Menu

November Frugalistas

mommyoffive

All kids needed new ballet flats, ds needed jazz shoes, and odd needed new pointe shoes.   That was about $200

Spent $100 getting some new dance apparel for odd. 

Violin books and rests.  And ds outgrew his violin so he needs another one.  

Saved $20 at the pizza store. 

Just saw that our license plate fees went up $20  per car.

Our ever increasing water bill.  The city increasing the rates it is crazy.  

Used a 50% off code for a sandwich place today.  Didn't realize it only included the sandwiches, not the $5 tiny tiny cup of soup I bought dd.   Lesson learned.  Opps. 

Forgot to open a bank account to get a bonus.  Lost 1k doing that. 

Dh's paychecks are higher since we reached his 401k max.   

Oh bought 3 of the kids new boots.  $120 that was a pair for me too.  I think I am taking back one or 2 pair and getting a different style. 

Haven't grocery shopped.  

We spent 0 on Halloween because we were not home.  

Booked a hotel for 2 weekends during crazy Nutcracker rehearsals.   We live 1 hour each way so it is worth taking a break when we are in the heat of it.   I will probably be booking some more tonight. 

So far, so good!  I mean, we're only 3 days into the month, but..LOL

Things I have spent/am budgeting to spend on on:
Ds will need a new reading book by January.  I picked that up and at the same time found next year's English book on sale at Rainbow Resource because it was slightly damaged. 
We are going out today to hit the Halloween sales.  We have a specific list for next year: skeletons, bones, and that's mostly it.  Our yard slowly has been transforming over the years to a zombie apocalypse and we're just adding skeletons next year to the decorations if we can get them cheap.
Ds's team is doing a tournament in January and raising funds. Since this is the time of year when requests start coming from all sides(so far in the past few weeks we've also been hit for pictures and other fees), plus holidays, and we know it's hitting some of the parents harder than others, we budgeted extra to the team pot to help ease the strain.
It's time to restock our wine cellar.  We'll wait a week or two until they go on sale and grab around 6 reds and 6 whites for now.

Ways to save this month:
Dh had been spending $3 on coffee every time he takes ds to hockey, so about $9/week.  We started making a pot at home to go with instead, and now are switching it up with cocoa, tea, and hot cider.  All less than $3/cup.
Most of our T-day meal will be from scratch.  I'm keeping my eye on turkey right now to see when it goes on sale.
One of our local rinks is doing a canned food drive.  Every day this month is free admission to public skate with a can of food. 

Grocery shopped.  $200

Returned $53 worth of things. 

Booked another 2 night stay so we could be closer for Nutcracker rehearsals.   $330

Free picture at Walgreens

https://hip2save.com/tips/free-photo-prints-walgreens-photo-coupon-code/

Work from home job if anyone is interested.

https://hip2save.com/2019/11/04/williams-sonoma-hiring-remote-workers-holidays/

I borrowed two rather niche and obscure books from our library. I didn’t think there was any chance that they stocked them, but they do! Saved $30 as I wanted to read one of those badly enough that I was going to buy it. (I only buy 2-3 books a year.)

Dh and I continue to work on the house. Our current project will save about $1000 compared to if we hired the work out. 

• Like 1

Had carried a balance over on the credit card after the Month of Surprises we had, but that is paid off now.  Thanks to that month, we have two new debt line items in our budget (a furnace and a car) after we were down to only mortgage and Dh’s school loan.  I think I have dh convinced that we should throw our extra funds at the car first—he really wanted to work on the furnace first, because it is the smaller of the two, but it has no interest for two years and our current repayment rate will pay it off before then, whereas the car is 3.99% interest, so I feel we should be putting our extra payments towards that.

I discovered a few months ago that we actually can have an HSA through dh’s work.  He will hopefully get us signed up for that today, so that we will be able to use that starting in January.

I  am trying to catch back up on the paperwork that I’ve been falling behind on lately, and found a visa gift card for $100 that I had forgotten we’d received from an internet provider promotion.  So that will go into the Christmas fund.  I had three different things I should be able to be reimbursed for which I finally did the paperwork for.  The next thing I’ve got to get done is getting our old van cleaned up and listing it for sale.  

