Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Robin M

Book a Week 2019 - BW45: Whodunit Bookology - Phryne Fisher

Recommended Posts

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-five in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews.

Our whodunit bookology detective for November is Phryne Fisher, who solves mysteries set in 1920's Melbourne and was created by Kerry Greenwood who also resides in Australia. 

There are a number of ways to complete the bookology challenge, including but not limited to the suggestions below:

Read the first book in the series.
Read one book per letter in the character's first or last name.
Read one book per letter in the author's first or last name.
If you're really ambitious, one book per letter in the character's first and last name.
Follow in a character's footsteps and read a book set in the country or time period of the character.

Learn more about 
Kerry Greenwoodher bookshow Phryne came to life , and her thoughts on crime fiction with The Garrett Podcast.

What are you reading?

 

Link to week 44

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Fisher's Cocaine Blues waiting in the wings to read.  Currently reading Faith Hunter's Shattered Bonds plus ebook The Black God's Drums by P. Djeli Clark.

"In an alternate New Orleans caught in the tangle of the American Civil War, the wall-scaling girl named Creeper yearns to escape the streets for the air--in particular, by earning a spot on-board the airship Midnight Robber. Creeper plans to earn Captain Ann-Marie’s trust with information she discovers about a Haitian scientist and a mysterious weapon he calls The Black God’s Drums.

But Creeper also has a secret herself: Oya, the African orisha of the wind and storms, speaks inside her head, and may have her own ulterior motivations.

Soon, Creeper, Oya, and the crew of the Midnight Robber are pulled into a perilous mission aimed to stop the Black God’s Drums from being unleashed and wiping out the entirety of New Orleans."

 

Last night we introduced James to The Coneheads.  He wasn't too terribly impressed. Had many cringe worthy moments in his opinion.  However, he loved Prometheus which is the prequel to the Aliens. Great movie which we watched on Halloween, which made you cringe from the scary, gory, moments.  

 

Edited by Robin M
underlines and spelling.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick check in.  Things don't calm down with my current schedule until Thanksgiving so it's chaos until then.  With all the chauffeuring I'm on the third audibook in the All Souls Trilogy (at over 24 hours each they're perfect for driving). I'm also listening to Shattered Bonds by Faith Hunter, which I read as an ARC. 😍 My review is below.

We pick up soon after Dark Queen and find the Yellowrock Clan has retreated to the Appalachian Mountains trying to find a cure for Jane's magically induced cancer. Jane is forced to spend most of her time in beast form and we watch as her family struggles to keep her engaged and fighting. We spend more time inside Jane/Beast's head in this book but don't let that fool you, there is plenty of action. The Son of Darkness doesn't care what is happening to Jane, and he is waging war on The Dark Queen and all those she holds dear. There is a lot of growth packed into these pages, you won't be disappointed!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Phryne Fisher. Also watched the series which I thought was well done.

Reading:

Still happily entangled in "The Ape Who Guards the Balance" by Peters. Hadn't read this one in years and forgot how witty and clever it is. 

I have Kellerman's  "Sacred and Profane" next. 

 

Audiobooks:

Almost finished "Lord of the Silent" by Peters and will be moving on to "The Chalk Pit" by Elly Griffiths

Reading is a lot slower now with little time at home but Audiobooks are consumed rather fast with two hours of daily driving.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin M said:

I have Fisher's Cocaine Blues waiting in the wings to read.  Currently reading Faith Hunter's Shattered Bonds plus ebook The Black God's Drums by P. Djeli Clark.

"In an alternate New Orleans caught in the tangle of the American Civil War, the wall-scaling girl named Creeper yearns to escape the streets for the air--in particular, by earning a spot on-board the airship Midnight Robber. Creeper plans to earn Captain Ann-Marie’s trust with information she discovers about a Haitian scientist and a mysterious weapon he calls The Black God’s Drums.

But Creeper also has a secret herself: Oya, the African orisha of the wind and storms, speaks inside her head, and may have her own ulterior motivations.

Soon, Creeper, Oya, and the crew of the Midnight Robber are pulled into a perilous mission aimed to stop the Black God’s Drums from being unleashed and wiping out the entirety of New Orleans."

