Menu

CTY programs - thoughts?

We just found out DS 12 (almost 13) qualified for CTY online and Summer programs so I'm starting to look into what we should take advantage of.

Holy Heck I was not aware of how high the price tag is for these!

Anyways, I'm wondering if they are worth the cost. My main objective is for to be around "kids like him," so I would really love for him to do a summer program. He has a lot of food allergies so I don't know if it's even possible but I'm going to look into it. I'm thinking either I or my husband would get an Air BnB close to the program and DS would be a commuter. (Will this cut way back on time to get to know other kids?)

If you have done either the family programs or the intensive summer program, have your AL's made friends? 

I'd love to hear any feedback! 

We have not done any CTY camps, but my son (who is most likely gifted, but never formally tested other than through the OLSat at school) has benefited the most from the non-academic film camp he did last summer.  It was pretty intense and they worked very hard.  And it was a fraction of the cost -- around $450 per week.  It was done through a major university -- I did not do any of the smaller local ones that seemed like they were more basic offerings.  I decided to focus more on his non-academic interests, as he really needed a break from academics, and I didn't really care what he worked on as long as the kids around him were equally invested.  

Editing to add -- he also isn't willing to go away from home yet.  Some anxiety, and residential programs for two weeks would have been too much at this point. But really the cost is probably the biggest detraction for us.  

Edited by SanDiegoMom in VA

My 9th grader started CTY Summer at the end of 3rd grade. He has taken 5 classes.   We afterschool very accelerated math, and summer science at CTY.  Most of the science classes that he took  were middle school level.  He has not taken a CTY summer H.S. class.   Overall, the summer program put him far ahead through middle school, and even his freshman year.  it is a fun environment.  Food is from the college dining hall(s), so probably most diet requirements can be met.  The Franklin & Marshall/Lancaster campus seem most popular for teenagers.  The Lancaster program has a lots of traditions and some silliness.  But two years  ago, he did both Lancaster and CTD Chicago.  He thought CTD was so much better for teens.  He went back to CTD this past summer, but did not want to go back to CTY.   A lot of off campus excursions are  included in the CTD price.  CTY is all on campus. Since your son will be 13 if he goes, I suggest you look at the h.s honors classes.  Honor classes are full year classes compressed into three weeks. BTW, if you qualified CTY with the PSAT or SAT, his score probably meets eligibility for CTD and Duke TIP..

ETA.  Forgot to add that a bit part of the experience is living on campus.  Your son will miss all the bonding and team building experience that happens at night and weekends, if he commutes  to any residential summer program. My kid is in contact with friends around the world.

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, gstharr said:

My 9th grader started CTY Summer at the end of 3rd grade. He has taken 5 classes.   We afterschool very accelerated math, and summer science at CTY.  Most of the science classes that he took  were middle school level.  He has not taken a CTY summer H.S. class.   Overall, the summer program put him far ahead through middle school, and even his freshman year.  it is a fun environment.  Food is from the college dining hall(s), so probably most diet requirements can be met.  The Franklin & Marshall/Lancaster campus seem most popular for teenagers.  The Lancaster program has a lots of traditions and some silliness.  But two years  ago, he did both Lancaster and CTD Chicago.  He thought CTD was so much better for teens.  He went back to CTD this past summer, but did not want to go back to CTY.   A lot of off campus excursions are  included in the CTD price.  CTY is all on campus. Since your son will be 13 if he goes, I suggest you look at the h.s honors classes.  Honor classes are full year classes compressed into three weeks. BTW, if you qualified CTY with the PSAT or SAT, his score probably meets eligibility for CTD and Duke TIP..

ETA.  Forgot to add that a bit part of the experience is living on campus.  Your son will miss all the bonding and team building experience that happens at night and weekends, if he commutes  to any residential summer program. My kid is in contact with friends around the world.

thank you! This was the kind of information I was looking for. When you say “Chicago CTD” is that the Northwestern program?

i was worried about being a commuter, I will have to figure out how to make a residency work for him.

thank you everyone for your replies! 

Yes. Northwestern CTD. Two summers ago he took vex robotics.  Last summer he took Honors Biology.  the class was his first high school level class.  It  was a jolt for my kid who  cruised through a very tough--reputation wise-- middle school.   The biology teacher taught  science at a top Chicago private school.  She was also an AP exam reader.  The assigned text was a college textbook.  It took a week, for him  to adjust to the rigor.  By the second half of the class he was falling asleep at his desk around 1:00a.m, and sleeping through the night at his desk.  According to him, most of the kids that did well in the class were also sleeping at their desks, and passing on the weekend excursions.   Ended up being a badge of honor.   Even the T.As were saying that  this class was more advanced than even  CTD  AP biology.  but he has grown from it.  He is a so much more focused student back at regular school.  Just giving you the heads up about this particular class, because the class description states that it is an intro class to prepare for AP Biology. Next summer, we are considering the CTD 5 week AP Chemistry class. 

Also, if you are qualified for CTD with PSAT or SAT scores,  when the enrollment period opens  around January 1, 2020,  you by-pass "talent search", and go directly to course enrollment.  The enrollment application will ask you to attach qualifying scores.  The popular classes and programs fill up very  fast. 

• Like 1