Does anyone know where to get the best price on big diapers?  My three-year-old foster daughter is really big for her age (wears larger pants than my five-year-old) and is still showing no interest or readiness for potty training at all.  She’s in size six diapers, but they’re getting pretty small on her.

• Like 1

So far so good. We're still at a bare bone budget because of recovering from credit card debt that got away from us.  On Friday the last payment will go to the bank and we'll be debt free minus the mortgage again!  Even after that we need to remain on a bare bones budget.  Dh is looking for a new job, he has an interview on Thursday, with the type of jobs he's currently applying for there will likely be a slight pay decrease.  But that will be balanced out with phenomenal benefits. So, we are socking away as much money as we can until his pay decrease and if he gets the job before this baby comes he'll get no paid time off so we'll need a buffer for that period.

We've switched to a cash system for now and that is going pretty well.  We take a certain amount of money out each payday for certain categories and once that is gone we don't spend anymore.  It is helping remind me what things really aren't necessary in the moment purchases when something goes wrong.  Like there are house things that have popped up and it has been interesting to evaluate if that needs to get done immediately or if it can wait to be fit into the budget next payday. Most of it isn't immediate.

Dh gets paid on Friday and until then we don't have much cash in many categories.  We finished our grocery budget today, which will easily get us through the week.  Our gas fund is spent so that means I'm home until Thurs night so I can save gas for when I need to take the kids to kung fu again.  I ran all my errands today while they were at class so I wouldn't need to use the car again this week.  Dh has plenty of gas to get to work.  We still have a good amount in our misc category so if something comes up we're covered.

Hope the month goes well for everyone.

• Like 1

Good things:

• Dragged out some American Girl stuff to see if it will sell during the Christmas season. Listed the big dollhouse this morning. Also found an outgrown pair of snow boots and some clothing that I can probably sell.
  • Returned $10 worth of stuff to Walmart today - no receipt, so store credit.
  • Stocked up on most grocery items this past week. Didn't find a good meat sale though, and my freezer is looking bare.
  • Have a few classes with VIPKid this week.
  • Used some leftover Halloween candy in cookie making this weekend (Reese's peanut butter cup chocolate chip cookies). 
  • Middle DD reached her medical out of pocket a week ago, so everything from here til Dec 31 is free.
  • Found a LEGO set buried in the closet - will use as a Christmas present for youngest.
  • DD's rocketry team was unable to certify her in the large motors (while bad for her, it did save $50 on the cert fee).

Bad things:

• Doctor put DD on some new allergy meds - cost me an additional $30 for the month.
  • Postage is really, really expensive! We mailed a care package to a friend undergoing chemo and I just about fell over when she said the price. Ugh.
  • My laptop is really too old to do VIPKid on - I will need a new one if I continue teaching. For now, I'm going to try DD's laptop. We'll see how that one works. 

10 hours ago, hjffkj said:

So far so good. We're still at a bare bone budget because of recovering from credit card debt that got away from us.  On Friday the last payment will go to the bank and we'll be debt free minus the mortgage again!  Even after that we need to remain on a bare bones budget.  Dh is looking for a new job, he has an interview on Thursday, with the type of jobs he's currently applying for there will likely be a slight pay decrease.  But that will be balanced out with phenomenal benefits. So, we are socking away as much money as we can until his pay decrease and if he gets the job before this baby comes he'll get no paid time off so we'll need a buffer for that period.

We've switched to a cash system for now and that is going pretty well.  We take a certain amount of money out each payday for certain categories and once that is gone we don't spend anymore.  It is helping remind me what things really aren't necessary in the moment purchases when something goes wrong.  Like there are house things that have popped up and it has been interesting to evaluate if that needs to get done immediately or if it can wait to be fit into the budget next payday. Most of it isn't immediate.

Dh gets paid on Friday and until then we don't have much cash in many categories.  We finished our grocery budget today, which will easily get us through the week.  Our gas fund is spent so that means I'm home until Thurs night so I can save gas for when I need to take the kids to kung fu again.  I ran all my errands today while they were at class so I wouldn't need to use the car again this week.  Dh has plenty of gas to get to work.  We still have a good amount in our misc category so if something comes up we're covered.