 

Last night we introduced James to The Coneheads.  He wasn't too terribly impressed. Had many cringe worthy moments in his opinion.  However, he loved Prometheus which is the prequel to the Aliens. Great movie which we watched on Halloween, which made you cringe from the scary, gory, moments.  

 

I have Cocaine Blues ready to go also.........The Coneheads, I know Dh had it on a couple of weeks ago(it was free streaming) but I believe my kids gave up on it.  

54 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Just a quick check in.  Things don't calm down with my current schedule until Thanksgiving so it's chaos until then.  With all the chauffeuring I'm on the third audibook in the All Souls Trilogy (at over 24 hours each they're perfect for driving). I'm also listening to Shattered Bonds by Faith Hunter, which I read as an ARC. 😍 My review is below.

We pick up soon after Dark Queen and find the Yellowrock Clan has retreated to the Appalachian Mountains trying to find a cure for Jane's magically induced cancer. Jane is forced to spend most of her time in beast form and we watch as her family struggles to keep her engaged and fighting. We spend more time inside Jane/Beast's head in this book but don't let that fool you, there is plenty of action. The Son of Darkness doesn't care what is happening to Jane, and he is waging war on The Dark Queen and all those she holds dear. There is a lot of growth packed into these pages, you won't be disappointed!

Still slowly working on my Faith Hunter reread.......very slowly as I finished Mercy Blade last week.

Last week was spent  quickly reading books before Overdrive snatched them away.  I now do much of my reading on my iPad because of it’s stand and am unable to the WiFi off on the iPad so I try much harder to finish on time now.😉  The highlights were Once a Spy by Mary Joy Putney and Arsenic with Austen by Katherine Bolger Hyde.  Once a Spy was written by a favorite Flufferton author but this one is not for everyone...r*pe was mentioned more than once in detail.  The setting was England, France, and Belgium at the time of Waterloo.  It was well done.  Arsenic with Austen was an enjoyable cozy mystery and my 11th book in my 10 by 10 category titled “New Cozy Sampler Plate” which was designed so I would try some new series.  I forgot to record one series so my count was off and I read an extra but Arsenic with Austen was one of my favorites on this list😉 so glad I messed up.  

I also read The Vampire Knitting Club which I linked last week on Halloween for my official Spooky October book.  I really enjoyed it and will probably read more in the series.  It was light and read quickly.  The raised in the US main character arrives in Oxford England to visit her grandmother and learns her grandmother is dead or undead.  She has inherited a Wool shop that hosts a knitting club made up of vampires..........as I said light😉

  New Cozy Sampler Plate.......new to me Cozy mysteries ........10x10

        1.  The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax by Dorothy Gilman

        2.  A Murder for the Books by Victoria Gilbert

        3.  The Novel Art of Murder by VM Burns

        4.   Sew Deadly by Elizabeth Lynn Casey

        5.   By Cook or By Cook by Maya Corrigan

        6.   The Secret Book & Scone Society by Ellery Adams

        7.   Death Overdue by Allison Brook

        8.  Hearse and Buggy by Laura Bradford

        9.  Delivering the Truth by Edith Maxwell

       10. Arsenic with Austen by Katherine Bolger Hyde

       11. Plain Murder by Emma Miller

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read The Importance of Being Earnest - 4 Stars - 

I don’t believe that I’ve read a play since high school, more than thirty years ago. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. My daughter recommended it to me, and I thought to give it a go, since it’s short and she knows my taste. I’d never read anything by Oscar Wilde before and I envy his wit and cleverness. I could fully relate to Algernon and his love of food! This was such a fun read and I would love to see the play someday.

Some of my favorite quotes”

“I hate people who are not serious about meals. It is so shallow of them.”

“When I am in trouble, eating is the only thing that consoles me.”

“Never speak disrespectfully of Society, Algernon. Only people who can’t get into it do that.”

“Once a week is quite enough to dine with one’s relations.”

“You should get married. A misanthrope I can understand – a womanthrope, never!”

“I am not in favour of this modern mania for turning bad people into good people at a moment’s notice. As a man sows, so let him reap.”

“If one plays good music, people don’t listen, and if one plays bad music people don’t talk.”

