Menu

Website for determining political climate of specific campuses?

klmama

Is there a website that evaluates campuses for their political climate?  I'm interested in knowing the political makeup of the faculty and student body, how free speech is promoted or restricted (both officially and unofficially), and how those in the political minority are treated.  Any ideas where I can find all that? 

• Like 1

Niche has that info for each college, but it's based on student perceptions, not any actual fact or affiliation that students are registered with.

However, I have found it seems helpful and if not accurate, at least on point with the colleges locally, colleges we have family who are profs at, and college my son now attends (which we largely sent him to out of state to get away from the political climate here for a while.) 

You kind of have to dig to find it, it's not always on the front page of Niche

I am not smart enough to use The Fire website as I found two university campuses that I am familiar with got the same yellow light rating. I know one is more open to a variety of opinions & one is more likely to be hostile to certain positions to the point of intimidating campus groups who set up tables to recruit members or disinviting speakers. I did not trust my understanding of that website because of that.

27 minutes ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Maybe I’m not understanding this,lol. For instance, they’re giving schools a red light, meaning a direct accusation of limiting fee speech if a school policy forbids discrimination and harassment of another student based on being gay, transgender, black, etc. 

Really? I must be missing something.

We just look at what the red/yellow lights are for and determine whether we think it is a real issue or not.

12 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I am not smart enough to use The Fire website as I found two university campuses that I am familiar with got the same yellow light rating. I know one is more open to a variety of opinions & one is more likely to be hostile to certain positions to the point of intimidating campus groups who set up tables to recruit members or disinviting speakers. I did not trust my understanding of that website because of that.

I think the ratings are based on specific university policies only (I could be wrong), so the actual climate on campus may vary.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I agree. It’s a nice idea, but the way it’s been implemented makes a lot less helpful than it could be. They seem to be using the student handbook and the wording in it rather than what the actual climate is like on the campus. We visited a pretty liberal school today where there are lots of complaints online from students about conservative thought not being supported. It has a yellow rating. The school my ds is at also has a yellow rating but is very supportive of both conservative and liberal views, imo. 

There is no perfect resource, but the student newspapers speak volumes, IMO. Also, student perceptions on niche reviews, along as they are taken with a grain of salt, have been helpful.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

There is no perfect resource, but the student newspapers speak volumes, IMO. 

Thanks, we'll take a look at these once we narrow the choices down a bit.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, FuzzyCatz said:

This has some interesting info though I suspect based on a smallish data set.  

https://www.myplan.com/education/colleges/college_rankings_14.php?sort=3

Yes.  I looked at what it said about my older dc's college, and there were only a handful of respondents.  Based on what dc has said, I think the political affiliation assessment was fairly accurate, though, which encourages me that this site might be useful.  Thanks for sharing.

Regardless of political view, I don’t especially want my kids attending an institution that refuses to ban harassment. That website is, I guess, pro-sending your kids off to become the harassers? Actual harassment is not legally protected as free speech.

I suspect most outside attempts to categorize campuses politically are going to end up skewed. You just have to ask and visit.

• Like 3

On 11/2/2019 at 5:43 PM, Farrar said:

Regardless of political view, I don’t especially want my kids attending an institution that refuses to ban harassment. That website is, I guess, pro-sending your kids off to become the harassers? Actual harassment is not legally protected as free speech.

I suspect most outside attempts to categorize campuses politically are going to end up skewed. You just have to ask and visit.

No. They are not pro-sending your kids off to become harassers. That is not the intent behind what they are doing at all.

• Like 3

I looked up my dd's university.   From My Plan:  "....is also home to one of the most diverse student populations in the whole of the United States of America with more than 100 nations being represented in its student body. "

It receives a yellow rating from Fire and it sure seems to be because they have policies against discrimination and harassment.    I didn't see any lawsuits or specific incidents mentioned.

Students are encouraged to report all types of bias-related incidents precipitated by intolerant behaviors

[…]

A bias incident is conduct, speech or expression that is motivated by bias or prejudice but doesn’t involve a criminal act. Bias incidents may, however, violate campus codes or policies.

Free Speech does not include language that is aimed at achieving results of violence or criminal acts and is likely to achieve it.

As an ever-growing pluralistic society and in a world whose boundaries are made increasingly flexible by technology and global economics, it is fundamental to our institutional mission to create a community without bias and to oppose vigorously any form of racism, religious intolerance, sexism, ageism, homophobia, harassment and discrimination against those with disabling conditions. It is critical that each and every member of this community understand that xxx State University eschews hate of any kind and will not tolerate behavior that violates the civil and statutory rights of any individual or group. Within this framework, each of us can feel free to express ourselves in ways that promote openness within a pluralistic and multicultural society.