Hope the month goes well for everyone.

Glad you got through that stressful patch.  It sounds like you are doing great. 

How is your pg going?   Did you end up finding an OBGYN?

9 hours ago, beckyjo said:

Good things:

• Dragged out some American Girl stuff to see if it will sell during the Christmas season. Listed the big dollhouse this morning. Also found an outgrown pair of snow boots and some clothing that I can probably sell.
  • Returned $10 worth of stuff to Walmart today - no receipt, so store credit.
  • Stocked up on most grocery items this past week. Didn't find a good meat sale though, and my freezer is looking bare.
  • Have a few classes with VIPKid this week.
  • Used some leftover Halloween candy in cookie making this weekend (Reese's peanut butter cup chocolate chip cookies). 
  • Middle DD reached her medical out of pocket a week ago, so everything from here til Dec 31 is free.
  • Found a LEGO set buried in the closet - will use as a Christmas present for youngest.
  • DD's rocketry team was unable to certify her in the large motors (while bad for her, it did save $50 on the cert fee).

Bad things:

• Doctor put DD on some new allergy meds - cost me an additional $30 for the month.
  • Postage is really, really expensive! We mailed a care package to a friend undergoing chemo and I just about fell over when she said the price. Ugh.
  • My laptop is really too old to do VIPKid on - I will need a new one if I continue teaching. For now, I'm going to try DD's laptop. We'll see how that one works. 

Wow, that was fast!!!!  Good for you for getting classes so fast.  Awesome. 

I don't know if anyone uses Ibotta, but if you do, here is a potential "deal" for you that is a small money maker.  It's still a good deal even if you don't use Ibotta. 

Walmart has a rebate on Stayfree, Carefree, and o.b. products. Walmart Protection Rewards  You buy a product on their list (or multiple products) totalling $5.67 or more, submit the rebate to Walmart and get a $5 Walmart giftcard in return.  The rebate comes quickly! I had an email with my code a few hours after I uploaded a photo of my receipt.

If you use Ibotta, check to see if you have either a Stayfree or O.B. organic tampon offer.  I had an offer on Ibotta for $2.25 cashback on o.b. organic tampons. I also found an internet printable coupon for them.  Here's how the deal worked for me:

1 box o.b. organic @ $6.97

Minus $1 coupon = $5.97

Minus $2.25 Ibotta rebate = $3.72

Received $5 Walmart giftcard = $1.28 money maker

I'll probably use my giftcard to get a few grocery items.  I am only $4.50 from cashing out on Ibotta again. 

• Like 1

I’ve been doing so well scaling things back and lining everything up for a financially comfortable 2020!  And then I checked next year’s health insurance plans.

Pay less per month and worry about having to use it, or pay more per month and worry about finances constantly.  I have no idea which way to go this year.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, that was fast!!!!  Good for you for getting classes so fast.  Awesome. 

I have had 6 total bookings so far, and I've completed 3 (well, one was a no show - payment for no work!). I've enjoyed the 2 classes I've had so far. I'm kind of considering it a paying hobby at this point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve been doing so well scaling things back and lining everything up for a financially comfortable 2020!  And then I checked next year’s health insurance plans.

Pay less per month and worry about having to use it, or pay more per month and worry about finances constantly.  I have no idea which way to go this year.  

Ugh I hate having to make the insurance choice.  We normally go with the pay more route to worry less if something were to happen.  Not sure if it ever really works out financially in our favor however. 

2 hours ago, beckyjo said:

I have had 6 total bookings so far, and I've completed 3 (well, one was a no show - payment for no work!). I've enjoyed the 2 classes I've had so far. I'm kind of considering it a paying hobby at this point. 

That is really awesome.  I hope more bookings keep coming in.   I really need to get on to doing that.  Every little bit helps. 

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Glad you got through that stressful patch.  It sounds like you are doing great. 

How is your pg going?   Did you end up finding an OBGYN?

