Menu

Not loving LTW....

jens2sons

Hello all!  As I am getting ready to transition my son from CC to homeschooling without an umbrella, I am in need of some advice as to where I can go from here in regards to writing.  CC uses The Lost Tools of Writing and as much as I like the ANI chart idea, the program itself is kind of confusing to use.  I read on the Cathy Duffy reviews site that it's really meant to be used in a classroom setting which I'm seeing is accurate.  We have completed a couple years of IEW theme based writing courses through the CC Essentials program also.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can go from here?  We've only been using LTW for a few months and honestly, because of the ridiculous pace of CC, we really haven't had much luck actually getting to the writing portion of the papers.  We've only gotten as far as the outline.  Thanks so much!

We didn't do CC but we did LTOW last year and found it very slow moving.  If you have the ability to speed the pace, the ANI chart is useful, and I did find the outline useful. Otherwise, there is too little focus on various sentence structure/style elements. So you will have to add those in. Without that intervention it produces very simplistic sentences. I personally found it very hard to implement because it was tough to find stories that worked well with their model. That said, since then I have found the ANI very helpful for organizing ideas.

Edited by cintinative