Menu

Feeling like we were being pranked

chocolate-chip chooky

Have you ever had such a weird experience that you feel like you're being pranked?

My daughter had an SAT Subject Test this morning. We arrived a half-hour early and there was no one there. NO ONE. Not a human in sight. So, we had a mild panic that we'd got the date and/or venue wrong. We both checked the admission ticket and convinced ourselves we were in the right place at the right time.

After a little while, another car came in and we breathed a sigh of relief. But then the guy that got out of the car was carrying flippers. 

A bit later, and creeping scarily towards door opening time, another person entered the area where we were waiting. It was an old man, bald with a long white beard, and he walked through playing a large recorder (quite well too, I might add).

At this point, my daughter was getting a bit panicky and I was getting a bit giggly. 

It was like we were on a hidden camera show. The situation was RIDICULOUS and HILARIOUS (in hindsight).

The boring part of the story is that my daughter was the only registered test taker at that test centre today. We found her invigilator (he was at a desk at the back of a room) and she sat her test. Just her. No flippers or recorders involved.

We have no idea why the flipper-carrying guy or the recorder-playing guy were walking through an otherwise deserted tiny school in the quiet rural area.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 4
  • Haha 38
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh man that is SO WEIRD 😂

Add it to the annals of things you can’t make up, right?

For suresies! 

We were picturing the production crew of a hidden camera show, brainstorming how to prank this poor test taker.

"Okay, we have a 13yr old girl coming for an exam. She'll expect to see plenty of others waiting outside. She doesn't know that she's the only one testing today. So, guys, what are your ideas?"

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Have you ever had such a weird experience that you feel like you're being pranked?

My daughter had an SAT Subject Test this morning. We arrived a half-hour early and there was no one there. NO ONE. Not a human in sight. So, we had a mild panic that we'd got the date and/or venue wrong. We both checked the admission ticket and convinced ourselves we were in the right place at the right time.

After a little while, another car came in and we breathed a sigh of relief. But then the guy that got out of the car was carrying flippers. 

A bit later, and creeping scarily towards door opening time, another person entered the area where we were waiting. It was an old man, bald with a long white beard, and he walked through playing a large recorder (quite well too, I might add).

At this point, my daughter was getting a bit panicky and I was getting a bit giggly. 

It was like we were on a hidden camera show. The situation was RIDICULOUS and HILARIOUS (in hindsight).

The boring part of the story is that my daughter was the only registered test taker at that test centre today. We found her invigilator (he was at a desk at the back of a room) and she sat her test. Just her. No flippers or recorders involved.

We have no idea why the flipper-carrying guy or the recorder-playing guy were walking through an otherwise deserted tiny school in the quiet rural area.

I’m just saying you and I have completely different personalities. Because I’d totally have told my kids they are on their own finding the test guy because I need to follow flipper man and the piper.  My kids would have known they’d lost me the second flipper guy showed up.  Cannot believe you didn’t stop him and ask what was going on?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m just saying you and I have completely different personalities. Because I’d totally have told my kids they are on their own finding the test guy because I need to follow flipper man and the piper.  My kids would have known they’d lost me the second flipper guy showed up.  Cannot believe you didn’t stop him and ask what was going on?!

You know, I did consider getting my chicken suit and pan flute out of the boot of my car and joining the Parade of Oddities.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

20 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I spend way too much time with performers.  I was reading your story and waiting for the weird part.  My radar must be way off.  I would just assume there was some community rehearsal space in the building and maybe a scuba certification class or something.  Isn't there a flipper dance in Mama Mia?  🤣

22 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I spend way too much time with performers.  I was reading your story and waiting for the weird part.  My radar must be way off.  I would just assume there was some community rehearsal space in the building and maybe a scuba certification class or something.  Isn't there a flipper dance in Mama Mia?  🤣

In a different setting I would have absolutely thought that this was a possible explanation, but this was a teeny tiny deserted school, not a big campus with other things going on.  

Oh wow, it would have been super awesome to have a whole cast of flippered performers waddling through 😄