Thank you for asking.  It is going pretty well.  I did find an OBGYN practice and the first dr I met with is perfect.  I'll be meeting another one at my next appointment but since I'm a planned csection I should be able to actually pick the dr I want to do the surgery, assuming I don't go into labor early.  I had a health scare a few weeks ago where they sent me to the hospital to be monitored for preeclampsia but other than high blood pressure there were no other issues.  I've had preeclampsia before so they are concerned about my blood pressure being so high so early,  They think I'll develop it again, so they got me on blood pressure meds and baby aspirin.  Plus I go to MFM every few weeks for growth checks. All and all I'm in good hands.

If dh gets this job he is interviewing for our new insurance will allow me to go back to my previous dr and the hospital I prefer to deliver out of.  That would be fantastic, but if not I'm happy with where I am.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Thank you for asking.  It is going pretty well.  I did find an OBGYN practice and the first dr I met with is perfect.  I'll be meeting another one at my next appointment but since I'm a planned csection I should be able to actually pick the dr I want to do the surgery, assuming I don't go into labor early.  I had a health scare a few weeks ago where they sent me to the hospital to be monitored for preeclampsia but other than high blood pressure there were no other issues.  I've had preeclampsia before so they are concerned about my blood pressure being so high so early,  They think I'll develop it again, so they got me on blood pressure meds and baby aspirin.  Plus I go to MFM every few weeks for growth checks. All and all I'm in good hands.

If dh gets this job he is interviewing for our new insurance will allow me to go back to my previous dr and the hospital I prefer to deliver out of.  That would be fantastic, but if not I'm happy with where I am.

That is great that you found an Dr.  How so scary about your high blood pressure.  I am happy they are being so proactive and keeping an eye on it.   It is so good to not have to worry about finding someone I am sure. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:32 AM, Michelle Conde said:

Does anyone know where to get the best price on big diapers?  My three-year-old foster daughter is really big for her age (wears larger pants than my five-year-old) and is still showing no interest or readiness for potty training at all.  She’s in size six diapers, but they’re getting pretty small on her.

online medical supply store... I no longer have up to date pricing or website info, as my daughter died several years ago (brain cancer), but once you move past toddler sizes you can move into pediatric diapers. They are designed for full bladders, and come in both pull-up and pull-tab styles. They are just primarily sold through medical supply stores because there is no market demand to sell them through big box stores.

They should be cheaper than just using pull-up overnights.

ugh! just had to spend $160 buying a new phone.  I knew that time was quickly approaching as mine has slowly been getting worse and worse.  Dropping calls, not receiving or sending texts randomly, being incredibly slow.  But I was hoping to get to Christmas so I could just turn it into a Christmas gift since I don't actually need anything else.  But it has been missing for 4 days.  It seems to have vanished from the house.  In reality it is likely dead in a pile of stuff somewhere.  But I've spent hours looking for it and I can't think of where else is could be.  So, I bit the bullet and got a new one

17 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

online medical supply store... I no longer have up to date pricing or website info, as my daughter died several years ago (brain cancer), but once you move past toddler sizes you can move into pediatric diapers. They are designed for full bladders, and come in both pull-up and pull-tab styles. They are just primarily sold through medical supply stores because there is no market demand to sell them through big box stores.

They should be cheaper than just using pull-up overnights.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Just checking in...
We did not go to the after-Halloween sales.  Dh and I sat down with the budget and decided against it.  I put away our decorations and things and realized ds can wear his same costume next year, so that's one less expense next year
Ds is attending a skills/athletic training class that is offered through his hockey program.  It's kind of a 'hey, here's this for 2 months.  If you want it to continue, here's the monthly price."  We didn't know that when he started, lol, and came to the conclusion that it is really doing him soooooo much good in terms of coordination and strength that we'd consider continuing.  I sat down this morning to look at what the monthly cost would be and it's quite doable.  I'll wait for the email from his league to let us know what the trial stop date is and see if they offer a discount but I think we'll be signing him up for the next few months.  Neither of us cares if ds plays hockey long term or if he's a great player.  We care that he likes it - and working on these non-hockey things has made him a stronger teammate and enjoying the game more.

Dh just got paid today.  I rebalanced the budget and found that I'm $2 off between our account and our Everydollar account, and I cannot think for the life of me where that two dollars has gone.  Every transaction is recorded and I double checked them.  I'm going to guess it happened sometime in the last month and I made an error somehow.

