Menu

What's with the ads?

ScoutTN

Green beans!

We are getting lots and lots from our CSA farmer and I need some new ways to cook/serve them. These are basic string beans, medium to large.

Default is steamed, with butter and salt on them. Sometimes with toasted, sliced almonds mixed in.

I occasionally make gb casserole from scratch, but it's not a family favorite.

Dh likes them cold or warm with vinegarette on them.

I put them in soup and stir fry

Any suggestions?

I like to roast them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I roast until they are starting to shrivel a bit - kind of ugly but good!

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

I like to roast them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I roast until they are starting to shrivel a bit - kind of ugly but good!

Ditto

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

This is our favorite way!  I usually add an onion to the pan.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Kate said:

Same! 

• Like 1

Cooked with small red potatoes. Put potatoes, green beans, some water, butter, S&P. Boil til soft with lid on and liquid cooks off mostly. 

We do them roasted the way described above or steamed and tossed with a bit of butter pretty routinely.

However, we also do them in stir fry a ton. And sometimes in veggie soup. I like them in a green bean heavy stir fry with chicken or shrimp over rice.

Google chicken and string bean stir-fry. This is one of my favorite meals at chinese restaurants. I make many versions based on what I have on hand.

Sometimes I steam them. Saute some choped up steak with onions and garlic. Toss with sesoning salt for a nice bold flavor. Add some fresh parmesan cheese at the end. 

22 hours ago, unsinkable said:

Green beans have always been something I think I love but am always a little disappointed in...  They're always a little too chewy!  BUT, the couple of times I've had them cold and crunchy, I really do love them.  I'll have to try this recipe!