Menu

Moving is a pain

Scarlett

I spent the entire day yesterday dealing with contracts and earnest money checks and Abstract office and lenders.  

Today I got up and started working on getting the utilities turned on.  The city utilities (electric and water) wouldn’t let me.  So thankfully the seller called and got it turned back on in her name.  Gas company was easy to work with and I got that put in my name over the phone.  

Last night Dh called an arranged for a young friend and our 18 year old to scrape popcorn hopefully tomorrow.  Dh also called and talked to his good friend who is a contractor and he will be meeting us there on Sunday to discuss retexturing the ceiling and painting entire house interior.  That will just leave the carpet in three bedrooms to get replaced and a good cleaning and then we can move in.  

I just sent 2 Men and a truck a request for an estimate.  

And now I need to get up and go sit at my computer and send more documents to our lender.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

agreed! We bought a house in Feb and i'm hoping it will be the last time I ever have to move.  Of course that is impossible to know right now, but I do know it is the house we'll be in for a long long time.  It is a big house and will be too big for us once the kids are grown and gone but it is set up that it can be turned into two rental units plus a large enough area for us.  So, that is the plan for the future.

oh, man. Yes, moving is a huge pain. I really hope we don't have to do it again, ever.....(ha). 

One move I was pregnant, and there was some issue where the water couldn't get turned on until later, so we stayed in a motel for a weekend. Then the electric hand't been turned on as promised, so we had to wait a day. In Texas October, which is still summer (mostly). It was nuts. 

Then this last house purchase, they kept needing more and more and more documents......oof. I thought the paper chase would never end on that one. 

May you get a reasonable quote, be able to relax, and be able to destress. 

You guys will not even believe what happened today.  We needed the utilities turned back on.....so I got that accomplished thanks to a very helpful and agreeable seller.They said electric and water would be turned on this afternoon.  So I decided to go over late in the day, around 4 to make sure that happened, since we have workers coming tomorrow.  I opened the front door and heard a rush of water sound.....I was flipped out of my mind.....I run in and find the washer water value gushing water.  I leap in to turn it off and get soaked.  The laundry room and kitchen eating area is full of water...3 inches deep at least.  I frantically call dh.....and quickly drive to my parents for brooms and towels....when I get back....I find the water mostly receded...most of the water had gone out the garage and down the driveway.  Dh comes quickly....he removes the base moldings to check to see how bad the Sheetrock is damaged.  Wet, but ok to dry out.

Clearly, Obviously, no other explanation...the company who came to change locks and winterize the property did this.  They must have inexplicably thought the valve was open and actually turned it on instead of turning it off?

I can' t even believe it.  What a nightmare.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, TheReader said:

oh, man. Yes, moving is a huge pain. I really hope we don't have to do it again, ever.....(ha). 

One move I was pregnant, and there was some issue where the water couldn't get turned on until later, so we stayed in a motel for a weekend. Then the electric hand't been turned on as promised, so we had to wait a day. In Texas October, which is still summer (mostly). It was nuts. 

Then this last house purchase, they kept needing more and more and more documents......oof. I thought the paper chase would never end on that one. 

May you get a reasonable quote, be able to relax, and be able to destress. 

I really don’t remember in previous house purchases having to provide so much documentation.  Last night Dh and I stayed up until after midnight esigning.....and that is after I spent all day Monday and part of yesterday uploading documents...some of which I had to scan first..for instance last night Dh and I had to go through the last 20 years of places we live and say if we still owned the house, or if we never lived there why it showed up on our credit report. .  One was an apartment!

Anyone want to talk paint colors?  Because we are in a huge time crunch ugh I would just paint the entire house Hot Cafe Au Lait which is what I have here and it is fine.  But the dining room in new house has one wall painted red....which I don’t want but I go to thinking maybe I should do an accent wall...but what color? 

Also the bedroom dss will be in is a color he likes and the trim in that room is also in good shape so we won’t be painting his room or the hall bathroom...but maybe I want a different color for master?  I just bought a new white duvet and haven’t bought any accent colors at all....so I could be open to anything for the master...

i know grey is all the rage but the tile in this house is very much not grey and nothing I own would really go with grey...so I probably need to stick with brown tones.....

42 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Anyone want to talk paint colors?  Because we are in a huge time crunch ugh I would just paint the entire house Hot Cafe Au Lait which is what I have here and it is fine.  But the dining room in new house has one wall painted red....which I don’t want but I go to thinking maybe I should do an accent wall...but what color? 

Also the bedroom dss will be in is a color he likes and the trim in that room is also in good shape so we won’t be painting his room or the hall bathroom...but maybe I want a different color for master?  I just bought a new white duvet and haven’t bought any accent colors at all....so I could be open to anything for the master...

i know grey is all the rage but the tile in this house is very much not grey and nothing I own would really go with grey...so I probably need to stick with brown tones.....

oooh, paint colors! 

I always love blues personally. We have a super pale blue in the living room/main areas downstairs, and a kind of sea foam green in the dining room, with a dark green accent wall (like a teal-oceany green). 

Browns/tans/creams are good and you can do all kinds of accent colors that way. What colors do you wear a lot? For the dining room, what color are your dishes? And pick an accent color that works with any/all holiday decorating you might do in there (like, mine is pretty beachy, but my Christmas decor in there is also semi-beachy, so it works; if I went super traditional in there it wouldn't work). 

Choosing paint colors is the one fun part of moving for me.....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheReader said:

oooh, paint colors! 

I always love blues personally. We have a super pale blue in the living room/main areas downstairs, and a kind of sea foam green in the dining room, with a dark green accent wall (like a teal-oceany green). 