Electric and gas bills will be going up here shortly.  Tonight we get our first drop below freezing and all next week is not going to be pretty.  More crockpot cooking and more meal reheats will be happening.  This week already is a ground beef week:
-I cooked up 3lbs of beef and set aside half to make taco meat for Tuesday night.
-Wednesday I took some of the leftover beef and used it, along with a can of refried beans and leftover taco stuff to make nachos for dinner.
-Tonight (Thurs) I'm using the half I cooked and put in the fridge along with the rest of the taco meat to make enchiladas.  I'll cook up two pans, rice, and black beans, and serve with chips and pico de gallo.
-Tomorrow/Sat: ds has game after game and I volunteer most of the day.  I'll serve leftover enchiladas.  They reheat well in the microwave and everyone can eat when they have time.
-Sunday: new week, grocery shopping day. 

• Like 1

dh just told me that he will now be getting paid every other monday not friday, starting this week.  Which really isn't a problem except for this weekend because when you plan for a Friday payday and are quite strapped for cash it isn't easy adjusting to having to wait another two days.  Thankfully,  I should have enough money left in out misc fund to get us to Monday if we don't impulse buy this weekend.  So, that means we'll be staying home this weekend and playing board games!

Dh's interview is this afternoon.  Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.  I'm so anxious about this because it would be an amazing fit for what he's looking for in terms of career change.  But I don't want to get my hopes up.  I'll be crushed if he doesn't get the job but he'll power through.  He'll just have to ramp up his job application submissions about 5 fold.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

dh just told me that he will now be getting paid every other monday not friday, starting this week.  Which really isn't a problem except for this weekend because when you plan for a Friday payday and are quite strapped for cash it isn't easy adjusting to having to wait another two days.  Thankfully,  I should have enough money left in out misc fund to get us to Monday if we don't impulse buy this weekend.  So, that means we'll be staying home this weekend and playing board games!

Dh's interview is this afternoon.  Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.  I'm so anxious about this because it would be an amazing fit for what he's looking for in terms of career change.  But I don't want to get my hopes up.  I'll be crushed if he doesn't get the job but he'll power through.  He'll just have to ramp up his job application submissions about 5 fold.

Sending some good luck dust his way.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

$20 copay mommyoffive or just $20 total cash rate? The going rate for a non-complicated tooth pulling for a kid is $250 here. (Ds had to have four pulled last year.)

We are staying home and spending no money. More specifically, we are not going on a weekend trip (scheduled for this weekend) that we had planned prior to the great fall hemorrhage of money.  

All six of us have been sharing one shower for two weeks now as we manage repairs. We probably have four weeks to go.  

I'm mending some clothes and asking ds to get by for a few more weeks. He's grown several inches and his jeans and sweats are all about 4" short. I haven't been able to find anything at the thrift store but am hopeful about some Black Friday sales. 

Interview is over. Dh said it went well but gave no details since he had to rush back to work. So now we play the waiting game. In the meantime, he will continue to apply for other jobs and I will continue to help him tweak his resume and cover letter. 

We ended up having to spend a bit because of the interview. Dh had to pay for parking at the interview site and I had to pick up resume paper because I forgot my brother took my stash of it the last time he was going through the process. So, not a huge dent and certainly necessary.

• Like 4

How's everyone?

Our mortgage statement just came.  It went up $62 because taxes went up for next year.  Blargle.  We've been paying extra so we're a bit ahead, but this will cut into that.  I am refiguring the budget now to see if we can bump up our payment to the next $100 mark.

Found a good Christmas present for the youngest.  There's a show on Amazon Prime called James Day's Toy Stories, about this guy taking vintage toys and introducing them to modern kids, but with a twist.  In the first episode he focused on Airfix model aeroplanes and tanks, and then they all built a giant, life sized model Spitfire that looked like a plastic kit had been taken and magnified.  Well, dh used to build these sort of things.  I built a few.  And now youngest ds's interest is piqued.  I think a nice simple kit and some paints might be a good January activity for him to do with dad.

