves. She will be coming in with an AS from dual enrollment, but so far, the colleges haven't told us what credits they are granting.

My guess is she is going to end up at UAH or UW-Madison, but at this point, she is confused about it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Philosophy seems to be an intersecting interest for physics students. My ds loves philosophy and his wife, also a physics grad student, doubled in physics and philosophy.

Reading research journals, participating in research, coding projects, writing research reports, and creating poster presentations are all time consuming. Just encourage her to think through her goals and think about how she will be able to budget her time to accommodate her needs.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, beckyjo said:

She wore her hand-knitted sweater so she could talk about more than her academics; that was a hit - 3 different leaders (teachers/administrators) told her about their Wednesday night craft class and one was a crocheter who talked to DD about yarn for a good half hour. 

Pic of DD's sweater.

 

What a beautiful sweater! She did an amazing job!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, my dd is heading to University of Richmond this fall and we are so relieved and happy about it. 🙂 Richmond has given her fantastic financial aid and we’re also hoping for a scholarship that would eliminate the loan part of the aid, but we’ll see.

She really wanted a small to medium sized liberal arts school with a strong business and a classics department and that’s what she got. She had also been considering nursing at the beginning of this process and applied to a number of schools to keep that option open. In order for schools to be in our range of affordability, they had to either be in-state public schools (we have a 529 prepaid tuition plan for her) or schools that meet full need AND are generous in their calculation of need. She applied to:

College of William & Mary - received a cypher letter (Likely letter)

University of Virginia (Nursing) - accepted with fantastic FA 

Christopher Newport University (Honors College) - accepted with honors scholarship

University of Alabama - Huntsville (Honors College/Direct admit Nursing) - Accepted with full tuition scholarship

University of Notre Dame - Rejected. This was a heartbreak and tough to handle because she had to wait quite awhile before she had other acceptances that she really wanted and it left us doubting whether she was going to get into any of the private schools she had applied to.

College of the Holy Cross - We’ll never know, because we have to withdraw her app, but this was another top contender for her. They have an amazing Classics department and offer a four year full tuition scholarship for a Classics major that she applied for.

James Madison University (Honors College/Nursing) - Will withdraw her application

Franklin & Marshall - Will withdraw application, but this was another school that was very interesting to her due to it’s cool location in Lancaster and it’s strong classics and business offerings.

 

  • Like 26
Link to post
Share on other sites

DD applied to and was accepted at all 7 colleges to which she applied.  She received Presidential or Trustee scholarships at all of those colleges, as well.  We are enormously proud of her.  

  • Like 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 7:28 AM, beckyjo said:

Yesterday was DD's scholarship/honors interview at Monmouth. I think she came out even more confused about where she wanted to go. She loves the price of Monmouth (especially if she receives an even larger scholarship), loves the physics department, and is ok with their computer science program, but she was very put off by the mock class discussion which was poetry writing. She has dysgraphia, and writing is her nemesis. Yesterday, Monmouth emphasized over and over their whole goal is to make writers/communicators. She wore her hand-knitted sweater so she could talk about more than her academics; that was a hit - 3 different leaders (teachers/administrators) told her about their Wednesday night craft class and one was a crocheter who talked to DD about yarn for a good half hour. 

Still waiting on UW - Madison and Stevens. She is visiting UAH over her spring break, Mar 8. I have to make those traveling plans today. 

Pic of DD's sweater. 

IMG_20200128_072045.jpg

I love that sweater! It also looks like it took amazing skill and dedication.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, Heather in WI said:

DS went into this process expecting to apply to 8+ schools, but ended up applying only to 4 - Florida Southern, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USMA, and USNA.

He was accepted to Florida Southern awhile back and found out this week he won a 4 year Army ROTC scholarship to attend!  Still waiting to hear from the other three schools. We'll see. He and my husband loved Florida Southern when they visited, so we're thrilled that he has such a wonderful opportunity. 

