Menu

Daylight Savings...this is me

unsinkable

I am also not a fan. Plus, I have to drag out a ladder to adjust the kitchen clock or else I constantly freak myself out, thinking I’m way late for everything. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Quill said:

I am also not a fan. Plus, I have to drag out a ladder to adjust the kitchen clock or else I constantly freak myself out, thinking I’m way late for everything. 

Ugh, yes. I have to change all the clocks before we go to bed the night before, or I feel totally off all day ( well, even more so).

As it is now, the light is so thin by 3:30 it feels like the end of the day.

My state is trying to go to Atlantic time, which makes way more sense being on the far edge of the eastern time zone as we are, but I think the thought is that the rest of New England has to convert as well. I don’t see it ever happening. I swear this country as a whole is allergic to change, even when the results are obviously positive.

• Like 3

I would be fine if it stayed on DST, but I actually don't mind when we gain an hour in the fall.

This, for me, means that the craziness of baseball season has ended, I can hibernate at home more, and finally get to all the things I let go of during spring ball, summer swim, and fall ball :-).  The introvert in me likes a break from all the people too!

I didn't get to hibernate last year as I was busy moving my dad and taking him to a bunch of appointments.  I didn't realize how much I needed that time until I didn't have it.

I do feel off kilter though with sleep (I already wake up too early every day) and eating schedule.

The usefulness of the time change depends greatly on where you live.  On January 3, in Louisville, KY sunrise is 8am and sunset is 5:35.  Would a 9am sunrise be better?  I doubt anyone would agree.  

If you lived in Boston, on January 3 your sunrise will come at 7:13am while sunset will be at 4:24pm.  Would a 3:24pm sunset be preferable?

In both of these locations remaining on DST would be awful. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hellen said:

If you lived in Boston, on January 3 your sunrise will come at 7:13am while sunset will be at 4:24pm.  Would a 3:24pm sunset be preferable?

In Boston, if we stayed at DST hours, sunrise would be at 8:14am and sunset at 5:34pm. This would be much better! We were outside this afternoon, and the light dimmed and the temperature dropped starting around 4pm. It is just too early!

I'm all for picking one and never changing again, but I would prefer DST hours to Standard Time.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

In Boston, if we stayed at DST hours, sunrise would be at 8:14am and sunset at 5:34pm. This would be much better! We were outside this afternoon, and the light dimmed and the temperature dropped starting around 4pm. It is just too early!

I'm all for picking one and never changing again, but I would prefer DST hours to Standard Time.

Thanks for correcting my math.  I used to live in Louisville which is on the western edge of Eastern time zone.  Those late sunrises were tough.  Where I'm living now, we had a 7:40am sunrise on Saturday morning.  It's nice waking up to the first light of day again.  I was talking to someone tonight who used to live in a place with a 9am sunrise.  He said he had trouble sleeping in the summer because it was so bright.

• Like 1

Oregon has voted to stay on DST all year, but only if the rest of the west coast does the same. I think CA voted for something similar but is still "studying" it to see if DST or standard time is better. Our paper had an article on it this weekend. Then it said that any change has to be approved by congress!

Dd usually has a bad seizure week when the time changes because we're messing with her sleep. She just had a seizure an hour ago. I would so love to just stick with DST year-round.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Oregon has voted to stay on DST all year, but only if the rest of the west coast does the same. I think CA voted for something similar but is still "studying" it to see if DST or standard time is better. Our paper had an article on it this weekend. Then it said that any change has to be approved by congress!

Dd usually has a bad seizure week when the time changes because we're messing with her sleep. She just had a seizure an hour ago. I would so love to just stick with DST year-round.

I believe Washington has also approved it. So we are just waiting on CA now and then to the feds. Since two other states have federal permission, I would hope that means easy federal approval. I love, love, love DST and hope we can soon have it year round.

• Like 1

If we stayed on one time or the other (which I'm personally all for) then at some times of the year all of us would have some fairly unreasonable sunrise/sunset times. I don't think it would bother me nearly as much as the twice yearly time changes do. But that's just a guess, of course, since I've never actually experienced it.

Here's one analysis that includes a cool interactive map.

Also, we recently did a cross country trip (NC to CA and back) and it really made me realize how huge the difference in sunrise/sunset times are depending on where one is within a given time zone. That trip was a lesson in the east/west difference, but in the past I've also noticed the difference in how far north/south in a time zone one is.

Despite being an early-to-bed-early-to-rise person who would prefer it to get dark earlier (I HATE it when the sun doesn't set until almost 9:00), my main concern would be safety. In the couple of weeks before the time change the school bus was coming through our neighborhood while it was still pitch dark. It seems to me avoiding things like that (in either the morning or afternoon) for as many days as possible would be desirable.

• Like 2

I say split the difference at the half hour and be done forever, lol. 

As for my reaction to it, I was outside the day after the change at about 6pm and was freaked out by how dark it was. And had forgotten about the time change, so was half wondering if there was some kind of mini eclipse I didn't know about happening or something! Took me several minutes to figure out that no, the sun wasn't blocked by some freaky thing, a storm wasn't coming, it was just sunset, lol. 

10 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I hope it happens because if it does, then the rest of the country will likely follow.   

It was depressing to be outside playing at the playground with my grandkids last night and have it suddenly be DARK at 5:30.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sassenach said:

I'd prefer to stay on standard time. If we stayed on DST, sunrise in January wouldn't be until after 8am here. 

This--and in my state our misguided legislature has voted to extend DST all year.  I mean, they supposedly live here.  They must know about this problem.

12 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Then it said that any change has to be approved by congress!

I thought it was the Department of Transportation that decided what time zone you were allowed to be in, originally from the days of the railroad. I also got the impression that they didn't really care as long as they received a request from the local authorities the change would be approved county-by-county.

I would prefer no change myself, and I don't care which we go with, I'll just learn to deal with it.