Menu

If you could pick any big family vehicle, what would it be?

Shellydon

10 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Nissan NV hands down. That was my dream car back when I needed a big family van.

7 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

My Nissan NV, it’s been fantastic.  And it fits a gazillion people and the wheelchair really well, or a bunch of bikes and Costco run.

Pretty good gas mileage and handling too, even in snow. If I was going for another smaller can I’d do a minivan before another Suburban.  But my Nissan has been wonderful.  If those were completely unavailable I’d do a Ford Tranait but I don’t like the engine layout of appearance as much as the full hood of the NV.

Some friends have one of these and it has been a mechanical nightmare.  It is constantly breaking down and being towed.  They must have a lemon.

It doesn't have enough cargo space for us we need to be able to load big things in the back unless we take out several rows of seats.

How many regular passengers do you need to carry on a regular basis? How much cargo do you move on a regular basis?  How much money do you want to pay for gas? 

We need room for 6 people, and we like the Toyota Sienna. We've also had the Honda Odyssey. Both have plenty of cargo space with the 6 passengers and tons of space without passengers. I love the feel of driving a van that isn't truck-like. It's not too high off the ground, so getting in and out is nice.

The vans are better on gas and cheaper than SUVs. So they work perfectly for us. 

They are both capable of hauling a pretty heavy load if you get a trailer hitch. We have both a utility trailer and a tent trailer, and the vans do a great job hauling these. 

Edited by wintermom

I have a Ford Transit--full size, not the mini van version. I like the flexible seat configuration and love the high roof--ours is the mid height and I can stand up straight in it (I'm 5'7").

It's too high for some parking garages though if that matters to you. The extended version has a longer wheel base than I prefer, but the ten passenger version is fine.

54 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Ah, see, I kind of want a Suburban, lol. But it’s unlikely to make sense for us in just a few more years.

I’ve been stalking the Highlander hybrid lately, but that’s also with dropping down to 2 full-time kids in the future, and some tag-a-longs here and there.

if you get the 2nd row bench, you can treat it like a five person car, and have ok/decent cargo space (I'm coming from a van . . . . I will miss my cargo space, and 6 comfortable adults).  I consider the highlander comfortable for four, but you can put a person in the 2nd row OK.  the 3rd row . . . not friendly for anyone big enough to not need a car seat.

34 minutes ago, wintermom said:

How many regular passengers do you need to carry on a regular basis? How much cargo do you move on a regular basis?  How much money do you want to pay for gas? 

We need room for 6 people, and we like the Toyota Sienna. We've also had the Honda Odyssey. Both have plenty of cargo space with the 6 passengers and tons of space without passengers. I love the feel of driving a van that isn't truck-like. It's not too high off the ground, so getting in and out is nice.

The vans are better on gas and cheaper than SUVs. So they work perfectly for us. 

They are both capable of hauling a pretty heavy load if you get a trailer hitch. We have both a utility trailer and a tent trailer, and the vans do a great job hauling these. 

vans will always have more capacity than an suv (unless you're looking at big full-size), for passengers and cargo.   their towing capacity will not be as good as a SUV - so decide which you want.

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

We haul 6 daily, 8 several times a week. We completely fill the back of the Expedition with stuff most days and use it to haul heavy things like metal targets. We also pull a 5000lb trailer with a special tow package. 

7 hours ago, Shellydon said:

We haul 6 daily, 8 several times a week. We completely fill the back of the Expedition with stuff most days and use it to haul heavy things like metal targets. We also pull a 5000lb trailer with a special tow package. 

The 8-seater Toyotas and Hondas are really nice, and still have cargo space. Their towing capacity isn't that high, certainly not with a van full of people.  Do you actually haul the heavy trailer and a vehicle full of people all at the same time that often?  Do you have a second vehicle in the mix?

I appreciate having a vehicle big enough for the NEED, but I hate driving something too big all the time for the sake of a once a year event. We have only ever had one vehicle for the last 20 years. More and more often it's only got 2 - 3 people in it as the dc are older and doing their own things. I really wish I could leave the back end of the van at home and just have a mini when it's only me in the vehicle. 

Edited by wintermom

11 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Subaru now makes a 7-8 passenger vehicle

Yes, the Ascent, but sadly they are not generally available used and in my price range! 

I miss the seat that was higher off the floor of the vehicle, the room for gear when we travel or camp, the ability to take my kids' friends and the visual range. 