 

Quoting myself to add that DS was offered appointment to USMA! No word from Madison or USNA yet. 

  • Like 33
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who gave me advice about my sons college choices,  thank you.  We ended up submitting 20 applications (!!!) because I insisted on safeties.  He just got accepted to Goucher with huge merit aid.  It's not his first choice at all but he is very pleased,  particularly with the merit aid.  As you all said,  it's not just about getting in,  it's about getting in with sufficient aid.  In many ways it is a fit-locarion, beautiful campus,  collegial vibe-but it is probably too liberal for him and at this moment he would like to major in economics,  which is not their strength.  But still... Happy!! 

  • Like 33
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 6:50 PM, Mom0012 said:

Well, my dd is heading to University of Richmond this fall and we are so relieved and happy about it. 🙂 Richmond has given her fantastic financial aid and we’re also hoping for a scholarship that would eliminate the loan part of the aid, but we’ll see.

She really wanted a small to medium sized liberal arts school with a strong business and a classics department and that’s what she got. She had also been considering nursing at the beginning of this process and applied to a number of schools to keep that option open. In order for schools to be in our range of affordability, they had to either be in-state public schools (we have a 529 prepaid tuition plan for her) or schools that meet full need AND are generous in their calculation of need. She applied to:

College of William & Mary - received a cypher letter (Likely letter)

University of Virginia (Nursing) - accepted with fantastic FA 

Christopher Newport University (Honors College) - accepted with honors scholarship

University of Alabama - Huntsville (Honors College/Direct admit Nursing) - Accepted with full tuition scholarship

University of Notre Dame - Rejected. This was a heartbreak and tough to handle because she had to wait quite awhile before she had other acceptances that she really wanted and it left us doubting whether she was going to get into any of the private schools she had applied to.

College of the Holy Cross - We’ll never know, because we have to withdraw her app, but this was another top contender for her. They have an amazing Classics department and offer a four year full tuition scholarship for a Classics major that she applied for.

James Madison University (Honors College/Nursing) - Will withdraw her application

Franklin & Marshall - Will withdraw application, but this was another school that was very interesting to her due to it’s cool location in Lancaster and it’s strong classics and business offerings.

 

congrats!!  F and M is right now a top contender for my son for their business offerings and location... Waiting and hoping!!! 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

congrats!!  F and M is right now a top contender for my son for their business offerings and location... Waiting and hoping!!! 

It’s located in such a fun area. We’ve done mini vacations to Lancaster over the years and noticed the school on our visits, which is what put it on our radar. I hope it works out for your ds!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Halcyon said:

For those of you who gave me advice about my sons college choices,  thank you.  We ended up submitting 20 applications (!!!) because I insisted on safeties.  He just got accepted to Goucher with huge merit aid.  It's not his first choice at all but he is very pleased,  particularly with the merit aid.  As you all said,  it's not just about getting in,  it's about getting in with sufficient aid.  In many ways it is a fit-locarion, beautiful campus,  collegial vibe-but it is probably too liberal for him and at this moment he would like to major in economics,  which is not their strength.  But still... Happy!! 

So very happy to hear your update, Halcyon! And congratulations on the wonderful news! And good luck with the remaining decisions!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

My dd was accepted to University of Florida! She is over the moon -- and still in shock, I think. Not sure if it's true but I read that many more people applied to UF this year, and the acceptance rate went down to 29%! This was the last of the universities she applied to -- I'm very proud of her. She got into all the (6) universities she applied to -- and now for the decision on where to go looms large. Congrats to all the high school seniors and good luck to those still waiting on college decisions!

  • Like 20
Link to post
Share on other sites

My ds has been accepted at all of the schools he applied to that have released admission decisions.   He was admitted to UF yesterday (and was excited that he could try to "crash the server" with all of the tens of thousands of students all trying to log in at the same time to see their decisions).

