Menu

Trying to order a duvet

Scarlett

I feel like I am missing something.  At Dillard’s they had Duvets for $189.  No thanks.  So I went on Amazon and every time I search  for duvet it brings up duvet covers.  I will want a cover or two once I get the duvet.... but how/where can I find just a selection of duvets?

Edited by Scarlett

22 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I feel like I am missing something.  At Dillard’s they had Duvets for $189.  No thanks.  So I went on Amazon and every time I search  for duvet it brings up duvet covers.  I will want a cover or two once I get the duvet.... but how/where can I find jut a selection of duvets?

Search for "comforter" in the Home and Kitchen department at Amazon.

Bed Bath and Beyond stores generally have several to choose from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Search for "duvet insert".

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/duvet-insert

One that is filled with down/feathers is an investment.

Most likely you're looking for cotton-poly ones if $200 was beyond your budget.

I wanted to compare, but all I kept finding was covers.  I do think I want the down now  that I am looking at both.....I think the one at Dillard’s was down....Dh does for sure.  

I ageee it could be an investment.  I am just a little surprised at how difficult it was to search for it. 

And we’re back to ikea again🤣 seriously, they have a great selection of varying weights and prices. Just choose the one you like, then get whatever cover you want wherever you want! I have a twin lightweight one for my DS’s bed and he doesn’t even use a cover on it because he thinks it’s so soft. I’ve washed it a bunch and it’s holding up well. 

• Like 1

We’ve had IKEA and non-IKEA ones. I actually don’t like the IKEA cotton-poly ones we have. We used to have really nice down ones but when we moved to Texas we had no closets so I got rid of them. The kids got cotton-poly ones instead. After 4 years of them, they need to be replaced.

I bought a down one last year for myself now that we are in the PNW. I hope to get another this year. They really are much better quality. 

Be sure to check measurements.  I found that they came in a variety of actual sizes, despite sharing the same name - "queen," "king," etc.  Depending on how puffy you want the end result, you'll want the insert to be the same or slightly bigger than the cover, not smaller.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Search on ‘comforter’ and you will find them—bland, white, clear meant to be inserts.

See, because a "duvet" is actually a cover that you put on a *comforter,* and generally, that would be a down comforter which usually cannot be washed. The duvet goes on like a pillow case, to protect the down comforter.

• Like 1

Do you want down, or synthetic?  Look up comforter - include what you want as fill in the search.  Price will vary according to fill power, ounces, dimension/ bed size, and fabric.

For Down, loft matters.  It should be at least 600 fill power.  Lower fps have more feathers.  They're heavier - but less warmth.  They're noisy, and stiff.

Amazon does have some decent ones - I had to wade through for 1ds as he wanted a warmer than standard one.

Costco has Pacific coast down online,  and they've been good for the price. 

35 minutes ago, Ellie said:

See, because a "duvet" is actually a cover that you put on a *comforter,* and generally, that would be a down comforter which usually cannot be washed. The duvet goes on like a pillow case, to protect the down comforter.

Right.

I would like to add—I bought an IKEA comforter for DD and she loved it.  I can’t recall which one though.

58 minutes ago, Ellie said:

in Europe they are called "Duvets" and the cover is a "duvet cover".   in the US, comforter is more common.

down comforters can be washed in a front loader (do NOT put them in a top loader with an agitator).  I wash mine  - except for my king. It doesn't fit in my washer.

I also put them in the dryer.  throw tennis balls in with them to "fluff" - including in the washing machine.  the most important thing is to make sure it's completely dry.  which can take awhile.

I somehow inherited a really gross old down pillow - the kind you want to pick up with fireplace tongs and hold at a distance so you don't touch it. I think I washed that one in hot water.  It came out (almost) like new.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Be sure to check measurements.  I found that they came in a variety of actual sizes, despite sharing the same name - "queen," "king," etc.  Depending on how puffy you want the end result, you'll want the insert to be the same or slightly bigger than the cover, not smaller.

Same for covers.

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Something odd happened when the word moved to the US, because 'duvet' literally means 'down'.

I wash my duvet once a year in my front loader washing machine and dry it with with tennis balls. It works well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ellie said:

No, a duvet is what Americans call a comforter, usually with a plain white cover instead of a fancy patterned one, and they are meant to be inserted in removable, washable "duvet covers," which also function as a top sheet.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ellie said:

This must be my confusion.  I thought a duvet was what goes inside of a duvet cover. So I am looking for a comforter....but I don’t thunk all comforters would be well suited for the covers.  I did see one that mentioned having tabs on it which I assume would be good for the covers.  

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

No, a duvet is what Americans call a comforter, usually with a plain white cover instead of a fancy patterned one, and they are meant to be inserted in removable, washable "duvet covers," which also function as a top sheet.

Oh boy. Back to what I thought.  I just wish I could get one I  like.  I do want down and will have to pay a pretty penny for it looks like. 

9 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I somehow inherited a really gross old down pillow - the kind you want to pick up with fireplace tongs and hold at a distance so you don't touch it. I think I washed that one in hot water.  It came out (almost) like new.

An ex-bf now named Mistake, did that.   The problem was that cover disintegrated in the dryer and it looked like "A chicken exploded" on the roof near the dryer vent. 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Oooh, I like the Amazon one.   They have an "Oversize King" (swoons). 

I have this fancy duvet that I bought in this fancy store in Germany.  100% free-range goose down filled with extra down because I wanted it and I was paying by the weight.   They made it while I watched.  But I live in Texas and I like to share a comforter with DH.   So, since marriage it has sat in the closet. 

