Menu

(AOPS) 16 week Algebra A: Is it equal to one credit?

I started a thread about this topic many moons ago, but I still have questions about how to record classes taken at AOPS on a homeschool High School transcript.   For the record, my son will probably have way more credits than he needs to graduate.  So I guess my questions have more to do with how to name and list things on his transcript.   (I am very much a noob!)

Background:   My 7th grade son is currently taking the AOPS Intro to Algebra A.   The class is only a 16 week class, however, the course description says "Our Algebra sequence will likely not match up exactly with your school's. Most students who have completed a Prealgebra course are ready for this course. This course covers much of the algebra of a typical honors Algebra 1 course, some of the content of an honors Algebra 2 course, and some additional material not taught in most standard curricula. Visit our Recommendations page for help in choosing the right class.   He is also taking an AOPS Mathcounts prep class in addition to this.  (I will not list that on the transcript most likely.)

--I am debating what I should call this course on the transcript:   Honors Algebra I?  Or Introduction to Algebra A?  (Same as online course title?)  (And what exactly does an "honors" level designation mean on the transcript? )

--How many credits would I award for this course?   It is only 16 weeks long.   However, I would say that my son has to spend an average of 12 hours per week on math plus the 1.5 hour instruction time.   So after 16 weeks, that is about 216 hours worth of work.    So could I award a full credit in math for this 16 week course?  Or will it look like I am inflating his credits?   

He will probably take the Intro to Number Theory and Intro to Probability courses this year too.   I am not sure if that changes any of the answers I will get to my questions.