Menu

Accountability Thread 11/3-11/9

Morning! It's cold, and very sunny outside. I spent my extra hour sleeping, mostly because I put my lower back out yesterday morning, and I spent most of the day in pain with a heat-pack, drugged up, and miserable. I'm better this morning. Back to work.

Today's goals: grocery list, school schedules, editing, drafting. And I'm bound and determined to get two self-care things done today--a walk and a shower. I hurt to much to do either yesterday.

• Like 2

Morning! A long day of writing and revising is planned for me. The boys are on a short schedule this week for a field trip with DH tomorrow. Other than that, I'm still in a lot of pain and struggling through it. Hopefully won't be much longer and the muscles will unclench. 

• Like 1

@Critterfixer -- crossing my fingers that your pain improves & that you can lose yourself a bit in the revising -- hope it is as much fun as possible! 

Today is a Recovery Morning.  Elder DS wants to be high school, after freaking myself out this weekend I am settling into a plan whereby he keeps on the academic route we have planned, with very minor revision, and we call him ninth.  I'm getting him his own copy of WTM and having him set up record-keeping this term, and we'll go over what he needs to be doing so that at the start of next term he's on solid footing.  Then we can just keep moving forward and assume a 13-year education, and if he wants to graduate sooner he will need to let us know and we'll work it out.  It is possible that his academics would naturally compress if we keep working, but probably not without some serious focus on my part. 

Between all my weekend high-school brainstorming and recent power outages and other stuff, we're seriously off our stride.  So this morning is work in garden, clean house, plan the week & rest of term to account for our original and our adjusted goals.  Ideally figure out how to high-school our history; shouldn't be too crazy, I just need to pull together a Good Books integrated plan that would have some math and science too.  Sort of Great Books pre-year.  Younger DS could be academically accelerated, he's sort of been back-burnered this year, so it might work to gently compress both of them over the next few years, which would makes things line up easily for our WTM-oriented education; it puts them in the same year, topically, and exactly on the plan in the book.  IE, "fourth" and "eighth" being modern history, then "fifth" and "ninth" ancients.  It will really help me with elder DS if I can stick to script. 

This afternoon: essential school + literature, do some sort of run through basic literary analysis with both boys.  Essential school: languages, piano, math.

Afternoon for me: plenty of exercise, will help my own (currently minor) pain issues recede, have house clean when DH gets home, have dinner early-ish so that the evening feels relaxed & we get plenty of read aloud time.  Elder DS' read-aloud is the third book in the Foundation trilogy and I am very ready to move on.  Asimov has some cool ideas but the sexism in this particular book is weighing heavily, and there are some unappealing racial overtones too.  Fortunately I get to edit on the fly and don't have to speak it; DS knows about the editing and approved it. 

okay: off to implement! 

ETA: keeping notes here.  I have the "credits" I need for elder DS planned in STEM & languages, starting after Thanksgiving.  If we just finish our Memoria Press Geography III, then we have 1/2 credit high school social studies right there.  I've been wanting to run the "Movies as Literature" and that is easily 1/2 literature.  I've also been wanting to do the Great Books Jr. science anthologies, which can be literature.  We can pull from Early Modern/Modern history, American history, American literature to fill any gaps.  Okay, feeling less panicked ...

Edited by serendipitous journey

Morning. Neck and back are still sore, but a little better this morning. DH took today off, and he and the boys are going to play golf. It's been raining, but I think they hope to catch a break in advance of the heavy rain coming in this evening. I'm going to revise this morning, do a little walking to stretch, and then draft for NaNo.

• Like 1

Morning. Slowly continuing to improve. I can actually move my head a little more this morning before it hurts. Lots of reading and writing to do today. We don't have art in town because it's raining, but I'll probably get a few projects started today. I have a novel scene to draw, possibly a logo for a friend, and then I want to try a water scene with a fish.

• Like 1

I wasn't feeling well yesterday and only did Phonics with DD. Daddy did math, writing and they are still creating their volcano. Tomorrow we will get the paints she needs and she will paint it tomorrow. 

Today was homeschool co-op. I will do phonics and she will read to me.

Chores

• Like 2

Morning! Last day of revisions on one story, and then I can draft without revision brain trying to slow me down. And boy does my house need to be cleaned. I mean really cleaned. Like closets, cabinets and stuff. I'm considering taking most of December and January to schedule a deep cleaning of the house, garage, and gardens to be ready for spring. It's getting close to time to be thinking about winter term, too. 

• Like 1

Morning!  Today feels draggy and demoralizing.  We are having character challenges here, and Wednesday evening I went to a local community meeting -- am trying to help out with fire-prevention and safety -- that had so many of the folks from our former church.  Thank goodness DH went along too.  But now all that Old Stuff is in my head.  Unhelpful! 

Today: school, with a focus on piano, essential language stuff, science and prepping a checklist for next week/rest of term.  Figure out how many terms/weeks we'll schedule for the next two history cycles and sketch stuff in; consider having elder DS go through WTM and make his weekly list.  May wait until he has his own copy here.  🙂 

Clean, exercise, have peaceful home when DH returns. 

Blessings on y'all today, and thanks for your company on this journey! 

ETA: our finishing-up list: Bible & other memory, some earth science for younger + go over two piano scales (C & G major, prob.); get some fruit & veggies at the store after lessons today; prioritize eating healthy snacks & getting exercise, then cleaning & planning.  Want to remember to do Evan Moor geography next week. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1