-

“How you can sit there, calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can’t make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless."

"Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

"I say it’s perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances.”

-

9780451531896.jpg

Sharing some more pictures from Spain. While we were in Ronda, we visited some of the pueblos blancos (white villages) nearby. 

 

18a.jpg

29a.jpg

35.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the photos @Negin (that cobbled street just begs to be walked up!).  The Importance of Being Ernest is one of my family's book- to-movie favourites.

12 hours ago, mumto2 said:

 The Secret Book & Scone Society by Ellery Adams

Well done on completing another 10x10 mumto2.  The above book, I started it but couldn't find enough enjoyment to continue with it.  What did you think of it?

@Kareni you'll be missed here: have a lovely time away visiting your friend.

Thanks for another great thread @Robin M....  

Edited by tuesdayschild
typo ;)
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Straight to books.

Listening to:

  • Songbird: A Kings Lake Investigation Bk1  ~ Peter Grainger, narrated by Gildart Jackson  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47951040-songbird   (this one is right on the edge of what I can read. The investigation is post rape.)
  • Kim ~ Rudyard Kipling, narrated by Madhav Sharma (classic)

Completed:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completed four of my 10x10 challenges. The first three categories were a challenge to read as I really wanted to meet my self-imposed guidelines.  I don't think I'll try to do another christian fiction challenge, I ditched so many books trying to read titles I could get via the library or cheaply via amazon/audible.

Christian / Religious Fiction (10 of 10)     no author repeats, only use 2 books max in dual categories

  1. A.D. 33:  A.D. Series, Bk2 ~ Ted Dekker,  narrated by Ellen Archer  (3)
  2. The Divine Comedy ~ Dante Alighieri, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (translator), narrated by: Charlton Griffin (4)     This was a sip read I began in April 2017  (review)
  3. A Name Unknown:  Shadows Over England Bk1 ~ Roseanna M. White, narrated by Liz Pearce  (3) 
  4. Brother Francis: The Barefoot Saint of Assisi ~ Augustine Institute , Dr. Tim Gray, Paul McCusker  Audible Drama (3+)
  5. The Last Year of the War ~ Susan Meissner  (3+)
  6.  A Shameful Murder: Reverend Mother Bk1 ~ Cora Harrison, narrated by Rosalyn Landor (3)  (Catholic based)
  7. Return to Me: The Restoration Chronicles Bk1 ~ Lynn Austin (3.5)    & Israel
  8. The Maid of Fairbourne Hall ~ Julie Klassen, narrated by Elizabeth Jasicki (3) (cc)
  9. The Goliath Code:  A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller ~ Suzanne Leonhard, Gabrielle de Cuir (5)
  10. Some Danger Involved: Barker & Llewelyn Bk1 ~ Will Thomas, narrated by Antony Ferguson (4-) cc/Judaism 

Chunkster   ½ of 10x10   (5 of 5)    can’t be a classic

  1. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ~  Susanna Clarke, narrated by Simon Prebble  (5) 
  2. The Luminaries ~  Eleanor Catton (4-)    & NZ 
  3. House of Spies:  Gabriel Allon Bk17  ~ Daniel Silva, narrated by George Guidall (2-3) 
  4. The Goblin Emperor  ~  Katherine Addison (kindle)  ( 4+)   new author  (512pgs)
  5. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle ~ Stuart Turton  (519pgs)  (3.5)  new author

Israel   ½ of 10x10   (5 of 5)     no author repeats

  1. A.D. 30:  A.D. Series Bk1 ~ Ted Dekker  (4)  576 pgs
  2. Spies of No Country:  Secret Lives at the Birth of Israel ~ Matti Friedman, narrated by Simon Vance (NF) (3++)
  3. Return to Me: The Restoration Chronicles Bk1 ~ Lynn Austin (3.5)
  4. The New Girl: Gabriel Allon Bk19 ~ Daniel da Silva  (epukapuka) (3)
  5. Unshaken: Lineage of Grace Bk3 (Ruth) ~ Francine Rivers (4)

Downunder,  Locale or Author  (10 of 10)  no author repeats, only use 2 books max in dual categories