Right now he is trying to decide between FSU (waiting on Honors College/Presidential Scholarship decision, but admitted to the university with the Freshman Scholarship), Eckerd College (Presidential Scholarship), and USF (Director's Award).   He's strongly leaning toward majoring in Environmental Science with a pre-law track, and possibly getting into Environmental Law.   Embry-Riddle is an outlier at the moment but still in his top 4 schools - they offered him a Presidential Scholarship for their Spaceflight Operations program.

He has also been admitted to Liberty, Colorado State, Miami, and UF.   He has also applied to Harvard and Duke, but they haven't released admission decisions yet, and unless they come out with some really impressive merit aid, the likelihood that he'd go there is very low.

  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, Heather in WI said:

 

Quoting myself to add that DS was offered appointment to USMA! No word from Madison or USNA yet. 

Congratulations - USMA is awesome.   We have a friend who is finishing his plebe year there, and that's a huge honor.

6 hours ago, BookwormTo2 said:

My dd was accepted to University of Florida! She is over the moon -- and still in shock, I think. Not sure if it's true but I read that many more people applied to UF this year, and the acceptance rate went down to 29%! This was the last of the universities she applied to -- I'm very proud of her. She got into all the (6) universities she applied to -- and now for the decision on where to go looms large. Congrats to all the high school seniors and good luck to those still waiting on college decisions!

Congratulations - does your DD know where she wants to go?

On 1/30/2020 at 4:19 PM, BookwormTo2 said:

DD just got accepted to Florida State University! She is very excited. She was offered the University scholarship, which means she can now apply for the Honors program and the Presidential scholarship (their premier scholarship). 

Congratulations - FSU is where my DS is leaning right now.   My DH and all of his family went to FSU, and my in-laws used to live in Tallahassee before they passed away a few years ago, so FSU is a very strong pull for DS's loyalty.   He has also applied to the Honors College.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 9:49 PM, jg_puppy said:

My daughter is a bit older, but she just got an acceptance as a transfer student to UT Dallas. She will continue living at home so she can save money. 

Jan

 

My daughter will be attending UT Dallas as a freshman in the fall.  How wonderful that your daughter can live at home!  We live in Ohio and I can't imagine leaving my daughter in Dallas when the time comes.  

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to everyone on all the wonderful news!

A good friend of mine's daughter is graduating this year from FSU and she has loved. every. single. minute. She's had the most amazing opportunities for research (her "thing") that have paved the way for her to enter grad school with a lot of experience behind her. Seems to be a school with unlimited options for those kids who take advantage of those opportunities.

DD has been accepted to all her schools now, officially, except for one conservatory (her last audition, so it's an outlier on the timeline). Deep breaths are happening now as her last scholarship deadlines are today and then she will have a nice, mini-brain-break. She sure deserves it!!! This has sure been a lot of work and she's super happy to have been in a gap year juggling all of this instead of a senior year!

We honestly had zero idea going in to this that she would be invited to apply for as many scholarships and amazing programs as she was. She cast a wide net and, so far, that appears to have been a very wise decision for her. (and, like DD1 before her, her current Top 2 are polar opposites... lol!)

We'll see if the $$$ holds up in the end...

DD2 is in the middle of proofing her final essays before her deadlines today and DD1 was chuckling over the phone with me because she flat-out refused to write even one more essay sometime in late December/early January of her senior year. So she left honors colleges unapplied to, additional scholarship dollars on the table, etc. She was just DONE. They are the tortoise and the hare - DD2 is one to just keep chugging along, slow and steady - it's been a masterful  performance to watch.

If she can handle college with half as much grace and grit, she will rule the world someday. lol

  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites

@SebastianCat Thank you! How cool that your DS also applied to FSU and their Honors College! We did the FSU tour last year and their campus is really pretty. My DD also received the FSU Freshman Scholarship, was excited to be auto admitted to Honors at USF and received the Presidential Award scholarship. A tough decision lies ahead! 🙂

@easypeasy Congrats to your DD on her successes!

