Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW44: Mr. Macklin’s Jack O’Lantern

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-four  in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews.

Mr. Macklin’s Jack O’Lantern

by

David McCord
1897-1997

Mr. Macklin takes his knife
And carves the yellow pumpkin face:
Three holes bring eyes and nose to life,
The mouth has thirteen teeth in place.
Then Mr. Macklin just for fun
Transfers the corn-cob pipe from his
Wry mouth to Jack’s, and everyone
Dies laughing! O what fun it is
Till Mr. Macklin draws the shade
And lights the candle in Jack’s skull.
Then all the inside dark is made
As spooky and as horrorful
As Halloween, and creepy crawl
The shadows on the tool-house floor,
With Jack’s face dancing on the wall.
O Mr. Macklin! where's the door?

Happy Halloween!

What are you reading?

Link to week 43

• Like 7

Finished Nora Robert's The Rise of Magicks (Thank you again, Karen) and thoroughly enjoyed it once I got past the first chapter.  Weird sentence structures which kept throwing me for some reason.  Currently reading James Rollins thriller Deep Fathom.  Love his stories.

"Ex-Navy SEAL Jack Kirkland surfaces from an aborted underwater salvage mission to find Earth burning. Solar flares have triggered a series of gargantuan natural disasters. Earth-quakes and hellfire rock the globe. Air Force One has vanished from the skies with America's president on board.Now, with the United States on the narrow brink of a nuclear apocalypse, Kirkland must pilot his oceangoing exploration ship, Deep Fathom, on a desperate mission miles below the ocean's surface. There, devastating secrets await him--and a power an ancient civilization could not contain that has been cast out into modern day, where it will forever alter a world that's already racing toward its own destruction."

• Like 6

Robin, I love the Mr. Macklin poem. 

I read:

Moments with Baha'u'llah - 4 Stars - This was probably the third time that I read this short and beautiful memoir. This is yet another book that would only be of interest to Baha’is. A simply beautiful read.

Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany - 3 Stars - The author of this gorgeously-illustrated book starts off by saying, “The goal of this book is to triple the size of your To Be Read pile.” Since my to-read list is already way out of control, I am grateful that this didn’t happen! I ended up adding only three books to my wish list.

What I Loved:

Beautiful illustrations – I simply loved browsing through this book – especially favorite bookstores, libraries, pets in bookstores, and so on. This book is engaging and fun!

What I Did Not Particularly Care For:

I noticed that many of the titles lean heavily towards books that are strong on one side of politics and all the usual reactions to the 2016 presidential election, political correctness and all that. Had it not been so noticeable, I would likely have given it a higher rating. At times, I felt that I was browsing in the Strand bookstore in Manhattan, or in Powell’s in Portland. There’s nothing wrong with either, but I would have preferred more neutral titles, or at least, fewer book suggestions that are geared towards only one side of politics, being progressive, and all that.

Talking about bookstores – I was recently in New York and visited three bookstores. Of the three, the Strand was my least favorite, Rizzoli was second, Three Lives and Company was my all-time favorite. But I digress. All the political stuff is tiresome and divisive.

Some parts of the book had very small font, which made it difficult to read.

My favorite quote:

“I know that any book, when read at the right moment, might make my life better, might give me a greater understanding of the universe and all the other people in it.”

What Shall I Wear? - 3 Stars - I heard about this book from Tim Gunn, whom I simply adore. The author, fashion designer Claire Mc Cardell, changed American fashion in her time (1905-1958). She made women’s dresses more comfortable, practical, while maintaining style and elegance. Her dresses had pockets, which few dresses at the time had. Sad to say, dresses with pockets still seem to be a rarity. She also popularized the use of ballet flats.

Some of the advice in the book is obviously dated, things like dressing to please your husband, but me, being traditional and all, have no problem with that. This book is like stepping back in time and the illustrations in this book are just lovely.

