Menu

What's with the ads?

mirabillis

College App Portal - Showing Incomplete Items?

So my ds has 4 applications in on Nov 1.... working bit by bit. He's got their 'portals' set up and his top choice ED school is showing a bunch of items they don't have... like a homeschooled transcript, first quarter report, etc.... They have my school report/counselor letter - and I sent in the transcript + course descriptions. I'll have him contact the school tomorrow - but anyone have any thoughts? Esp on the transcript request (since that is up to me)??

Thanks!

Are you using the Common App?  If I recall correctly, doesn't it show like a green check mark after each section is complete?  Otherwise, just wait for your student to learn what's up from the schools.  

I found that it took a bit to get everything checked off if a human had to do some of it manually. Never hurts to call, of course.

• Like 1

I'm sure it varies by school, but we found that calling was much less effective than emailing.  Emailing was prompt and got things done.  Calls were answered by people who knew nothing and whose information was not accurate.

My oldest had a couple schools that kept showing they were missing stuff. In one case he had taken the ACT at our previous address as a junior and then at our current address as a senior. One school he had sent the scores to had two open files for him- one for each address. So two open but incomplete files he needed to have merged. That took a long phone call to rectify and probably would never have resolved itself. 

The other was at Berry College. Just took a lot of phone calls to convince them they had everything. We could see on the common app that it was done and they should have it and all the other schools that he applied to common app had it. The funny thing about that was when we went to the scholarship competition there they president of the college was bragging about their work program and how all the offices are student run and how the college could operate for days with just the student workers without missing a beat. So that kind of made sense that there were more issues getting his application settled if he was working with students on it. (Not picking on students or the Berry work program. I found it interesting. Just funny to picture why they might have had a few more struggles with his application).

Some schools are very quick and efficient about getting things checked off and others take forever. My dd emailed a school that still showed many items missing a month and a half after the app had been submitted. They told her those things wouldn’t be checked off until the app was reviewed and that they hadn’t even started reading apps.

• Like 1