@Kassia Texas is a great state and I've heard great things about UT Dallas. Congrats to your DD!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

DS was accepted to Knox College with huge merit aid--basically covering the cost. Very unexpected!!!

 It's not his first choice but their new Global Business major is right up his alley. And the aid really makes it appealing. Very pleased. 

He told me today that 'something" changed on his Dickinson portal--i am no longer the 'adviser' but rather someone at the college is now assigned to him...so maybe that's good sign?

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 25
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Halcyon Wow, that is awesome news about Knox College! To have nearly the entire cost of college paid for is no small feat in this day and age. Regarding college portals, it does seem like good news that your DS can see an advisor at Dickinson has been assigned to him. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter heard from the last two schools this week - she was waitlisted at Whitman (not a big deal, it wasn't high on her list) and she was accepted at St. Olaf and awarded the Dean's scholarship, which was a nice surprise. St. Olaf was at the top of her list, but she has recently narrowed down her desired major to one they don't have, so I am not sure it is at the top of her list any more.

She is still waiting on the financial aid package from Texas State and one major scholarship (Terry Foundation) before she makes her decision. If she doesn't get the (highly competitive) Terry Foundation scholarship (which would mean a full-ride at either Texas State or University of Houston), she may end up at the local CC and transferring to a nearby branch of A&M and living at home during college. All of her financial aid packages so far have been short 9-13k, and unless I can get a full-time job ASAP, we won't have that (and I have been applying for jobs). Our EFC is way, way below those numbers. My daughter applied for every major scholarship she could find, and every small scholarship (which so far haven't stacked, of course, just reduced the institutional aid), but so far has struck out with the major scholarships. And as far as I can see, that is the only way to get room & board covered at college. My daughter's ACT score was only a little above average (mid 20's), so she doesn't qualify for the full-ride merit scholarships at any schools. And she is not willing to take out loans knowing she will have to pay them off on a teacher's salary. So despite her dreams of moving out and attending a college with a choir that tours internationally, she may end up staying at home in the middle-of-nowhere Texas to attend a school that doesn't even have a choir program, much less one that tours. Sigh.

  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Clear Creek There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting an AA from the community college and transferring to a branch of Texas A&M. Many kids have to go the community college route, and those who go on to a 4-year and graduate with their B.A. or B.S. hang their diplomas on the wall with pride. My DD's close friend is finishing up her AA at a community college and just got accepted to UF -- when her friend graduates from UF her diploma for her B.A. will say UF. College is so expensive now -- far more expensive than when I graduated many years ago. And those very competitive full-rides are very hard to get. Sometimes dreams have to change a little; that's life. I bet your DD finds a new organization / club at whatever university she ends up attending if she can't do choir.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe she could start up her own little choral group as a student society, Clear Creek? My choir-loving kid wound up at a university with no music program and started a glee club with some other students who wanted to sing--he made a lot of friends that way in the first month of school. I know it wouldn't be the same as that awesome St Olaf choir, but some kind of singing club might still be fun for her.

I hope it all works out in whatever way would be best for her. Good luck with the scholarship!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard that my son received an Ursinus College acceptance with $35,000 Gateway Merit scholarship. FAFSA funding will be out shortly! 

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 24
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 11:54 AM, Kassia said:

 We live in Ohio and I can't imagine leaving my daughter in Dallas when the time comes.  

Yes, I know the feeling. We left ds in Boston and flew home to NZ. It was very hard.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Grad school acceptance for my oldest former homeschooler :-) University of New Mexico Speech-Langage Pathology MS program. She is a University of Washington grad with a degree in an unrelated field. Originally thought she would work in the non-profit sector, but became disillusioned and changed directions. This is great news for her!

  • Like 25
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2020 at 12:51 PM, Clear Creek said:

<snip> So despite her dreams of moving out and attending a college with a choir that tours internationally,<snp>

 

Bolded.... Please give my message to your DD. The idea of touring internationally (and to a lessor extent domestically) went out the window during December 2019, when the COVID-19 Virus began appearing in the wild.