Two of my favorite quotes:

“Never too much, never too little, never undue exaggeration, never downright carelessness. Ask yourself first of all: ‘Have I done my best to keep myself trim, without the danger of starvation diets, overexercise? Am I weight-conscious? Do I ever walk?’ Now if there are certain serious disproportions after you have done your part, you will obviously need the support of firmer underthings. But this does not mean punishing, rigid, unrelenting foundations.”

“Don’t drive your husband and your friends crazy by talking about your diet all the time.” 

Everything I Need to Know I Learned From Led Zeppelin: Classic Rock Wisdom from the Greatest Band of All Time - 3 Stars - My daughter has this book and I will find any excuse to read anything illustrated/graphic. The only song that I know and love by Led Zeppelin is “Stairway to Heaven”. This book is geared more for die-hard fans. It would have fitted in perfectly with the movie “School of Rock” (Jack Black)! It’s cute, the illustrations are all vintage and an absolute delight.

51TGPZ1KNKL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg   9781452167237.jpg 9781468316650.jpg  9781942334132.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

--

More vacation pictures from Ronda, Spain. We loved Ronda! The first one is from the pool at our hotel. It faced the oldest bullfighting ring in Spain. 

2.jpg

24b.jpg

24e.jpg

52.jpg

61a.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:28 PM, mumto2 said:

I finished The Linesman and it really was very good.  I will be reading the rest of the series as soon as I get the chance.

I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed Linesman after all the build-up and hope you'll also like the second and third books.

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

Finished Nora Robert's The Rise of Magicks (Thank you again, Karen) and thoroughly enjoyed it once I got past the first chapter.  

My pleasure, Robin!

And I'm delighted that I was able to quote posts from different weeks. (It's the first time I've accomplished that on my Kindle Fire. I did it by using the multi-quote feature.)

What an eclectic assortment of books, Negin. Thank you for sharing more of your photos; I've never visited Spain so I'm enjoying some armchair travel.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

5 Books Where Gods Walk the Earth

https://www.tor.com/2019/10/17/5-books-where-gods-walk-the-earth/#comment-833540

Gormenghast With Hooves: Learning the Art of Dark Storytelling From My Little Pony by Seanan McGuire

https://www.tor.com/2019/10/15/gormenghast-with-hooves-learning-the-art-of-dark-storytelling-from-my-little-pony/

The 10 Best Poetry Collections of the Decade

https://lithub.com/the-10-best-poetry-collections-of-the-decade/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 102219&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf_DormantSuppress

Stories to savor: These are the best books to listen to while cooking

https://www.today.com/food/recipes-make-these-women-powered-amazon-audible-books-t163677?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 102219&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf_DormantSuppress

The Evolution of Dragons in Western Literature: A History by Yvonne Shiau

https://www.tor.com/2019/10/23/the-evolution-of-dragons-in-western-literature-a-history/

NANCY DREW FOR ADULTS: GREAT AMATEUR SLEUTH SERIES FOR READERS OVER TWENTY by Karen White

https://crimereads.com/nancy-drew-for-adults-great-amateur-sleuth-series-for-readers-over-twenty/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Hi everyone! Love the poem, Robin - Halloween snuck up on me this year. I still need to buy some candy for the trick-or-treaters. 

Beautiful pics, Negin! I really enjoy seeing them each week. 

I am almost done with my scary book for the month - Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. I didn't realize this was a continuation of The Shining until a couple months ago - ha! King sure can keep me turning the pages. I have about 100 left to go.

Also reading Becoming by Michelle Obama and am pleasantly surprised at how well she writes. Reading on my kindle so I'm not sure how far I am; she has just met Barack so I guess I'm still near the beginning. 

• Like 5

@Robin M Thank you for the Mr. Macklin Jack o lantern poem!

@Negin I had never heard of Ronda before your beautiful pictures..........it is on the list of places I would like to visit now!

