Menu

Anyone have a recommendation for a $100-$150 digital camera for older teens?

Canon SD1100is

The one shown is $160, but the same camera in blue or brown is $149. Free shipping & no tax (amazon).

It is an 8 MP camera.

Love the large display and how compact the camera is.

Takes beautiful pictures.

I was surprised how well the videos turned out.

2nd best rated subcompact camera by Consumer Reports.

Good luck :)

What do specific features do you like?

I bought this one from Costco this week for $179 w/ the coupon in the November Costco coupon book. It would be a great teen camera. My kids 11 & 13 know all the bells & whistles already and are teaching me. We've had Canon Elphs before. They are great little cameras for the price. AND they work seamlessly w/ my Mac & Iphoto.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11277357&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

It came with a free 2GB memory card.

Here is the camera on the Canon website:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=16718

I was going to recommend the Canon SD1100IS as well! Sweet camera, great price. I have a much older Canon SD, and I love it. You can't go wrong with any of the Canon SD series. In general, I think Canon makes the best low end digital cameras.

Here is my "go-to" site for camera recommendations: KenRockwell.com The top of his recommendations page starts with a more expensive camera; just scroll down to get to the cheaper ones. He recommends several in your price range.

My dd bought this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8742168&st=CASIO+EXILIM&type=product&id=1202648738772 and absolutely loves it. I think it is on sale right now for 129.99

It takes great pictures, it also does video for upto 10 minutes, and it is very compact. It is very easy to upload pictures and video to the computer. DD has figured all of it out on her own...she is 11, she carries it every where with her.

Buy as much zoom as you can afford with 8 or more megapixels.

Good luck.

but make sure it's optical zoom, not digital zoom. digital zoom produces inferior quality pictures.

unless you have plans to make very large prints (larger than 8 X 10), 5mp is really sufficient. sometimes more isn't better. that being said, the Canon SD1100is has been on my amazon wish list for months now mainly because of the Image Stabilization feature.

Edited by Deidre in GA

We bought my dd a Fujifilm Finepix Z20fd 10 mp digital camera with 3x optical zoom for her 16th birthday. (Of course she wanted the hot pink one!). Her birthday was pack in June and she has been using it quite a bit. The pics are great. It does have stabilization and other things which I would recommend. I bought it from Amazon. I don't remember exactly how much we paid, but right now it's going for $129 on Amazon - the non hot pink versions are probably less - lol!

I just bought myself a Kodak Easyshare camera. It does have 3x optical zoom and stabilization but only 7mp. That camera is only around $80, but I had been saving Easy care bucks from CVS, and ended up getting it for about $13 at their Thanksgiving sale. It will be my birthday present from dh.

Good luck shopping.

Veronica