Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Quill

Let’s Play a Game called “Sale Gamble”! 😄

I was at LL Bean online, looking at a winter coat I want to buy. It is hooded and packable; it packs down into it’s own little 1-foot pocket. I really want a coat like this! I bought one for dd to take to France and I can see how perfect it is. 

So, after I was at the site, no doubt thanks to cookies or something, LL Bean sent me by email a discount code for 25% off of $100+ purchase. Wow. That’s a nice deal if I use it for the coat. I just returned some no-go things back to Thred Up (including the stinky dress) and my refund from TU will almost match the cost of the coat. That’s my rationalization. Heh.

Also, though, IME, when companies send you a good deal code, rarely is their first offer the last or best one. I think if I sit on the coat, maybe even go a few times more and look at it but don’t buy it yet, maybe even stick it in my cart but don’t buy it yet, I have a hunch they will send me another code in a week or two and it will be a better deal. I am worried about waiting too long, though, because I have seen it happen that the desirable color or my size sells out long before we even get to real winter weather, so I’m not sure I want to gamble on lingering over the Checkout button. 

• Like 1

I’d put it in your cart, start the checkout process, but then close the page. When I do that, they companies know I almost bought something and I often get an email w a good offer. 

I wish I’d done that last week- we ordered an Orvis rug because we got free shipping and within minutes of placing the order I got an email for 15% off PLUS free shipping. Ugh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quill, I can't help but notice the irony of this post.😁

As for buying the coat.....if you want it, just buy it.  Ultimately, having the coat will make you happy whether you get a bigger discount on it or not.

LL Bean sends me discount codes often, and I don't recall getting any for more than 25% off. I would go for it!

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, Annie G said:

I’d put it in your cart, start the checkout process, but then close the page. When I do that, they companies know I almost bought something and I often get an email w a good offer. 

I wish I’d done that last week- we ordered an Orvis rug because we got free shipping and within minutes of placing the order I got an email for 15% off PLUS free shipping. Ugh. 

I have often gotten email from a merchant I just purchased from, offering a discount.  It's possible they would sent the email offering the bigger discount before you made the purchase, but they may not have. It's likely meant to be an incentive to buy something more. "Hey, you bought from us, you must like us, here's an incentive to buy more from us!"

I buy from one company that will send email with a code for a 10% discount for completing my order if I've left stuff in the car. But, it's not compatible with other offers. So, if I have a code for 20% off, I'm not going to get an additional 10% off of that.

I'd get the coat now and not wait for the super-special discount that may never come.  When I've tried that, I end up with no coat.  

• Like 3

YUp - 25% is usually as good as LLBean gets - and be careful because they often run out of sizes and colors

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Selkie said:

LL Bean sends me discount codes often, and I don't recall getting any for more than 25% off. I would go for it!

Yes, I agree.  Unlike other retailers that regularly have discounts of 40-50% off, LL Bean doesn't run deep sales all the time.  I think 8 or 9 years ago LL Bean had a 30% off coupon but I don't think I've seen one since--25% off is a good deal. 

• Like 3

Isn’t shipping free with LLBean? I’d not gamble with it, I think the better coats sell quickly there, certain sizes, etc. I’ve not seen better sales there than 25%, unless it’s right before/after Christmas clearance.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Quill, I can't help but notice the irony of this post.😁

As for buying the coat.....if you want it, just buy it.  Ultimately, having the coat will make you happy whether you get a bigger discount on it or not.

I know, right? 

I’m still a girl who loves a deal, even if I’m a girl who doesn’t want retailers to nag me! 😄

• Haha 2

Agreeing that you probably won't do much better than 25% off from L.L. Bean!

• Like 1

If I want something badly enough, I buy it after briefly shopping for a better price online.  It happens so rarely that I like something enough to buy it for myself.  I know I will probably use it until I die.

If it is a pricey item, I will check ebay to see if they have it for a better price.  Though sometimes ebay stuff is fake.

A coat is a needed item IMO (given I only have one presentable winter coat at a time, LOL).  Any decent winter coat is gonna cost a few bucks.  Might as well just buy it.  I don't understand the guilt some of us feel when we can actually afford to buy an item and it is actually a needed and practical item.  Realistically, the cost of a nice coat will be comparable to one month's heating bill in the snowy states.

Now if this is your 10th coat purchase this year, scratch the above.  😛

• Like 2

Also, I don't know as though you'd get THAT much more off by waiting... At best, if they send another coupon, it won't be for more than free shipping on top of the 25% off, or maybe go to 30% off. And that's only going to save you, what? Another $5-10?  If you need it, and it's perfect, and you have the money to get it, then the possibility of saving $5-10 isn't worth the gamble to me. YMMV. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

I lost a sale gamble this week!  It was a cute tunic sweater from Lou and Gray with great raving reviews.  It sold out by the end of the day. 

I'd say buy the coat.

• Like 1

If it were Lands End I'd tell you to wait.  But with Bean you shouldn't.  They rarely do sales and when they do they don't stock the item again until the next year.

ETA:  I waited too long on a certain summer dress with them this year, and regretted it.  Also, DH's favorite parka ever has been from them.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

I agree that it's highly unlikely you'll get a better offer from Bean.

And not to be a bummer, but FWIW -- I also got the 25% off email offer, and it might have been because I was poking around on their site Friday and (maybe) Saturday. But DS23 got a catalog in the mail today with the same offer, and I doubt he did anything to trigger it. So who knows? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

I would get the coat now. Life's too short. A picture would be nice!

I ordered it today! This is the coat.

• Like 5

LL Bean offers that deal every year in the fall. It’s not because cookies. 🙂 (I got one too and haven’t online shopped there in awhile).

I almost never use it but then inevitably buy something from them for Christmas right after it expires. Thanks for the reminder to think ahead! 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I ordered it today! This is the coat.

That looks terrific! How do you get the coupon? I would get this!

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

That looks terrific! How do you get the coupon? I would get this!

Edited by MEmama
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Thank you! I ordered my jacket! 😄 When it comes, I'll hand off to DH for wrapping up as a Christmas present.

Thank you Quill for posting about this, and thank you MEmama for the discount code! 🧥🎁🎉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Thank you! I ordered my jacket! 😄 When it comes, I'll hand off to DH for wrapping up as a Christmas present.

Thank you Quill for posting about this, and thank you MEmama for the discount code! 🧥🎁🎉

Yay! Merry Christmas! 😂🎄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got that jacket for oldest son last year (non hooded version) and he loved it.  Packing it away in the self store pocket was super quick and easy - a home run for the high schooler who refused to wear and lug around a heavy coat and his mom who refused to let him stand around freezing at the bus stop 🙂 25% off is about as good as it gets for LL Bean.  Glad you got it and hope you love it!

• Thanks 1

Get it! Your size might be gone soon. I bought one of my sons a packable (North Face) jacket for Christmas last year. So extremely warm to be so lightweight and so perfect for travel. They are so nice. Treat yourself.

ETA: Oh, just saw you have already ordered it! What a nice jacket. Love the color.

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Thanks 1