@Kareni  Your links were very click worthy,  I was kept well entertained while preparing dinner tonight.😉  Now I need to do the research part of all those potential books

I finished A Small Death in Lisbon and have to say it was well done in terms of a book that intermingles past events with current (1990’s current),  the ending was satisfying and the history was unfortunately basically accurate without much googling.  That said one of the books main characters was a Nazi, a reluctant one perhaps, but many atrocities detailed.  The present day portion envolved many potential triggers also so this really is not a book I can recommend to most.  That said I am done with my Brexit Special 10x10.  I really wanted 10 different EU countries which was harder than expected.  Brexit is an appropriate as we wait to see exactly what will happen as we approach this next week............

Brexit Special......10 EU countries

1.  The Man Who Died by Antti Tuomainen (Finland)

2.  The Ruin by Dervia McTiernan (Ireland)

3.   Journey to Munich by Jacqueline Winspear (Germany)

4.  A Dangerous Place by Jacqueline Winspear (Spain)

5.  A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (Portugal and Germany)

6.  All Cry Chaos by Leonard Rosen (Netherlands )

7.   Death in Strange Country by Donna Leon (Italy)

8.  The Elusive Mrs. Polifax by Dorothy Gilman (Bulgaria)

9.  Have Mercy on Us All by Fred Vargas (France)

10. The Black Shepherd (Estonia)

My favorites on this list were The Man Who Died, The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax, and The Ruin.

I also finished another Bo Tully Mystery, The Huckleberry Murders, which I found charming.  I will be sad when this series is over.  My nature fact of the day......did you know that a beaver slapping it’s tail on the water sounds like a gunshot?  Apparently it’s true.😉

I am currently trying to finish spelling Toby Peters before the books return themselves!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I just finished  Out of My Mind  While it is young adult book, it is excellent for ages 10 to 100.  It is the story of an 11 year old with CP that everyone be thinks is retarded but she is really brilliant.  Very good information as well for those not experienced with the challenges of those with special needs.

• Like 7

How can it be two months since I lasted posted in the BaW threads?!? Well, hello! Here I am!

While I typically read between 120 and 150 books each year, I knew that serving as move coordinator for my daughters and spending nearly the entire summer away from home would likely cut into my reading time. I settled on a more realistic goal of 104 books in 2019, and at ninety-five books read and a little more than two months remaining to read at least another nine, I think I chose well.

I’m not doing quite as well with my “Read from the shelves” challenge. I tasked myself with reading one hundred books from my shelves (i.e., books in my collection before the end of 2018), including at least twenty-four non-fiction titles and at least one book from each of the following “special collections”: Shakespeare, poetry, NYRB, Vonnegut, Joyce Carol Oates, philosophy, art, and children’s / YA. I also planned to make short work of 2018’s unfinished business and to closely (re)read Moby Dick.

How am I doing so far? Here are a few numbers:

Total number of books read to date: 95
Read from shelves (RFS): 42
Non-fiction RFS: 15
Shakespeare RFS: Hamlet
Poetry RFS: Lunch Poems (Frank O’Hara)
NYRB RFS: The Summer Book (Tove Jansson)
Vonnegut RFS: Player Piano
Joyce Carol Oates RFS: The Rise of Life on Earth
Art RFS: But is it art? (Cynthia Freeland)
Children’s / YA RFS: Milkweed (Jerry Spinelli)

I finished the seven books I carried over from 2018, and the Melville project is slated to begin next weekend. I selected Letters from a Stoic as my philosophy RFS. By completing it and the three other non-fiction titles on my nighstand, I would reach nineteen non-fiction works RFS. It remains to be seen whether I can read another five non-fiction titles from the shelves before the end of the year. (Although it was not a goal specific to this year, it is worth noting that I have already read thirty non-fiction works this year, even before the four on the nightstand, so I am poised to outpace previous years’ goals in that area.)

Clearly, though, I will not meet the goal of one hundred books read from the shelves. The fact that so many of the books I had been reading in recent years were newly published and / or acquired in the year they were read had largely informed my “Read from the shelves” challenge (that and the embarrassment of riches that is my home library). It was never my intent to cease acquiring new books, only to acquire more thoughtfully and to make better use of the library. That said, of the ninety-five books I’ve read so far this year, only twenty-four were published this year. Twenty-three books on my 2019 list were acquired this year, ten of which were published in 2019. Twenty-three of this year’s books were borrowed from the library.