  1. Being Maori Chinese: Mixed Identities ~ Manying Ip   (N/F NZ)    (3+)
  2. Arawata Bill: The Story of Legendary Gold Prospector William James O'Leary ~ Ian Dougherty   (N/F NZ)    (3)    
  3. Don't Stop Believin' ~  Olivia Newton-John   (N/F Aus)     (3-) 
  4. The Christmas Card Crime ~ Donald Stuart , narrated by Gordon Griffin  (Aust)     (3-)
  5. The Luminaries ~  Eleanor Catton  (NZ)     (4-)    & Chunkster
  6. Surfeit of Lampreys ~ Ngaio Marsh, narrated by Philip Franks (NZ)    (4) 
  7. The Note Through the Wire ~ Doug Gold  (N/F NZ)    (4.5)
  8. The Land Girls ~ Victoria Purman, narrated by Jennifer Vuletic (Aust)    (4.25)
  9. Bony and the Kelly Gang: Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte Bk25 ~ Arthur W. Upfield, narrated by Peter Hosking (Aust)    (4)
  10. Medic on the Move: Even Further Adventures of a Scottish Country Doctor, Bk3 ~ Dr Tom Smith (NZ travelogue)    (3)
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm listening to America's Bank by Roger Lowenstein. It was recommended by the Hive at some point. These type of books always make me wish I knew my history better. If I ever get around to reading The Creature from Jekyll Island, I feel like I'll be able to wrap my head around the whole Central Bank idea.

I just finished The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo. I feel like y'all talked about this after it came out, but I wanted to say that while I did not like how it was written (present time, back in time, present time, back in time), I felt like the author really understood what it is like to be a child, a spouse, and a parent. Relationships are never always easy. Even the closest family or friendships have rough spots; unspoken things can become huge or they can be smoothed over without talking about them (but maybe are always a bump instead of the previous flat spot). Parents never stop worrying about their kids. Kids realizing their parents are human beings doesn't necessarily ever mean they will understand what went into the decisions they made. And childhood for one kid in a family can be so radically different than childhood of another in the same family with the same parents. Too much sex, smoking, drinking, and swearing for my taste, but it was gritty and REAL. I empathized with many of the characters even when I was baffled by their actions & choices. That's real life.

I'm rereading Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza before attacking the next book in the series. It is slow going at some points like it was the first time, but I remember it was a good overall read. (Like lots of books, I don't remember how it ended. Thus, a reread is necessary.)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

 

Well done on completing another 10x10 mumto2.  The above book, I started it but couldn't find enough enjoyment to continue with it.  What did you think of it?

The Secret Book &Scone Society was a book that I really liked until I didn’t.  I really had a hard time deciding what to do with it rating wise.  I gave it a 3* because I loved the setting, the boxcar etc just completely captured my imagination.  That said I ceased to like the characters as the book progressed and finished to confirm who did it.  I could read more in the series but doubt I ever will.......I know the author has other Cozy series and I think I have tried one of those and abandoned it early.

Fyi,  The Novel Art of Murder and By Cook and By Cook were other series that I probably will not be reading more of.  

Overall I feel like I accomplished something with the category because I used to love this type of light “niche” mystery.  I stopped reading them for a few years and the market sort of exploded and there were so many choices I wasn’t checking any out of the library.  Now I know a few series that I like and have identified the next in the series on wish lists for spelling challenges.😉

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Now I know a few series that I like and have identified the next in the series on wish lists for spelling challenges.😉

Having a wishlist to cover spelling those tricky letters sure helps 😄

(I'm trying to archive letter 'e's for later.)

***

Q:  Wondering if anyone here has read  Hazards in Hampshire by Emma Dakin

***

Completed Fire in the Thatch: Robert MacDonald Bk27 ~ E.C.R. Lorac (4)  (pub 1946. Setting, Devonshire during WWII).    Though it took me a little while to settle into Kris Dyer's narration, this worked out to be an enjoyable, easy, listen.  If you like mystery stories with cleverly worded dialogue, quite a lot of dialogue, like I do, then this is pleasurable, low key, listening at it’s best.  It’s the first time I’ve encountered Chief Inspector Robert MacDonald and I’m keen to read more of the cases he solves.  Lorac gives clues so that I worked out the position the whodunit character filled, but not their name until very late in the book. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I forget........The Goodreads Choice Awards are available for voting.  These awards always fascinate me because I frequently have only read one or two of the books across all the categories.  I pay a lot of attention to new releases and always expect to have read most of the mystery section for instance.....one this year.  This year I did a bit better because of my Sci Fi challenge (2 in that section) and the fact that I have been reading some (what I call modern) romances.  Not Harliquin/Mills Boone which are comfort reads for me.....I have decided I like Helena Hunting and just finished her latest Handle with Care this morning......two of her other books were part of the Goodreads best of’s. 