To ensure that we understand our responsibility to contribute to a community that embraces these values and that we are accountable for our behavior in this regard, all persons in positions of responsibility and authority will be held strictly accountable for promoting the highest degree of fairness and equity by both personally exemplifying these principles and holding all those around them accountable as well.

It is essential that each member of the campus community incorporate these values into daily life at xxx State University so that we may all work and learn together in a spirit of appreciation for the differences among us and with mutual respect and dignity.

Disruptive conduct includes, but is not limited to: … threatening or obscene language or behavior in public places …

xxx State University recognizes its responsibility to foster an atmosphere of respect, understanding and good will among individuals and groups, with special sensitivity to those most likely to be subjected to disrespect, abuse and misunderstanding because of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation. The goal is to create an unbiased community where all individuals feel free to express themselves in ways that are appropriate in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural society and to pursue their work and study in an atmosphere which values individuality and diversity.

Signs, which promote the consumption of alcohol, the use of controlled dangerous substances, or anything, viewed as obscene and inappropriate behavior may not be displayed in any public area (e.g., windows, students room windows, doors, common areas, etc.).

• Like 2

On 11/4/2019 at 9:04 AM, Where's Toto? said:

I looked up my dd's university.   From My Plan:  "....is also home to one of the most diverse student populations in the whole of the United States of America with more than 100 nations being represented in its student body. "

It receives a yellow rating from Fire and it sure seems to be because they have policies against discrimination and harassment.    I didn't see any lawsuits or specific incidents mentioned.

Students are encouraged to report all types of bias-related incidents precipitated by intolerant behaviors

[…]

A bias incident is conduct, speech or expression that is motivated by bias or prejudice but doesn’t involve a criminal act. Bias incidents may, however, violate campus codes or policies.

Free Speech does not include language that is aimed at achieving results of violence or criminal acts and is likely to achieve it.

As an ever-growing pluralistic society and in a world whose boundaries are made increasingly flexible by technology and global economics, it is fundamental to our institutional mission to create a community without bias and to oppose vigorously any form of racism, religious intolerance, sexism, ageism, homophobia, harassment and discrimination against those with disabling conditions. It is critical that each and every member of this community understand that xxx State University eschews hate of any kind and will not tolerate behavior that violates the civil and statutory rights of any individual or group. Within this framework, each of us can feel free to express ourselves in ways that promote openness within a pluralistic and multicultural society.

To ensure that we understand our responsibility to contribute to a community that embraces these values and that we are accountable for our behavior in this regard, all persons in positions of responsibility and authority will be held strictly accountable for promoting the highest degree of fairness and equity by both personally exemplifying these principles and holding all those around them accountable as well.

It is essential that each member of the campus community incorporate these values into daily life at xxx State University so that we may all work and learn together in a spirit of appreciation for the differences among us and with mutual respect and dignity.

Disruptive conduct includes, but is not limited to: … threatening or obscene language or behavior in public places …

xxx State University recognizes its responsibility to foster an atmosphere of respect, understanding and good will among individuals and groups, with special sensitivity to those most likely to be subjected to disrespect, abuse and misunderstanding because of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, race, religion, and sexual orientation. The goal is to create an unbiased community where all individuals feel free to express themselves in ways that are appropriate in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural society and to pursue their work and study in an atmosphere which values individuality and diversity.

Signs, which promote the consumption of alcohol, the use of controlled dangerous substances, or anything, viewed as obscene and inappropriate behavior may not be displayed in any public area (e.g., windows, students room windows, doors, common areas, etc.).

Well, my guess is that the problem may stem from a very wide definition of discrimination and harassment. So, an example I can think of off the top of my head is that someone might say a trans woman should not be able to participate in women’s sports. Are they now guilty of discrimination? Or harassment because that hurts someone’s feelings?

Free speech does not give you the right to harass someone, but people should not be afraid to say what they think. That is a basic constitutional protection. So, one group should not be able to come in and decide for us all because as soon as the other viewpoint is expressed, it is shut down as “harassment” or “discrimination”. Everyone should be given a chance to speak and no one should be afraid to discuss their viewpoint.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, Farrar said:

The FIRE was founded and is run by actual lawyers who actually know what is and is not free speech. Incidentally, they are also politically liberal (very, very.) They have an incredibly successful record of challenging unconstitutional policies. Their system evaluates policies, however, not politics,  so I don't know that it will help the OP.

• 1 year later...