My Forester gets better gas milage, is more fun to drive and holds the road better (love the AWD), but it is not nearly as comfortable as my Odyssey and has significant blind spots, and is just too small for me. But it's reliable and paid for, so I should not complain. It is a 2011 with only 70K miles on it. It doesn't have bluetooth, but even a usb connection is a plus after my non-connectable, ancient Odyssey. 

20 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

My Nissan NV, it’s been fantastic.  And it fits a gazillion people and the wheelchair really well, or a bunch of bikes and Costco run.

Pretty good gas mileage and handling too, even in snow. If I was going for another smaller can I’d do a minivan before another Suburban.  But my Nissan has been wonderful.  If those were completely unavailable I’d do a Ford Tranait but I don’t like the engine layout of appearance as much as the full hood of the NV.

Is this what you are referring to?  I don't even need this anymore, and I am in love with what I see.  You have to keep me out of car dealerships, though, because I am a sucker for shine!

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/commercial/nv-passenger/gallery.html

I want an NV so much. This thread is not helping. DH is not convinced because our 2012 8-passenger Ody probably still has a ton of life left in it and we can't justify the $$$. But with 5 kids we only have room for one extra person now when we go places as a family, which is tricky when parents come to visit.

I'm eyeballing the VW Atlas, the Chevy Traverse, and the Kia Telluride. 

17 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Loved, loved, loved my Honda Odyssey!! Drove it til 250K miles. 

I downsized to a Subaru this summer, but I miss my van!

I downsized from a Quest van to a CRV ten years ago, and boy have I missed it! Luckily for me, dd is buying the CRV and I need something else. I'm going big even though it's not a strict need. 

I looked at the Odyssey and I do love it, but omg it's long, lol. Like 22 feet long. I'll never park in the city again (parallel parking is not my thing). It also has buttons for Drive, Reverse, etc, now. I'm sure I'd get used to it but I really don't like it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

As long as you're dreaming, go for the Sprinter 🙂 I paid less for my house. 😂

I actually showed the Sprinter to DH...although the one I built "only" cost $65,000.

Edited by EmseB

I agree that you should  go with NV we have friends with it.  This summer we spent a week with them and all rode in it very comfortably.  It was 4 adults, 3 teenagers, 4 kids and an infant. Plus we had a stroller and 2 full size harps. It was quite impressive.

Edited by rebcoola

1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Thank you!  This is super helpful.  

We are in the process of figuring out what to do as far as a new chair.   The one he has no isn't transport approved so we wouldn't be able to keep him in it in a van.   Hopefully we'll either get something power assist, or full power.  We'll probably need to make that decision first.

I need him to be within arm's reach of the driver, so we'd definitely need a side ramp/lift, and not a rear one, even though I know that rear ones have many advantages.  

My son has a big power chair.  He drives into the van and we secure the chair to the van and put his seat belt on.  Our van is rear entry.  I can't even count how many times a handicapped spot hasn't been available and we had to park in a regular space, so rear-entry is really working for us.  It happens at least once or twice a month.  Of course, this means parallel parking in the  city is out for us, but it's been worth that trade off.  

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Thank you!  It's always helpful to know what other people are doing.  

I totally get that advantage to rear entry.  But if I'm driving, and there is a trach issue, and I have to park and climb over seats to get to him, that's too much time.   Maybe, if I had something huge like an NV, then I could leave a path to right behind the front passenger seat, that might work, but I can't have him behind a row of seats.  

The other option would be a rear ramp for the chair, and then always transfer him to a seat.  Which is a possibility. 

We're also in a pretty urban environment, and so there's a fair amount of parallel parking in our lives.  Something like an NV would probably be difficult in that situation anyway.  

I think we need to make the chair decision before we make any van decision, so I'm mostly just asking out of curiosity.  

Ah, I see upon re-reading that you are seating more people.  My son drives into the van and parks right behind the front seat and between the two passenger seats.  The original passenger seats were replaced with slightly narrower ones.  Anyone in the front seat could reach him.  Anyone next to him would be sharing his armrest.  It's just emptiness behind him because we didn't opt for any additional jump seats installed in the back.  I only have two kids, so my van only holds 4 people plus my son.  Technically we could hook up a second kid in a wheelchair right behind him, but we haven't transported any friends this way; just his equipment if we travel. 

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Do you have a mini van?  I only have 2 other kids, but we carpool a ton, and we have an elderly relative who we drive around a fair amount too.  I wonder if we could do a set up like yours and have jump seats in the back so that we can have a couple extra kids.  

Yes. I just have a converted caravan. Our ramp flips down in the back.  I didn't want anything that could break/freeze and trap DS in the van.