I haven't done hardly anything this week because schedules and cold, so there's definitely saving money there!  However, not wanting to do much has its downside: ds has overdue library books.  They were supposed to go back yesterday but the sudden drop in temperature kept me indoors as much as possible.  That's a $.02 fine x 3 books.  And no, I cannot renew online.  Only adult accounts can have book renewals for some reason.  So I'll drop them off today and at the end of the year, pay our fines.  They should be up to about $.10 and $1.12, respectively. đŸ˜„

• Like 1

Doing well here.  Dh and I ran our financials yesterday and we have made so much progress from a year ago.    I am just amazed at how much progress you can make in a year.  That just makes me want to really get crazy about things this next year too. 

I bought dd and I bigger and longer winter coats last night.   I swear you have so many different kinds of coats.   Ones for playing out in the snow, fleece, thin ones for a bit warmer days, and long huge ones for crazy cold days.  ARGH. 

I talked to a friend of mine and his wife had gotten a self heating coat and I was going to buy one, but last night he told me that it really isn't warm enough and she had to go buy another coat.  So another thing off my list I suppose.

• Like 1

we are still struggling to get ahead.  But at least we are not getting farther behind.  To add to the stress of all that we are still eagerly awaiting to hear back about a job dh applied for.  They called his references  on monday, which all 3 said the calls went really well.  I know it could be a while before we hear anything but I'm just so impatient. 

We did get rent from my parents for the first time this week, which is a big help.  They haven't been paying anything because the original agreement was they wouldn't until their house sold.  but since they decided they won't be selling so my brother can move in to prepare for his house to be sold they are paying as they can and as we need it.  Basically, we only need it because of Christmas coming up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

we are still struggling to get ahead.  But at least we are not getting farther behind.  To add to the stress of all that we are still eagerly awaiting to hear back about a job dh applied for.  They called his references  on monday, which all 3 said the calls went really well.  I know it could be a while before we hear anything but I'm just so impatient. 

We did get rent from my parents for the first time this week, which is a big help.  They haven't been paying anything because the original agreement was they wouldn't until their house sold.  but since they decided they won't be selling so my brother can move in to prepare for his house to be sold they are paying as they can and as we need it.  Basically, we only need it because of Christmas coming up.

Hoping you hear about the job soon.  Calling the references is a really good sign.   Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

We need a $4500 furnace and a $8000 roof this winter. We’ve been putting off the roof since job loss about this time 2 years ago, furnace is a surprise. We have good credit and can finance it, but since dh’s job post-unemployment pays so badly we are afraid we can’t make the payments.  

I need ideas! If we can’t make this work, I think we’re bumping up against last resort of giving up homeschool so I can get a job. I have a gifted ADHD 13 year old who is basically a full time job. The other two are neuro-typical. Working from home AND homeschooling is not an option. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, SamanthaCarter said:

We need a $4500 furnace and a $8000 roof this winter. We’ve been putting off the roof since job loss about this time 2 years ago, furnace is a surprise. We have good credit and can finance it, but since dh’s job post-unemployment pays so badly we are afraid we can’t make the payments.  

I need ideas! If we can’t make this work, I think we’re bumping up against last resort of giving up homeschool so I can get a job. I have a gifted ADHD 13 year old who is basically a full time job. The other two are neuro-typical. Working from home AND homeschooling is not an option. 

We came to a similar conclusion a year ago. At some point the root problem is a lack of income. Even extreme frugality can’t overcome that.  We enrolled the kids in school to see how feasible WAHM-ing was for me v. working in an office. For our particular dynamics, working in an office FT would only be possible if I hired additional household help.

Can you take on just enough bookkeeping that you can still afterschool in a key subject and have flexibility for sick days, teacher work days, etc.? 

Other options:

*a boutique tutoring business where you can command enough in a subject area to earn $20-60/hr (Barton, calculus, test prep individualized tutoring) that you do in the evenings 

* overnight childcare

* relocation & a new job—we did this four years ago because we were in the Midwest where the economy was dying and salaries were depressed due to the imbalance of available workers v. Available jobs

1 hour ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Hugs, that is so difficult. 

3 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Can you work while they sleep?   Accounting side work, delivering papers, VIPKID

Can you work opposite shift of your dh?  There is a lot of holiday hiring right now.  Waitress

Can your dh pick up a second job? 