Oh, and here are the books I’ve read since I last visited the BaW threads:

Where’d You Go, Bernadette (Maria Semple; 2012. Fiction.) RFS
Audubon: On the Wings of the World (Fabien Grolleau and Jérémie Royer; 2017. Graphic non-fiction.) LIB
Howards End (E.M. Forster; 1910. Fiction.) RFS
Hope Rides Again (Andrew Shaffer; 2019. Fiction.) ATY
Outcast, Vol. 7 (Robert Kirkman; 2019. Graphic fiction.) OTH
Orange Is the New Black (Piper Kerman; 2014. Non-fiction.) RFS
American Prison (Shane Bauer; 2018. Non-fiction.) ATY
A Doll House (Henrik Ibsen (trans. Rolf Fjelde); 1879. Drama.) RFS
The Testaments (Margaret Atwood; 2019. Fiction.) ATY
Milkweed (Jerry Spinelli; 2003. Fiction.) RFS
Ulysses (James Joyce; 1922. Fiction.) RFS
They Called Us Enemy (George Takei; 2017. Graphic non-fiction.) LIB
Lunch Poems (Frank O’Hara; 1964. Poetry.) RFS

The Summer Book (Tove Jansson; 1972. Fiction.) RFS

Paper Girls, Vol. 6 (Brian K. Vaughan; 2019. Graphic fiction.) LIB
Oblivion Song, Vol. 3 (Robert Kirkman; 2019. Graphic fiction.) LIB
But is it art? (Cynthia Freeland; 2001. Non-fiction.) RFS
Player Piano (Kurt Vonnegut; 1952. Fiction.) RFS
Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross (Jeff Lemire; 2019. Graphic fiction.) OTH
Old in Art School (Nell Irvin Painter; 2018. Non-fiction.) RFS
A Rule against Murder (Louise Penny; 2009. Fiction.) ATY

—————————————
ATY Acquired this year
LIB Borrowed from library
OTH Other
RFS Read from shelves

• Like 7

This week I finished my Spooky October Read, Thomas Tryon's The Other, your basic evil-twin, bad-seed, small-town-with-high-gruesome-death-rate psychological horror novel. It's not badly written for genre fiction. 10x10 category: Little Oval on the Spine.

Currently reading The Stammering Century, Gilbert Seldes's 1928 overview of the minor social movements, religious and otherwise, of the American nineteenth century. Not far into it, but it seems promising. Also The Golden Pot and Other Tales by E.T.A. Hoffman (whose best-known short story is "The Nutcracker," not included in my collection). I've so far only read "The Sandman," a weird gothic exploration of the themes of vision, artificiality, and madness; it's part of Middle Girl's literature curriculum which we will be discussing soon. Also the occasional Hugh MacDiarmid poem.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I just finished  Out of My Mind  While it is young adult book, it is excellent for ages 10 to 100.  It is the story of an 11 year old with CP that everyone be thinks is retarded but she is really brilliant.  Very good information as well for those not experienced with the challenges of those with special needs.

Out of My Mind sounds intriguing, Ottakee; however, the link takes me back to this thread. Who is the author, please?

ETA: I did some searching and found it ~ 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I recently finished reading Life According to Liam by V.L. Locey which proved to be an enjoyable romance. (Adult content)

"There’s always that chance that your heart’s desire is one click away.