Does anyone else even bother to vote?  I always feel bad voting for the one or two that I have read.......opinions?  

Btw When I see books in the categories I have abandoned which sort of makes me vote for the one I managed to finish

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Does anyone else even bother to vote?  I always feel bad voting for the one or two that I have read.......opinions?  

Btw When I see books in the categories I have abandoned which sort of makes me vote for the one I managed to finish

I do vote if I've read a book and enjoyed it; and, I don't feel badly about voting for what I have read as usually, like this year, I have not read even one of the books Goodreads is offering up as 'best read' options ....   (if I do read a new-to-print book, it's not one that is on any goodreads list).   

 

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a busy week so far and I have just gotten a chance to click on the links as I have been reading in locations where the wi Fi has been poor.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:29 PM, RootAnn said:

I'm listening to America's Bank by Roger Lowenstein. It was recommended by the Hive at some point. These type of books always make me wish I knew my history better. If I ever get around to reading The Creature from Jekyll Island, I feel like I'll be able to wrap my head around the whole Central Bank idea.

I just finished The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo. I feel like y'all talked about this after it came out, but I wanted to say that while I did not like how it was written (present time, back in time, present time, back in time), I felt like the author really understood what it is like to be a child, a spouse, and a parent. Relationships are never always easy. Even the closest family or friendships have rough spots; unspoken things can become huge or they can be smoothed over without talking about them (but maybe are always a bump instead of the previous flat spot). Parents never stop worrying about their kids. Kids realizing their parents are human beings doesn't necessarily ever mean they will understand what went into the decisions they made. And childhood for one kid in a family can be so radically different than childhood of another in the same family with the same parents. Too much sex, smoking, drinking, and swearing for my taste, but it was gritty and REAL. I empathized with many of the characters even when I was baffled by their actions & choices. That's real life.

I'm rereading Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza before attacking the next book in the series. It is slow going at some points like it was the first time, but I remember it was a good overall read. (Like lots of books, I don't remember how it ended. Thus, a reread is necessary.)

Thanks for mentioning Empress of a Thousand Sky’s.  My library has the audiobook so I plan to listen to it soon as I believe it actually takes place in outer space.  I made outer space a reading category for books for 2019 and seem to be either abandoning them or discovering they take place in an earthly alternative world.

On 11/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, tuesdayschild said:

Having a wishlist to cover spelling those tricky letters sure helps 😄

(I'm trying to archive letter 'e's for later.)

***

Q:  Wondering if anyone here has read  Hazards in Hampshire by Emma Dakin

***

Completed Fire in the Thatch: Robert MacDonald Bk27 ~ E.C.R. Lorac (4)  (pub 1946. Setting, Devonshire during WWII).    Though it took me a little while to settle into Kris Dyer's narration, this worked out to be an enjoyable, easy, listen.  If you like mystery stories with cleverly worded dialogue, quite a lot of dialogue, like I do, then this is pleasurable, low key, listening at it’s best.  It’s the first time I’ve encountered Chief Inspector Robert MacDonald and I’m keen to read more of the cases he solves.  Lorac gives clues so that I worked out the position the whodunit character filled, but not their name until very late in the book. 

I haven’t read Hazards in Hampshire but it sounds like something I would enjoy.  I noticed it was recently released.........  btw, Your book Categories are so well done.  Glad to see you enjoyed The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

I finished spelling Toby Peters the detective for October.......