Weekend work? 

Could you watch some kids afterschool?

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you work while they sleep?   Accounting side work, delivering papers, VIPKID

Can you work opposite shift of your dh?  There is a lot of holiday hiring right now.  Waitress

Can your dh pick up a second job? 

Weekend work? 

Could you watch some kids afterschool?

Dh has a side gig doing 3d modeling/designwork. He’s taking the hours I could work, and his jobs probably earn more. ATM, they are kind of drying up. I feel like I could work something in IF ONLY I could get more organized. I don’t know how. I guess I could stop sleeping. 

After school is a valid idea...

Found a few hundred dollars cleaning out my purse.  I never carry cash.  Don't know why I had it in there. 

Got an Ebates check.  Sorry, I am always going to call it that. 

I have some returns to do tonight of clothes that didn't work out. 

Dentist apt for me.  $0

Spent $50 at the grocery store     dog food, female supplies, bananas, soups, hand soap.

I filed a warranty claim on our broken ice maker (refrigerator). I always hesitate to buy extended warranties, but the Home Depot clerk urged me to because of claims he was seeing. Our fridge is four years old. Thankfully I bought a five year extended warranty. Repair guy is scheduled for day after tomorrow....we’ll see how this plays out.

Our gas bill was $7 cheaper this month than the same month last year. 

Dh and I went looking for new Christmas ornaments.  We're slowly moving back to glass after doing plastic for so long.  I found a few for this year and we'll pick up more over then next few years.  Since artificial pine makes me break out in hives I don't get to put them on the tree, but I do get to pick them out. đŸ™‚

I am working with the wonky groceries dh  bought.  Two chicken breasts in the freezer are getting cut up tonight to supplement a light creamy pasta dish.  Tomorrow morning I will go out and get more milk, but I'm going to try to deal with what we have this week and buy more responsibly next week.

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel like giving up on frugality this time of year? LOL

Good: I made ds and I hats for winter.  They're fully lined and warm, and even with buying new needles to replace what I broke, I came out above what I would have spent for two new hats.
Bad: dh and I have found a frugal flaw: he's eligible for a discount, but the time it would take to drive to store twice (once to order, once to pick up) would cut into his work hours.  In fact, the total of the discount would just about equal his after-tax dollars at his job for those hours.  This was for our vacation next year, but we have decided just to suck it up and deal.  Though it would have been a really nice discount.

In one week I start baking and candy making.  20 days of sweets - I just need a place to put it all before it leaves the house!

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Does anyone else feel like giving up on frugality this time of year? LOL

Good: I made ds and I hats for winter.  They're fully lined and warm, and even with buying new needles to replace what I broke, I came out above what I would have spent for two new hats.
Bad: dh and I have found a frugal flaw: he's eligible for a discount, but the time it would take to drive to store twice (once to order, once to pick up) would cut into his work hours.  In fact, the total of the discount would just about equal his after-tax dollars at his job for those hours.  This was for our vacation next year, but we have decided just to suck it up and deal.  Though it would have been a really nice discount.

In one week I start baking and candy making.  20 days of sweets - I just need a place to put it all before it leaves the house!

Yep.  It used to be just this time of year when the kids were little, but now it is every time of year now. 

Dh got a lower internet rate.  Still 6 bucks more than last year, but not the big hike they did. 

Having an overall bad $ month here:

DH was in a car accident; he's fine, but the car is totaled. The other person was at fault so it was all covered under their insurance. Unfortunately, our car was a 2001, so worth all of $2100. I don't know how we are supposed to replace what was a great car for $2100. We can't really do 1 car as DD needs to get to the north part of the city for community college 4 days a week, and DH needs to get to the south part of the city 5 days a week. Also, DH is sent sometime out to other work locations - no real schedule since he is a computer tech, so it's when there is a problem. DH is very, very stressed about the car situation, and because of that, he won't listen to any suggestions I have for a car. He is focused on getting a car NOW no matter how much it costs us. 

