Menu

Prayer request for my grandson - UPDATED

Teresa in MO

My 11 month old grandson is having a very extensive spinal surgery on Friday.  He was born with a spinal tether.   Our hope was that is was not very deep and would require just a simple surgery.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  It is wrapped around the spinal cord.  They will have to remove 2 vertebra to get to it.  They expect the surgery to last most of the day.  After that he will be sedated for 2-3 days, as he has to remain flat on his back.  Please pray for a successful surgery and for my daughter and son-in-law for peace during the surgery.  My son-in-law is fighting a head cold right now, so my daughter and grandson are here at my house to avoid getting the cold and the surgery being cancelled. On top of everything, my lower back went out yesterday and I am heading to the chiropractor today.  I desperately need a speedy recovery!

He was also born with Arthrogryposis.  He has club feet, club hands, and is unable to bend his elbows.  He wears splints on his feet and splints on his wrists at night.  This is just the beginning of surgeries for him this year.  They will travel to Philadelphia (from St. Louis) multiple times early next year for surgeries on his elbows.  The recoveries on those surgeries are very painful.  Despite all his health issues, he is the sweetest, happiest little boy.

It is times like these that I miss my husband the most.  He would have been our rock.

Edited by Teresa in MO
  • Like 1
  • Sad 23

I'll be thinking of your grandson and family. I'm also so very sorry you are missing your husband. It just isn't fair to have such trying times for one family. May you have some moments of peace and lean on each other in the absence of you rock.

• Like 1

Just be aware that the emotional toll on you and your daughter and son in law is quite a bit.  More than you would expect.  I emotionally fell apart about a year after my son was out of the woods with his major surgeries.  Adrenaline really keeps you going for a while and then your body has got to recover.

Praying for you and him and your family. I hate that these things happen to children, but maybe find some hope and peace in the fact that children heal SO much faster than us adults - it is almost miraculous. also praying for his doctors, for wisdom and compassion. 

• Like 1

UPDATE - My grandson's surgery went very well.  Surgeon was very pleased.  Last night and this morning, despite sedation, they could not get his pain under control.  It was heartbreaking to watch him in so much pain and watching my daughter trying to comfort him with tears running down her face.  So they took him off sedation and added Ibuprofen and Tylenol to the pain meds he was getting through the IV.  This allowed him to sleep and he was giving me small smiles when he woke up.  He cannot understand why no one will hold him.  Hopefully, if all goes well that will be Monday morning.  Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.

• Like 25
  • Sad 9