Browns/tans/creams are good and you can do all kinds of accent colors that way. What colors do you wear a lot? For the dining room, what color are your dishes? And pick an accent color that works with any/all holiday decorating you might do in there (like, mine is pretty beachy, but my Christmas decor in there is also semi-beachy, so it works; if I went super traditional in there it wouldn't work). 

Choosing paint colors is the one fun part of moving for me.....

I seem to wear a lot of black.  Lol..

i do like a Sage  green color.....I thunk I could accent our bedroom nicely with that color.  

• Like 1

I'm kinda tired of the everything gray trend. I mean, some of it is really pretty, but it still feels cold to me. And it's too popular. Last year, we bought a house and kids wanted accent walls. I'm not too crazy about them, myself, but we let them choose the colors they wanted. I really really really like the paint we chose for our bedroom. I can't remember right now the shade (I'm not at home); it's Sherwin Williams, and I'm not seeing it in the search I just called up. But it is the lightest in the sage line--almost white--but if you put white next to it you can see the difference. Our furniture is dark and bedspread is a quilt with shades of sage. It has the most peaceful atmosphere, like walking in a forest. If I moved right now, I would be tempted to paint the whole house that shade! (I probably wouldn't, because I like a slight variety, but still...)

• Like 3

dss18 is scaping popcorn.  The little I saw when I dropped off lunch for him seems to be coming off very easily.  I want to get in there and clean the kitchen cabinets inside and out, but I decided to come home and do dss's laundry instead.  

Things are so crazy. Last night dh and I were over at the new house dealing with the water (which seems to be fine) dh had one of his rapid heart beats.  Was over 230 for several minutes and this time he felt pain in his chest.   Dh went for his preop this morning for surgery next week.  Met with the anesthesiologist and she asked him about his heart rate and he told he yes he has periodic episodes and related last night's events.  He showed her the data on his phone.  She was VERY upset and said she would be talking to her boss as to what to do.  It is just one thing after another.His EKG was fine though.  Perfectly normal. 

Dss got the living room and two smaller bedrooms scraped.  And cleaned up.  Including pulling up the pad in both bedrooms ( Dh had taken the carpet out last night) and he took down the top half of the wall paper in one bedroom...that is all the wall paper there is except for a border in the laundry area.  

And tonight Dh took down that low cabinet over the bar in the kitchen. Oh my what a difference that made! I cleaned out all the drawers in the kitchen. Tomorrow after work I will take my step stool over and clean out the top cabinets.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

My kitchen-living room-hallway are SW Accessible Beige. It's a greige, so it swings a little both ways (but def more beige than gray). It seems to go well with a variety of colors in my house. 

We just did used this color in the whole upstairs of my dad's house before we sold it.  I would use this color in my house -- love it!!!  And it was nice in all different lights and times of day.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plumber is there this morning to fix leaky washing machine supply thingy....and to turn on hot water heater and to run a gas line for our dryer.

Having trouble finding someone who will pull the rest of the popcorn down.  Dss has to work today.  Probably won't have a day off  until Monday.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 9:04 AM, alisoncooks said:

My kitchen-living room-hallway are SW Accessible Beige. It's a greige, so it swings a little both ways (but def more beige than gray). It seems to go well with a variety of colors in my house. 

I am looking at this color and I do think it would work for me.  However, I am wondering if there is any pink in it?  I don't want any hint of pink....I keep going back and forth from what I am seeing on the on line samples.

56 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am looking at this color and I do think it would work for me.  However, I am wondering if there is any pink in it?  I don't want any hint of pink....I keep going back and forth from what I am seeing on the on line samples.

I don't think so because I'd hate it if it were a taupe that leaned pink/lavender. I have it in several lights (south/west facing, east facing, no-light hallway) -- all look good.  In my kitchen (and only there) it can -- at some points of the day -- lean more gray. But (for my house) it's only in that room. 

• Thanks 1

What do y’all think about SW 7602 Indigo Batik as an accent wall with Accessible beige over all?  Accent wall would be in the dining room that opens to family room....and I am hoping to get a neutral sectional and I could use pillows to coordinate with the Indigo.  I haven’t ever used blue,  it I need so much new stuff and Dh loves blue.  Also a friend of mine just decluttered and she has a Lot of decorative stuff in black which I love and I think would go well with the Indigo and beige.  

17 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t think there is any pink in it.  I sent you a PM.  I have Benjamin Moore Clay Beige at my house.  My family room and kitchen, entry way, and all hallways and stairways.  No pink in that either.

49 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

That Indigo Batik would go very nicely with the Accessible Beige or my Clay Beige.

The light isn’t the best, but this is my Clay Beige with a Denim accent wall.  I did this in the boys’ playroom.  

41A705CC-BDC4-4AE8-88B7-48F0EDD967E9.jpeg

Yes this looks very nice and is what I have in mind.  Thank you!

If you like blues, I highly recommend you take a look at SW Monorail Silver as a neutral. It's a grey with a blue undertone. Very versatile. I have it in my living/dining/foyer/kitchen and I adore it. We've had it for 5 years, and I'd repaint with the same color if I needed to repaint. FWIW, I have tons of wood (natural oak floors, medium cherry cabinetry and antique furniture as well as leather couches in all shades of brown) everywhere in all shades of brown, and the browns/beiges of wood look lovely with the cooler grey. 

Image search for SW Monorail Silver: https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=sherwin+williams+monorail+silver&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=safari&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv2cHA0N3lAhXsRt8KHWSQA3kQsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1440&bih=837 

• Thanks 1