T.........Three Act Tragedy by Agatha Christie 

O........Once a Spy by Mary Jo Putney

B.........The Blight Way by Patrick McManus

Y..........Murder on the Yellow Brick Road by Stuart Kaminsky

 

P.........Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsy

E........Plain Killing by Emma Miller

T........Delivering the Truth by Edith Maxwell

E........The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

R........Rupture by Ragnar Jonasson

S.........The Stolen Mackenzie Bride by Jennifer Ashley

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Before I forget........The Goodreads Choice Awards are available for voting.  These awards always fascinate me because I frequently have only read one or two of the books across all the categories.

I don't believe that I've ever voted, since I have seldom read any of the books. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a wonderful time with my friend (thank you for the good wishes); there was a lot of conversation and laughter. I managed to squeeze in a little reading time on the train and after my friend departed.

I quite enjoyed Quarter Share (Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Book 1) by Nathan Lowell. I started it yesterday after my friend left, finished it today, and have begun book two. It's classified as science fiction because it takes place in space, but it's a rather mellow story with no battles. The Trader's Tales name of the series is accurate as a lot of trading takes place. This book would be a fine read for teens as well as adults.

 "The Golden Age of Sail has Returned -- in the Year 2352!

When his mother dies in a flitter crash, eighteen-year-old Ishmael Horatio Wang must find a job on the company planet company or leave the system--and NerisCo isn't hiring.

With credits running low, and prospects limited, he has just one hope...to sign onto a deep space freighter for two years. Ishmael- who only rarely visited the Neris Orbital and has never beenoff-planet alone before -- finds himself part of an eclectic crewsailing a deep space leviathan between the stars.

Join Ishmael and the crew of the SC Lois McKendrick as she sets solar sails in search of profit."

 **

I also read and enjoyed Polaris Rising (The Consortium Rebellion Book 1) by Jessie Mihalik which I'd describe as a science fiction action romance. While I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, I don't think this is a book I'll be quick to reread. (Adult content)

 "Polaris Rising is space opera at its best, intense and addictive, a story of honor, courage, betrayal, and love. Jessie Mihalik is  an author to watch.”--Ilona Andrews, #1 New York Times bestselling author

A space princess on the run and a notorious outlaw soldier become unlikely allies in this imaginative, sexy space opera adventure—the first in an exciting science fiction trilogy.

In the far distant future, the universe is officially ruled by the Royal Consortium, but the High Councillors, the heads of the three High Houses, wield the true power. As the fifth of six children, Ada von Hasenberg has no authority; her only value to her High House is as a pawn in a political marriage. When her father arranges for her to wed a noble from House Rockhurst, a man she neither wants nor loves, Ada seizes control of her own destiny. The spirited princess flees before the betrothal ceremony and disappears among the stars.

Ada eluded her father’s forces for two years, but now her luck has run out. To ensure she cannot escape again, the fiery princess is thrown into a prison cell with Marcus Loch. Known as the Devil of Fornax Zero, Loch is rumored to have killed his entire chain of command during the Fornax Rebellion, and the Consortium wants his head.

When the ship returning them to Earth is attacked by a battle cruiser from rival House Rockhurst, Ada realizes that if her jilted fiancé captures her, she’ll become a political prisoner and a liability to her House. Her only hope is to strike a deal with the dangerous fugitive: a fortune if he helps her escape.

But when you make a deal with an irresistibly attractive Devil, you may lose more than you bargained for . . . "

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I had a wonderful time with my friend (thank you for the good wishes); there was a lot of conversation and laughter. I managed to squeeze in a little reading other on the train and after my friend departed.

I quite enjoyed Quarter Share (Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Book 1) by Nathan Lowell. I started it yesterday after my friend left, finished it today, and have begun book two. It's classified as science fiction because it takes place in space, but it's a rather mellow story with no battles. The Trader's Tales name of the series is accurate as a lot of trading takes place. This book would be a fine read for teens as well as adults.

 "The Golden Age of Sail has Returned -- in the Year 2352!

When his mother dies in a flitter crash, eighteen-year-old Ishmael Horatio Wang must find a job on the company planet company or leave the system--and NerisCo isn't hiring.

With credits running low, and prospects limited, he has just one hope...to sign onto a deep space freighter for two years. Ishmael- who only rarely visited the Neris Orbital and has never beenoff-planet alone before -- finds himself part of an eclectic crewsailing a deep space leviathan between the stars.