How do you know if a comforter has the ties to hold it in the duvet cover? My son has an IKEA comforter/duvet and duvet cover and it does not have the inner ties. Because the comforter is light weight the comforter often bunches up in the bottom of the duvet cover.  Our bed has an IKEA duvet cover but the comforter is from Kohls and is much heavier so it stays just fine inside the cover without ties.

5 minutes ago, cintinative said:

How do you know if a comforter has the ties to hold it in the duvet cover? My son has an IKEA comforter/duvet and duvet cover and it does not have the inner ties. Because the comforter is light weight the comforter often bunches up in the bottom of the duvet cover.  Our bed has an IKEA duvet cover but the comforter is from Kohls and is much heavier so it stays just fine inside the cover without ties.

The insert never has the ties, the covers do.  The quality ones all have ties.  You just tie a little square knot around each corner.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

An ex-bf now named Mistake, did that.   The problem was that cover disintegrated in the dryer and it looked like "A chicken exploded" on the roof near the dryer vent. 

the fabric must have been really fragile, but if it made it through the washing machine - it's odd it wouldn't make it through the dryer. did he have anything else in the dryer with the pillow?

the ticking on this one was pretty heavy.

15 hours ago, Scarlett said:

when manufacturers list "white down alternative" - it really irks me.  when doing a search for white down -  **I don't want** "alternatives" to show up in my results!  it's NOT ***DOWN***.  it's synthetic.  I don't find them as warm as down, and that's why I'm buying down comforters - warmth.

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Maybe IKEA isn’t considered quality.  Lol.  Oh well, the price is right.  

no it's not - it's considered "affordable".  even their expensive "down" KÄLLKRASSE  comforters - have 10% feathers (larger, no warmth holding properties).  they won't tell you the fill power.  

I can buy a better quality pacific coast feather (company name) down comforter at Costco for less than that one.  and it will be warmer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

no it's not - it's considered "affordable".  even their expensive "down" KÄLLKRASSE  comforters - have 10% feathers (larger, no warmth holding properties).  they won't tell you the fill power.  

I can buy a better quality pacific coast feather (company name) down comforter at Costco for less than that one.  and it will be warmer.

A couple of things.......I sleep very hot.....and Costco is an hour way and I don’t have a member ship.  So I think this IKEA one will have to do. If I hate it I can always put it on the guest bed and buy a better quality for us.  

15 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

when manufacturers list "white down alternative" - it really irks me.  when doing a search for white down -  **I don't want** "alternatives" to show up in my results!  it's NOT ***DOWN***.  it's synthetic.  I don't find them as warm as down, and that's why I'm buying down comforters - warmth.

I know, I found that annoying too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

A couple of things.......I sleep very hot.....and Costco is an hour way and I don’t have a member ship.  So I think this IKEA one will have to do. If I hate it I can always put it on the guest bed and buy a better quality for us.  

Costco has a better selection online than in the warehouse.

8 hours ago, Corraleno said:

The only "comforter" I have ever seen that has a plain white cover is a down comforter. I've owned a number of comforters in my life, only one of which had "fancy patterned" "cover." Comforters tend to be heavy, like these, and are either tacked in many places to hold the batting in place, or box-stitched for the same reason. They don't usually completely cover the bed, having a drop that just covers the sides of the mattress, although some are oversized and may cover the bed, more like a bedspread.

No one in America ever referred to a "duvet" until Martha Stewart made it fashionable in the 80s, and then it was a cover for a down comforter.

17 minutes ago, Ellie said:

The only "comforter" I have ever seen that has a plain white cover is a down comforter. I've owned a number of comforters in my life, only one of which had "fancy patterned" "cover." Comforters tend to be heavy, like these, and are either tacked in many places to hold the batting in place, or box-stitched for the same reason. They don't usually completely cover the bed, having a drop that just covers the sides of the mattress, although some are oversized and may cover the bed, more like a bedspread.

No one in America ever referred to a "duvet" until Martha Stewart made it fashionable in the 80s, and then it was a cover for a down comforter.

Not my experience at all.  I heard the terms “duvet” and “duvet cover” in the 70s. My experience with comforters include fluffy, lighter weight, fashion fabric-covered ones and white, poly-filled ones intended to be used with a cover, as well as white down-filled ones.

I had to give up my Company Store down comforter when moving from Chicago to the South lol. 

Edited by Lawana
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Katy said:

@Scarlett before you buy the ikea one you might check outlet type stores. Like TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Nordstrom Rack, or Dillards Clearance Centers if you're going to be near any of them anytime soon.

I did look a little on Saturday.  I just don’t have the time to mess with it.  I ordered the IKEA. 

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

Comforters and duvets are the same size (because they're the same thing), and are generally smaller than bedspreads. All the major department stores, as well as Target, BBB, etc., sell plain white comforters with synthetic fill not just down. I have used duvet covers over regular comforters (which are often easier to find on sale than white ones), and the sizes are the same. When we moved to our current house and the kids downsized from full-size beds to twin-size, I got two really nice thick comforters in an abstract blue pattern on clearance at Macy's for $19 each, and put them inside duvet covers that matched their rooms. When DD redecorated her room, I just changed the duvet cover. Duvet is to duvet cover as pillow is to pillow case.

ETA: The Company Store website you linked also sells many styles and colors of "duvet covers" and in the listing for those it states "Our duvet covers have corner ties that attach to comforter (sold separately) to hold it firmly in place." 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4