DD finally got a diagnosis on her heart problems. She needs quite a bit that is over the counter, so I've spent over $200 in OTC meds/supplies/etc. The problem isn't life-threatening so overall, we're happy. The doctor wants her to ride a stationary bike or swim for exercise; neither of which we can have her do without spending $. Fortunately for her (and not for my wallet), she can do Tae Kwon Do again, although the doctor isn't thrilled with it as an exercise choice, but it is allowed.

The orthodontist uncovered a large cavity in DD's tooth when they straightened it, so that will need to be fixed. We already owe the dentist over $700 which is on a payment plan, so I'm feeling defeated there.

I only taught 5 VIPKid classes this month, which I guess every little bit helps, but $45 isn't going to go far. I need to work on marketing (redo my video, because I did it the week FIL died just to get the contract signed), but with DD's medical and the car accident and trying to help MIL navigate everything after FIL's death last month, I haven't gotten up the energy or found the time. It feels like just one more thing on my to-do list. The other problem with VIPKid is our laptops are all ancient, and the app doesn't play nice with our old equipment. I'm sure my classes look pretty bad since I have to teach from the "old classroom" all the time, but it is what it is. I don't know when or if we'll be able to replace a laptop.

Oldest went to the doctor, and she changed/added meds, so more prescriptions. Also, ordered an ultrasound. I also have an ultrasound order for a baseline. All of which is more medical money out the door. Oldest's has been done/mine has not yet. 

Somehow, I need to figure out Christmas presents, finding both time and money to shop. DD's are already shopping (DH has been taking them, and I think? he's paying since my kids don't really have $). I don't know what $ he is spending, since I haven't seen anything in the account, so I'm afraid he's using a credit card. I don't know how to address that since I am very happy they are finally getting into the giving spirit. 

On the plus side: 

My mom invited us to FL for Christmas. She is paying for our drive/flights (I will be driving with younger 2 kids and my MIL/DH & oldest will fly for a shorter time). I don't know what that will do to my VIPKId bookings (although I really only have 1 regular student thus far, so maybe it won't affect much of anything?). There's really no where in a small house with 8 people to teach except maybe by the pool, but that might be too loud. 

Overall, I think it just comes down to the fact that we need to be pulling in more $. I just don't know how I am going to fit in a job around MIL, DDs' schedules and DDs' medical appointments, etc. DH's job isn't allowing more than a couple of hours of overtime, and recently with the medical unknowns and taking a morning off for dealing with the insurance company for the car, he's not even getting that. I'm feeling overwhelmed and heartsick right now. 

Edited by beckyjo

Sending you a hug Beckyjo.  That is just a lot all at once.  

Can you kids do homemade presents for each other?  That is what all my kids do for each other for Christmas and birthdays.  They love it.  I love seeing their creativity.   

Edited by mommyoffive

36 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending you a hug Beckyjo.  That is just a lot all at once.  

Can you kids do homemade presents for each other?  That is what all my kids do for each other for Christmas and birthdays.  They love it.  I love seeing their creativity.   

Thanks! I appreciate the hugs; I feel like 2018 and 2019 have just beaten us down financially and emotionally. I am ready for a change!

The kids have done some homemade presents. My oldest is a fantastic knitter, and she is only knitting gifts, no purchasing. She knits during her college lectures a lot of the time. My middle made my youngest a homemade Trouble game using things around the house, but I don't know what all else has been purchased. 

For me, I thought about making my mom some freezer meals while I was staying at her house. I could make muffin tin meatloaves and some double baked potatoes. Maybe some breaded chicken. Since my brother and I will handle all of the cooking while we're down there, I could just add a little more time in the kitchen. 

No ideas yet for my brother (and his birthday is Christmas day as well) or my MIL. DH and I do not exchange gifts usually. 

My younger kids want pretty easy things, lots of Toy Story 4 and Avengers stuff, and middle wants some makeup. We should get middle a cute water bottle as she needs to drink about 100 oz of water a day (she's currently using FIL's water cups from his hospital stays - by a 14 yo girl's standards, they are ugly). My oldest is notoriously impossible to shop for, so I thought maybe a selection of small gift cards (Starbucks, Subway, Papa Johns are all on her campus with an Amazon or B&N card to round it out). I think I might skip stockings this year if the kids will agree to that (they're 12, 14, and 17); I always find those expensive to fill. 

• Like 1