Someone needs to pinch web designer/humor blogger/Pittsburgh Ravens mega fan Mike Kneller. Hard. For years, Mike has been living his life for his younger sister Kelly and his four-year-old nephew Liam. He’d opened up his home to Kelly when she found herself pregnant at sixteen and facing having a baby alone. Sure, his days are filled with skinned knees, snotty noses, and the occasional mishap with stuffed superheroes, but he’s perfectly happy because he loves Liam as much as he loves his baby sister. Giving up a social life and going to bed alone is a small price to pay. Little does he know that someone on the Ravens is about to show Ravens goalie Bryn Mettler one of his vlog posts. Of course he’s not going to believe it when his phone rings and the world-famous netminder—and his goalie crush—is on the other end. I mean, life doesn’t work that way for ordinary, hardworking uncles like Mike. Does it?

Bryn Mettler is a superstar athlete and a major part of the Pittsburgh sports society. He seems to have it all. He’s well-dressed, handsome, wealthy, an elite goaltender, a famed philanthropist, and the holder of numerous medals and trophies. To date, there are two things that have avoided him: lifting that big shiny silver cup over his head and finding a man to settle down with. Now that he’s over thirty, Bryn is finding the gay club scene is wearing thin. His teammates’ wives have decided it’s their duty to the team—and to Bryn—to find him Mr. Right. He’s relatively sure the man who’ll capture his heart surely won’t be found on a humor blog. Funny how life likes to take the things that you’re most certain about and flip them—and you—on its ear. When Bryn meets Mike, he is instantly drawn to the warm, funny, sexy man who shares his hectic days with thousands of Pittsburgh natives. Now he just has to convince Mike he is who he says he is so he can get to know him better. Thankfully, Bryn isn’t a quitter. But does he have what it takes to leap into life with Mike, Kelly, and Liam? "

I also reread The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison which I enjoyed once again.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Just a discovery that has made my day a bit happier.......Once again I have 5 books to finish in basically three days.  Most are fluffy and fun but the pressure was on.........one is by the author Penny Reid because I need the word Penny to finish off a ten chain challenge.  No other reason to read that book right now.  

I have a hopefully silly spooky that I have been saving for a Spooky to read on Halloween that I thought I was going to have to set aside.  The Vampire Knitting Club https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/41882197-the-vampire-knitting-club?ac=1&from_search=true

I am in line for the new Verity Kent by Anna Lee Huber which is titled Penny for Your Secrets.......Penny!!!  It just clicked.......yeah!  I can wait!  One book off the list with no effort and I get to read a book in a series I love! Releases on the 29th i think if anyone  goes looking for it.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43786616-penny-for-your-secrets

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6

I got stuck on an old favorite. I needed some "cuddle" time:

The Silent One by Peters

The Ape who Guards the Balance by Peters.

Two favorites - one I am reading, one is an audiobook.

Another audiobook by Elly Griffiths is waiting for me.

Sacred and Profane by Kellerman is also on my waitlist.

• Like 5

Posting first, back to catch up with the thread later in the week.

Completed:   Along with completing Unshaken: Lineage of Grace Bk3 (Ruth) by Francine Rivers, narrated by Barbara Rosenblat  (4) (goodreads review for anyone interested) I'm counting Novembers spelling challenge as completed too . I've been trying to finish the Toby part, but my letter 'y' is a printed read which I may not finish this year:  God is Good for You

• P=  Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station: Bk6 ~ Dorothy Gilman, narrated by Barbara Rosenbladt (4) relisten
  • E=  Trouble at Rose Cottage: Tumtum and Nutmeg Bk7 ~ Emily Bearn, narrated by Bill Wallis  (5) Juvenile fict  
  • T=  Traitor's Purse: Albert Campion Bk11 ~ Margery Allingham (4) vintage mystery
  • E=  Medic on the Move: Even Further Adventures of a Scottish Country Doctor, Bk3 ~ Dr Tom Smith (audiobook) (3) Scots author/ incs NZ travelogue
  • R=  The Winslow Boy ~ Terence Rattigan (Classic Radio Theatre) (5) classic play
  • S=  Dancing in the Dark: Bk 18 ~ Stuart M. Kaminsky, narrator Jim Meskimen  (3-)  new author

New to my reading pile:   I've just started Fire in the Thatch: A Devon Mystery (Robert MacDonald #27) by E.C.R. Lorac, and it's a good audio/read so far.

