Menu

A country mouse story

Laura Corin

Aw, little mousie must've been so scared!

I’m truly sorry Man’s dominion
Has broken Nature’s social union,
An’ justifies that ill opinion,
          Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
          An’ fellow-mortal!
  • Like 5

When we lived in the UK, there was a river right in front of our house and about 40 acres of farmland behind it. In the fall the field mice would flee the combine harvester and often end up in the house. I was surprised by how cute they were compared to the big gray house mice I was used to in the US! We used to trap them and take them over the river and release them into a different field. Then we took in a pregnant feral cat, and we had far fewer mice in the house. Once we managed to rescue a young field mouse from one of the cats, who had taken a bite out of its ear. We released it on the other side of the river and about a week later the cat brought the same exact mouse back! We ended up driving him a few miles away before releasing him again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Tell me you aren't the one with the pink sock calmly taking a photo while the mouse is that close to you! 😯

Yup, that's me.

7 minutes ago, ashfern said:

I'm impressed that y'all caught that thing in a drinking glass!

He didn't seem afraid. At one point he ran between my feet.

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

When we lived in the UK, there was a river right in front of our house and about 40 acres of farmland behind it. In the fall the field mice would flee the combine harvester and often end up in the house. I was surprised by how cute they were compared to the big gray house mice I was used to in the US! We used to trap them and take them over the river and release them into a different field. Then we took in a pregnant feral cat, and we had far fewer mice in the house. Once we managed to rescue a young field mouse from one of the cats, who had taken a bite out of its ear. We released it on the other side of the river and about a week later the cat brought the same exact mouse back! We ended up driving him a few miles away before releasing him again.

Yes, he's a field mouse escaping the first frosts. I relocated him a couple of miles away.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MercyA said:

❤️

He looks like a bit of a chonk! 😄

He should be after demolishing that big bag of rice in the cupboard.

I hope he didn't chew the dishwasher pipes. We've had three floods due to mice. The piping is now wrapped in wire wool to discourage chewing.

• Like 2

Laura Corin - you are so brave! You are my hero.

My first attempt a catch and release of a wee mouse coming in from the cold, I accidentally killed it when I tried to shoo it out of the box I caught him in. We had just moved into the neighbourhood, and here I am killing a mouse on our front drive-way. 🙄 Big oops.

Edited by wintermom
  • Sad 1

Laura,

You are totally my hero. I would have been shrieking loudly and standing on the counter tops if I had seen a mouse in the house and yet you captured the mouse and story beautifully. He looks adorable by the way and will be so happy in his new home. Good for you. Making the world a kinder, gentler place one mousey at a time😁

• Like 3

I hate mice too. I live in the country and I have a cat.  The first night we had the cat she was playing with a mouse in our bedroom! I had not seen any sign of a mouse so I guess it was just a big unhappy coincidence for that poor little mouse.  No sign of mice since then......but I am constantly on high alert for any sign on my counters or in my drawers.  Dh built me the cutest little cover for the drawer that holds our silverware. Mouse proof. 

• Like 1

Aww!  So darling—but also so destructive !

Here’s Doogie my country mouse after live catch and release.   Mine was cute, but I think yours even cuter! 

I think I didn’t get her far enough away from home and that she may have been a pregnant female...    so next part of story is ongoing... 

C4B48169-EF15-4834-91D7-F204E56C439B.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Our dishwasher hasn't been washing well the last two days. I fear it is leaking behind and that Mousie had a good chew before eviction. Damn.

Oh no.  🤕

That (and potentially carrying illness or carrying additional creatures who do) is surely a problem with mice.

My mouse’s progeny, friends and relations damaged our furnace.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pen said:

Akk! 

Indeed.  We actually wrapped the pipe in wire wool last time this happened to discourage them, but presumably they got around it.  Husband has checked and it's soaking back there.

Strange wildlife behaviour.  When we lived in China, a tiny cockroach made its way onto the motherboard of our dishwasher and fried it.

14 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Indeed.  We actually wrapped the pipe in wire wool last time this happened to discourage them, but presumably they got around it.  Husband has checked and it's soaking back there.

Strange wildlife behaviour.  When we lived in China, a tiny cockroach made its way onto the motherboard of our dishwasher and fried it.

I wonder if dishwasher destruction by wildlife is common. 

I know bugs get into smoke detectors and make the go off fairly often.  

What are the pipes the mice chew on made of?

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

I wonder if dishwasher destruction by wildlife is common. 

I know bugs get into smoke detectors and make the go off fairly often.  

What are the pipes the mice chew on made of?

Google says it's not unknown. The pipes are quite hard concertina plastic. They have to be flexible but we are looking into options.

11 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Google says it's not unknown. The pipes are quite hard concertina plastic. They have to be flexible but we are looking into options.

Our clothes washer has flexible metal hosing - maybe something like that exists for dW where you are? 

• Like 1