Menu

Halloween weather

DawnM

It’s going to be unseasonably cold. The coldest weather on record since something like 1925. Plus, it’ll be raining. Again. We have high school football game too. Two of last three years it has rained. Not fun. Year before last, our team was in World Series on Halloween AND raining. Super fun trick treating that night. Grrrrr. At least Series will be over before Halloween this year. 

ETA. It’s Texas though, which means the weather forecast AND the actual weather will change 10 times in the next 24 hours. 😉. Here’s hoping for a warmer, dryer night. 

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

3-6 inches of snow.

20 degrees below normal.    I saw 20 degrees for a high for the next week.  WAY TO COLD for November.    😞

We’re the opposite.  Today was 88.  Way too HOT for almost November.  We’ve only had a day or two of ‘fall’ so far this season.  🙁. Missing some cooler weather. Somewhere must have a happy medium 😃

• Like 1

We are expecting heavy rain, wind, and thunder during ToT.

The local Facebook pages are full of threads with parents with young children hoping ToT will be postponed and older people saying there’s no such thing as a rain date for ToT since they had to ToT in all sorts of weather and they turned out fine. 

Some municipalities are postponing while others are not.  Will be interesting to see what actually happens!

• Like 1

I have a picture of my daughter at about 6 years old, dressed as the cutest little kitty for Halloween and in tears because she had to put her big coat over her costume because it was snowing! So sad!!! Cold and snowy is the usual for Halloween in SD.  (Not San Diego, South Dakota)

But we moved this summer to the desert where the weather is lovely this week! Mid 50’s. No snow! But my little trick or treaters are all grown up. Even Ds16 isn’t planning to dress up, though he has a Bob Ross costume ready to go, he is going to a football game and no costumes are allowed. Boo!

• Like 2

Looks like rain.

I've told this story to my kids so many times. The best, and most memorable Halloween of my childhood was the one when I was four and it was so rainy we couldn't even go out, so instead my father stood behind the swinging door to the kitchen and pretended to be lots of different people every time we knocked, and gave us the candy that he would've given out.

Isn't that strange? As a kid, I would absolutely not have pegged "Halloween, but you don't go trick-or-treating, it's too rainy" as the best one, but there it is.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, school17777 said:

We are expecting heavy rain, wind, and thunder during ToT.

The local Facebook pages are full of threads with parents with young children hoping ToT will be postponed and older people saying there’s no such thing as a rain date for ToT since they had to ToT in all sorts of weather and they turned out fine. 

Some municipalities are postponing while others are not.  Will be interesting to see what actually happens!

Same here.  We have rain all day today.  Most nearby city govs have moved ToT to Saturday afternoon, 3-5.  

• Like 1

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything about cities postponing Halloween around here.  We are under a winter weather advisory and it is supposed to be 35 degrees and sleeting/snowing...in fact, some predictions are saying we could have three inches of accumulation by then.  It sounds miserable, and slippery, and like visibility and safety will be reduced.

Unfortunately, the forecast doesn't look much better tomorrow or over the weekend, so maybe it doesn't make sense to postpone.

We are taking our Trick or Treating inside.  The stores at the mall are handing out candy from 4 to 6pm.  And then there is a local church that has set up a "Trick or Treat trail" inside that we will visit.

• Like 1

It’s 67 and pouring now, supposed to fall to 40 by trick or treat time and into the upper 20’s overnight for our first freeze of the season. Couple that with 20mph winds gusting to 40, I’m trying to convince my kids to skip trick or treat tonight and go Saturday afternoon in a neighboring town. At least the rain is supposed to stop so we won’t be wet and cold if we go tonight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Looks like rain.

I've told this story to my kids so many times. The best, and most memorable Halloween of my childhood was the one when I was four and it was so rainy we couldn't even go out, so instead my father stood behind the swinging door to the kitchen and pretended to be lots of different people every time we knocked, and gave us the candy that he would've given out.

Isn't that strange? As a kid, I would absolutely not have pegged "Halloween, but you don't go trick-or-treating, it's too rainy" as the best one, but there it is.

Love this!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DawnM said:

What will the weather be like tomorrow in your neck of the woods?

We will very likely have the hottest Halloween on record. Those poor kids in their costumes will be dripping with sweat. It's not uncommon for people to hand out bottles of cold water along with the candy and treats

Record heat possible on this Halloween but our first in a series of fronts arrives tomorrow! I'm tracking the cooler outlook, on Channel 9 now. Good Morning

EIMhW4qXsAAtaQP.jpg

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Sad 1

Currently 74, but low tonight is 36.  Rain all day until about 7 pm.  Neighborhood HOA facebook page is asking people about rescheduling neighborhood TorT for Saturday.  Which is stupid, because there is a home Clemson game that night and approximately half the neighborhood will be at the game.

Unfortunately, this means my steady diet of Recees peanut butter cups may continue on for a few more days, much to the dismay of my jeans.

• Haha 1

It is supposed to be clear skies and cold (around freezing).  It is unusual weather for here, usually we have rain or drizzle or some sort of wet precipitation and not near this cold out.  Usually we have to think about how to stay dry, not how to stay warm.

Dry, which is about the first time this week, but cold. My Nurse Joy costume will be worn over my pink winter coat, and DD has added a sweat shirt she can layer under to her Jessie from Team Rocket cosplay. Hoping at least some kids come out, because otherwise, we're way overstocked on treats. 

It was 80 degrees and breezy; fortunately, DS's costume this year was not hot. We wrapped up early because of lightning. Now it's raining; all we've had in the past half hour was one dripping little Pikachu with his dad. We're turning the porch light off soon.

I'm surprised some towns would "postpone" TOTing. We have some places to go indoors here, but no way would we expect people to to be available to do it any other time... or for the weather to be better. There's definitely an expectation of "you get what you get."

• Like 1

It rained here, but it was not raining during trick-or-treat, I don't think. 

It was pretty cold and very windy.  Invigorating.

My brilliant kids didn't plan well for the weather.  Well, one hopes they learned something from it.  😛

We squeaked in an hour of ToTing before the lightning began.  Then, about 5 minutes after we made it inside, heavy winds and rain and lightning.  Crazy. And after 30-40 minutes, it stopped completely. In fact, on the way home (we were at friends' house) the university students were out in full Halloween force doing their thing downtown.