• Like 5

I'd heard excellent reviews of The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix Harrow; however, I only read half of it before needing to return it to the library. What I read was interesting but not sufficiently compelling to have me continue. Perhaps another time.

"In the early 1900s, a young woman embarks on a fantastical journey of self-discovery after finding a mysterious book in this captivating and lyrical debut.

In a sprawling mansion filled with peculiar treasures, January Scaller is a curiosity herself. As the ward of the wealthy Mr. Locke, she feels little different from the artifacts that decorate the halls: carefully maintained, largely ignored, and utterly out of place.
Then she finds a strange book. A book that carries the scent of other worlds, and tells a tale of secret doors, of love, adventure and danger. Each page turn reveals impossible truths about the world and January discovers a story increasingly entwined with her own."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I just finished The Last Policeman by Ben Winter’ https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43834410-the-last-policeman.  It was very good and a bit of a classic.  The world is ending, everyone knows in six months the earth will be destroyed by the meteor hurtling towards us.  Many stop working to live out their bucket list,  others commit suicide,  others are going their lives apparently.  This detective is called to the scene of a suicide and decides it is really a murder and investigates........this book was on my master list to be read this year for my Sci Fi category 10x10’s,  Alternate Worlds and Outer Space.  This one is Alternate Worlds.......

Great job @tuesdayschild!  I have O to go for Toby Peters.  I just finished Plain Killing by Emma Miller for E and have Once a Spy by Mary Jo Pitney started.

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Book friends,

I've started a separate thread for Literary Hallowe'en. Please contribute! With all the reading you ladies do, there's surely a lot of strange or eerie passages that have struck you.

Fun thread...I have browsed.😉

• Like 5

Some bookish posts ~

The Appeal of Gothic Horror by Seanan McGuire

https://www.tor.com/2019/10/28/the-appeal-of-gothic-horror/

This Wonderful Map Charts Out The Wide World of Literature

https://www.tor.com/2019/10/23/this-wonderful-map-charts-out-the-wide-world-of-literature/

HOW TO WRITE FICTION ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE LITERARY ICONS by Sherry Thomas and Bella Ellis

https://crimereads.com/how-to-write-fiction-about-your-favorite-literary-icons/

21 of the Best Book Podcasts to Listen to When You're Not Reading

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/books/g29194023/best-book-podcasts/

5 BOOKS FOR WOMEN WHO DON’T PLAY BY THE RULES

https://bookriot.com/2019/09/27/books-for-women-who-dont-play-by-the-rules/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=True Story&utm_term=BookRiot_TrueStory_DormantSuppress

The 10 Best Memoirs of the Decade And Then Some by Emily Temple

https://lithub.com/the-10-best-memoirs-of-the-decade/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 102919&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf_DormantSuppress

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Last night I finished Planetside by Michael Mammay which was recommended in a recent newsletter by authors SK Dunstall. I enjoyed the book which ended with a bang and left me wishing to read on. 

"A seasoned military officer uncovers a deadly conspiracy on a distant, war-torn planet…

War heroes aren't usually called out of semi-retirement and sent to the far reaches of the galaxy for a routine investigation. So when Colonel Carl Butler answers the call from an old and powerful friend, he knows it's something big—and he's not being told the whole story. A high councilor's son has gone MIA out of Cappa Base, the space station orbiting a battle-ravaged planet. The young lieutenant had been wounded and evacuated—but there's no record of him having ever arrived at hospital command.

The colonel quickly finds Cappa Base to be a labyrinth of dead ends and sabotage: the hospital commander stonewalls him, the Special Ops leader won't come off the planet, witnesses go missing, radar data disappears, and that’s before he encounters the alien enemy. Butler has no choice but to drop down onto a hostile planet—because someone is using the war zone as a cover. The answers are there—Butler just has to make it back alive…"

On a personal note, I'm heading out of town to spend several days with a longtime friend. I'm not sure how much reading or internet time I will have. Happy reading all!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2