It may be several years, before universities are able to restore their Study Abroad programs and Choirs that tour Internationally.

Much good luck to your DD!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My current senior has been accepted to the following:

Asbury University w/ several scholarships including Governor's Scholars
Boyce College
Cedarville University w/ President's Excellence Scholarship
Liberty University
University of Kentucky w/ Presidential Scholarship

  • Like 26
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have officially been accepted in the PhD program at my school. I also have been awarded a graduate teaching assistantship (will be 3rd year), which comes with a stipend and tuition remission. Now, I'm just waiting for official financial information before I make the final decision as the stipend is decent but not quite enough to live on without other aid. I would have co-disciplines of history and humanities (mostly digital humanities and medieval studies courses probably). 

  • Like 33
Link to post
Share on other sites

Updating on Ponygirl ... A "yes" from Macalester (hoping to see more financial aid in 11 days, thus far just one of their top academic scholarships...but not close to being enough). "No" from Swarthmore (but, she also didn't do her part in communicating with the swim coach there -- and it was a swim school).  She really, really wants USCGA, but feeling like that's less and less likely with each passing day (most of her friends from last summer have all been notified, and either accepted there or USNA). She does have one full-ride offer, but it doesn't include swim, so she's on the fence there. For all intents and purposes, her senior swim year is over. 

 

  • Like 18
Link to post
Share on other sites

Final acceptances in last week. So thankful to all who helped from this forum. My senior is accepted at

University of Alabama Tuscaloosa

Purdue University

University of Georgia  

Stanford University

Georgia Tech

MIT 

 

 

 

  • Like 28
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, Lilaclady said:

Final acceptances in last week. So thankful to all who helped from this forum. My senior is accepted at

University of Alabama Tuscaloosa

Purdue University

University of Georgia  

Stanford University

Georgia Tech

MIT 

 

 

 

 

Congrats!  Your senior must have received a likely letter from Stanford!  

Any idea what the final decision will be?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So...my son was accepted to Bard with a very generous scholarship, waitlisted at Oberlin (he's actually pretty excited he got waitlisted as it was a reach, and he's writing them a letter), waitlisted at Connecticut College. So far his top choice is Bard, but i want him to consider Allegheny where he got a full merit scholarship and Knox. But since we now can't visit these schools, it will make the decision more challenging (he had already visited Bard and loved the campus; not sure with his probable major if it is exactly a fit. Will need to dig further--he wants to study Global Studies and/or Finance and Economics. They do have a 5 year Finance/Econ major where you get a bs and a ba, so that might be interesting. And it's near NYC, which he wants. )

 

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. My business was shut down by Executive Order, so a little worried here.

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 22
Link to post
Share on other sites

so ds is disappointed that he got waitlistrd or rejected at all his match schools except Bard.  He got rejected from Bucknell yesterday. I told him that bard is a wonderful school and he. Got good aid,  but he is still very sad.  How do I help him?  It's a difficult moment now,  isolating,  can't go seen his friends,  can't go to the gym.  

 

I told him that he might have a chance at his five waitlisted schools,  but they probably won't get back to him for a while given all the covid upheaval.  He will likely send a deposit to bard and then lose that deposited if he gets off the waitlist at Oberlin,  Lafayette or trinity.  

 

he's a good kid,  but I suspected this might happen,  as he didn't start really "trying" for a top school until he was a junior (emotional issues,  some immaturity), and didn't take any ap exams but one.  

 

I'm trying to just let him be right now,  watching funny movies,  trying to getbhim to sign up for ALL the virtual accepted student sessions for schools he was accepted to (Knox,  Allegheny,  ursinus, bard) but he refuses. 

 

ugh

Edited by Halcyon
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Extrapolating from my local Big State U, I think a lot of universities may be concerned that attendance won't be as high as they planned, due to fallout from COVID. I imagine that will result in a lot more offers to the wait-lists. Just speculating, though.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...