Join Ishmael and the crew of the SC Lois McKendrick as she sets solar sails in search of profit."

 **

I also read and enjoyed Polaris Rising (The Consortium Rebellion Book 1) by Jessie Mihalik which I'd describe as a science fiction action romance. While I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, I don't think this is a book I'll be quick to reread. (Adult content)

 "Polaris Rising is space opera at its best, intense and addictive, a story of honor, courage, betrayal, and love. Jessie Mihalik is  an author to watch.”--Ilona Andrews, #1 New York Times bestselling author

A space princess on the run and a notorious outlaw soldier become unlikely allies in this imaginative, sexy space opera adventure—the first in an exciting science fiction trilogy.

In the far distant future, the universe is officially ruled by the Royal Consortium, but the High Councillors, the heads of the three High Houses, wield the true power. As the fifth of six children, Ada von Hasenberg has no authority; her only value to her High House is as a pawn in a political marriage. When her father arranges for her to wed a noble from House Rockhurst, a man she neither wants nor loves, Ada seizes control of her own destiny. The spirited princess flees before the betrothal ceremony and disappears among the stars.

Ada eluded her father’s forces for two years, but now her luck has run out. To ensure she cannot escape again, the fiery princess is thrown into a prison cell with Marcus Loch. Known as the Devil of Fornax Zero, Loch is rumored to have killed his entire chain of command during the Fornax Rebellion, and the Consortium wants his head.

When the ship returning them to Earth is attacked by a battle cruiser from rival House Rockhurst, Ada realizes that if her jilted fiancé captures her, she’ll become a political prisoner and a liability to her House. Her only hope is to strike a deal with the dangerous fugitive: a fortune if he helps her escape.

But when you make a deal with an irresistibly attractive Devil, you may lose more than you bargained for . . . "

Regards,

Kareni

Welcome back!  Glad you had such an enjoyable time.

Polaris Rising is a book that I have had on hold for a few weeks...I expect to find it in my account this week.😉

I am finishing the Linesman series soon,  possibly tonight as we are heading out to pick up a neighbor at the airport.  Her flight is delayed currently.  As soon as her plane is in the air Dh and I are heading to the cell phone lot.  The Linesman has been fun ....Dd is right behind me reading the books as I gave her one of my old fires that I could download them on.   I believe she is at the end of Linesman.  I am unexpectedly really enjoying Confluence......which was you favorite?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Welcome back!  Glad you had such an enjoyable time.

Thanks very much! Me, too.

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Polaris Rising is a book that I have had on hold for a few weeks...I expect to find it in my account this week.😉

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

The Linesman has been fun ....

I'm so glad you and your daughter have been enjoying the series. (My daughter also enjoyed them as did my husband.)

9 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

 I am unexpectedly really enjoying Confluence......which was you favorite?

Oooh, that's a good question that is difficult for me to answer. I really liked Linesman because that is where I first met the characters. I remember feeling a little confused when I began Alliance, because I feared that there was a new central character; I was relieved when Ean arrived on the page. I enjoyed Confluence because 

it highlighted the growing closeness between Ean and Radko

. If I have to choose, I'll go with Linesman, but I like them all. What about you?

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Thanks very much! Me, too.

I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I'm so glad you and your daughter have been enjoying the series. (My daughter also enjoyed them as did my husband.)

Oooh, that's a good question that is difficult for me to answer. I really liked Linesman because that is where I first met the characters. I remember feeling a little confused when I began Alliance, because I feared that there was a new central character; I was relieved when Ean arrived on the page. I enjoyed Confluence because 

  Reveal hidden contents

it highlighted the growing closeness between Ean and Radko

. If I have to choose, I'll go with Linesman, but I like them all. What about you?

Regards,

Kareni

I still don’t know the ending so am not positive as to favorite for sure.  I am find the technology on the alien ships fascinating and of course budding romances are my soft spot so at this moment Confluence wins.  I think there is another couple beyond the hidden one also developing........am I wrong?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I think there is another couple beyond the hidden one also developing........am I wrong?

I believe you are correct (assuming we are thinking of the same people)! I shall not say more.

