Menu

What's with the ads?

Plum

UPDATE in #1: Would you paint this garage door dark brown?

If you had a house that has this color scheme? The new garage door would match the shudders and front door. I’d like dark brown wood textured garage door but it gets full sun in the hot hot summer. It would be insulated though not top of the line insulated. I’m getting tinted garage door windows instead of clear like I had before. If I had to choose, should I go better insulation and drop the windows? 

The contractor that is fixing our garage after ds ran into it is starting work today and I have an opportunity to upgrade a little  bit. I’m having second thoughts on a dark brown garage door. It takes up so much space on the front of the house. 

Update: The garage door rep had already ordered the dark brown garage door so I went ahead and kept it. I figured if I have to paint it anyway, I might as well see what it look like. And I love it!!! 😍 it matches our front door and the makes the shudders pop more. Now to work on the rest of the yard. 
Here’s the before and after. I really do hope the HOA doesn’t give me a hard time. The color is in my color scheme just not the designated garage color. 

90AAE612-CA9F-4E29-BA13-113AAEA9FE53.jpeg

DA5A4EE3-94AA-478C-813C-FC1F66FFFC1A.jpeg

Edited by Plum
Update
  • Like 4

No! 1. It will really date your home, 2. Everything in your garage will roast because the dark color will act as a heat sink and 3. The garage door currently ties the house to the pillars

• Like 2

I would keep it the lighter shade.  It is such a large, prominent area, that having a dark color would cause it to stand out more and take the attention away from the main part of the house.  Plus, I think it would change the flow of the overall look.  It's really a lovely house!

• Like 1

Yes, stay light. I lived with very dark garage doors for a while after moving in to our current house. It draws your eye like a black hole. Draw eyes to the front door instead! 

• Like 1

Ok I’ll just stick with what I have. Dh has no opinion either way but I’m sure that would change once it was up. 
This is another house in the neighborhood that has my color scheme and went darker though not as dark as I was thinking. 

Edited by Plum
Removed for privacy

I'd get better insulation. We applied a radiant barrier (came in a roll) to our garage door. We did it ourselves to save money - it wasn't hard. It helped a lot with the heat in the garage. 

Is there no HOA where you live to control your choices? Lucky you! You must not be in Texas!

You can find cling-plastic tinting for the windows that you could do yourself. If that would let you upgrade the door insulation, I would do it. Check the price before you decide, though. I did a bathroom recently and was surprised at how much they charged for a roll.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I'd get better insulation. We applied a radiant barrier (came in a roll) to our garage door. We did it ourselves to save money - it wasn't hard. It helped a lot with the heat in the garage. 

Is there no HOA where you live to control your choices? Lucky you! You must not be in Texas!

A number of years ago I looked into insulating the garage door only to discover it was already insulated. It looked built in so I think it was the kind that comes with the door. Radiant barrier would probably  be better. All my garage rep through the insurance said was that our new garage door would be insulated even around the windows which our current garage door doesn’t have but I have no idea what the quality will be. 
I have HOA but they are much more lenient than some of the others around here. 

9 minutes ago, SusanC said:

You can find cling-plastic tinting for the windows that you could do yourself. If that would let you upgrade the door insulation, I would do it. Check the price before you decide, though. I did a bathroom recently and was surprised at how much they charged for a roll.

I had the stained glass look in my current garage door windows. It helped filter the light quite a bit. I don’t think they sell my pattern anymore.  ☹️

if your garage is a heat sink - I would stay with a lighter color to reflect light.  

do you have another light source in your garage?  mine are west facing, insulated, with windows.  dh is glad I insisted on windows  we have a single row of glass block over an exterior door at the back of the garage that only gives a tiny bit of light.  if that is the only window - I would keep the windows.

there are static cling window films for adding privacy to clear glass.  they come in a lot of different patterns.  not sure how they'd do with heat/cold cycles.

If your garage door doesn’t get direct sun, you could go with the darker color. I like the lighter garage door. 

1 hour ago, Plum said:

I had the stained glass look in my current garage door windows. It helped filter the light quite a bit. I don’t think they sell my pattern anymore.  ☹️

Bummer. The window films I looked at struck me as probably all from the same factory of origin but sold under different labels. It looks like Etsy had some stained glass options, I hadn't realized that was a thing!

Good luck with the HOA! We had some neighbors stain their wooden fence that was turning grey back to close to the original brown. The HOA sent them a nasty letter instructing them to 'remove that stain' ????? They ended up powerwashing the fence as a compromise because you cannot remove stain. May your HOA be less militant. 

I'm pretty lucky with my HOA. They aren't nearly as strict as some of the others. I have one person in my neighborhood that painted their whole house something outside of the subdivision color scheme but within the master association color scheme. 

26 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I think it looks way better with the dark brown!

I can't believe it cost the same as a plain white one. My son should have run into the garage with his car a long time ago. 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WendyLady said:

It looks striking! 

I keep saying my house looks all grown up. Lol. 

• Like 2

I agree that it looks great!  On the front of the house the windows seem important.  My garage is in the rear so I didn’t get windows, but no one really sees it anyway.  I was surprised how nice new garage doors made me feel about my house.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Plum said:

I keep saying my house looks all grown up. Lol. 

Yes! Exactly!  It does look really nice.

• Thanks 1

I missed this thread before. The new door looks gorgeous.  I gel stained a garage door that dark brown once and I loved it.

• Like 2

That dark brown is just beautiful! Looks like the house was built that way IMHO. Or if not, it should have been 🙂

Amy

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

When I read your first paragraph, without looking at the pictures, my first thought was "no, never brown". But, once I saw the shutters and the door together, I totally changed my mind.  It looks beautiful, and really anchors the house.  Enjoy!  

• Like 1