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kareni I finished Confluence this morning and have to say it was the favorite but it ended with the need for another book!  I don’t think a newish book by the author called Stars Uncharted will have the same characters but I did check it out. I did a very quick look and couldn’t find anything about a new Linesman book.  Is there one in progress?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, Kareni said:

I had a wonderful time with my friend (thank you for the good wishes); there was a lot of conversation and laughter. I managed to squeeze in a little reading time on the train and after my friend departed.

I quite enjoyed Quarter Share (Trader's Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper Book 1) by Nathan Lowell. I started it yesterday after my friend left, finished it today, and have begun book two. It's classified as science fiction because it takes place in space, but it's a rather mellow story with no battles. The Trader's Tales name of the series is accurate as a lot of trading takes place. This book would be a fine read for teens as well as adults.

 "The Golden Age of Sail has Returned -- in the Year 2352!

When his mother dies in a flitter crash, eighteen-year-old Ishmael Horatio Wang must find a job on the company planet company or leave the system--and NerisCo isn't hiring.

With credits running low, and prospects limited, he has just one hope...to sign onto a deep space freighter for two years. Ishmael- who only rarely visited the Neris Orbital and has never beenoff-planet alone before -- finds himself part of an eclectic crewsailing a deep space leviathan between the stars.

Join Ishmael and the crew of the SC Lois McKendrick as she sets solar sails in search of profit."

 **

I also read and enjoyed Polaris Rising (The Consortium Rebellion Book 1) by Jessie Mihalik which I'd describe as a science fiction action romance. While I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series, I don't think this is a book I'll be quick to reread. (Adult content)

 "Polaris Rising is space opera at its best, intense and addictive, a story of honor, courage, betrayal, and love. Jessie Mihalik is  an author to watch.”--Ilona Andrews, #1 New York Times bestselling author

A space princess on the run and a notorious outlaw soldier become unlikely allies in this imaginative, sexy space opera adventure—the first in an exciting science fiction trilogy.

In the far distant future, the universe is officially ruled by the Royal Consortium, but the High Councillors, the heads of the three High Houses, wield the true power. As the fifth of six children, Ada von Hasenberg has no authority; her only value to her High House is as a pawn in a political marriage. When her father arranges for her to wed a noble from House Rockhurst, a man she neither wants nor loves, Ada seizes control of her own destiny. The spirited princess flees before the betrothal ceremony and disappears among the stars.

Ada eluded her father’s forces for two years, but now her luck has run out. To ensure she cannot escape again, the fiery princess is thrown into a prison cell with Marcus Loch. Known as the Devil of Fornax Zero, Loch is rumored to have killed his entire chain of command during the Fornax Rebellion, and the Consortium wants his head.

When the ship returning them to Earth is attacked by a battle cruiser from rival House Rockhurst, Ada realizes that if her jilted fiancé captures her, she’ll become a political prisoner and a liability to her House. Her only hope is to strike a deal with the dangerous fugitive: a fortune if he helps her escape.

But when you make a deal with an irresistibly attractive Devil, you may lose more than you bargained for . . . "

Regards,

Kareni

 

I enjoyed the whole series of books that follow Quarter Share and take the hero through captaincy of a trading empire. Good stuff.

I read Polaris Rising this week....I'd read a sequel...I guess. But not sure this feisty heroine is that unique.

Love SciFi recommendations!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

Love SciFi recommendations!!

You definitely should consider SK Dunstall's Linesman series which I've been recommending hither and yon. Both @mumto2 and @tuesdayschild have liked it, too. Begin with Linesman (A Linesman Novel Book 1).

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

@Kareni I finished Confluence this morning and have to say it was the favorite but it ended with the need for another book!  I don’t think a newish book by the author called Stars Uncharted will have the same characters but I did check it out. I did a very quick look and couldn’t find anything about a new Linesman book.  Is there one in progress?

I read Stars Uncharted and enjoyed  (but did not love) it. It is totally unrelated to The Linesman and is set in a different universe with no lines. There is currently no Linesman book in view, but I've seen snippets that give hope that one day there might be more in that world. The authors' next book is a sequel to Stars Uncharted, and there is word of a potential fantasy book that might follow. I want more Ean, too....

Regards,

Kareni

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...