Menu

Accountability Thread 10/27-11/2

How about that? Almost at November already.  It's afternoon, but I've already been working on my to-do list. Still have four chapters to revise and school schedules to do, though. Got to work a little faster today!

Anyone have plans set for holidays? I don't. Need to do it.

• Like 1

Morning! I gave the boys the day off today. It's supposed to be the only nice day this week. Rainy and cold the rest of the time. Thought we'd get the boats and fishing gear out and give it one more shot before winter shuts us down. 

I have the usual revision race to work on today, but I'm on schedule to complete my work as I said I would, and that makes me really happy. 

• Like 1

She has been sick (ear infection and upper respiratory with asthma). So she was only doing lite school these past several days. Today was full school. She needed the brain work.  She was getting into mischief. 

I'm still hacking up a lung but came home from hospital on Friday. 

She missed me but enjoyed time with just Daddy.

Expecting snow tomorrow and Halloween is going to be cold.

• Like 2

Glad you are out of the hospital! Lots of rest and no overdoing it.

I'm in the final push of revisions today. Last four chapters and a read-thru tomorrow. My boys have orders to fend for themselves today. Time to get that second cup of tea, and get moving.

• Like 1

Morning! Boys have school and have already started. It's around 40 and blowing a gale outside. No art for us today, but later I'll get out and help put up some plastic on the chicken house windows against drafts. I have a dentist appointment this morning, and a ton of reading to do. I finished my revisions on both novels yesterday. Today is my read through to check for typos, chapter titles, formatting errors, etc before both stories go out--one to my agent, the other to Beta readers. And tomorrow starts NaNoWriMo! 

• Like 1

I'm trying to rest but a Mommy's work is never done.

She did school yesterday but she gets Halloween off.

She has chores, Bible and has to read to me and that's it.

It snowed last night and currently only 35 degrees outside.

Trunk or Treat tonight and visit family.

I'm actually feeling better though. Thank God! DD doing a lot better. We both have a strong cough still but that's improving as well.

Happy Halloween  🙂

• Like 2

About 30 this morning, too. Heavy frost. I've got my tea, and am about to settle in to finish my proofreading. I wanted to finish last night, but my eyes were getting tired, and I didn't want to have to redo whole chapters if I started skimming. I'll get that finished today. Then I have to pack up the world and head into town to mail submission stuff because my internet is taking around two minutes to load Twitter or post here. That won't be conducive to sending emails.

Boys have school. One is still burrowed in bed. It's cold. The other is cooking breakfast and lamenting the end of fishing season. I may let them build a fire later today. They'll like that.

• Like 1

Daddy at work.

Grocery shopping 

Storytime at library 

Go buy a gift for cousins party this weekend. 

Audiobooks, arts/crafts, she reads, science videos and does a writing page. Lite school on Fridays. 

Maybe the park after lunch with Daddy. Depending on how warm it is.

Rest 

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 2

'afternoon!  Second day with power back on here (had been off since last Saturday afternoon). 

We got slightly derailed this week.  Are at piano lessons now.  For today:

• elder: math, Latin, memory work, Old Testament verse review, running & some exercise,
  • younger: grammar & writing, Earth Science, Bible Memory work, running
  • everybody: a haunted house project we didn't do this week
  • me: troubleshoot the rest of the term.  Math and language arts are coming together, science is picking up.  I may try History Odyssey level 2 for elder DS; I'd prefer to just do WTM-style but this is my resistant learner and the pre-fab accountability of HO may suit him.  I'm thinking we'll try lessons from the end of Middle Ages this term and see if it is doable & would like to adjust assignments to refer to my preferred encyclopedia and narratives spine(s).  Also I'd like to pick up the support I'm giving for piano lessons: more daily practice, piano games of some sort + theory app, support for their theory work. 
  • also: clean house, exercise. 
Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Oh, my.  As elder DS recovers from his long illness, it turns out that he thinks he is in high school.  I'd thought he was in 8th grade.  😉  I'm pretty sure that this little "misunderstanding" actually reflects a more deep desire on DS' part to be in 9th grade and is tapping into something significant which I ought to pay attention to -- there were signs of it last year -- oh, my. 

I've been thinking that if we hit high-school quality work by December of his "ninth grade" year then we'll be okay, though we need probably need to work through the summer.  And this is before December, at least, and his math & foreign languages are alright for HS credit.  Hope it is okay that I post this here.  I've already done something like this so. many. times for this child, it can be discouraging and accountability will help. 

(the idea is to work backward from the high school plans)

1. Word Study & Grammar : prepare for ninth grade word study
    1. Finish All About Spelling  Because it doesn't take THAT long and the boy is simply not a natural speller and then begin vocabulary from classical roots.
    2. Grammar ftWTM red books.
  2. Rhetoric:
    1. begin Discovery of Deduction
    2. crank out some 3-level outlines this week, begin reading Elements of Style
  3. Great Books:  !!!!!
    1. Begin.  We may begin with something at the end of the "middle ages" year and then pick up with Early Modern after Thanksgiving break.
    2. Add science & math great books to the list, and incorporate them in our science & math studies. 
  4. Math
    1. Work 1 hour per school day on math: current program, readings in math, and ...
    2. Add/incorporate 10-15" skills review (partly b/c standardized test results showed this was something to be addressed) daily or every other day
  5. Art
    1. Drawing & artistic pursuits.  At least 30" regularly.  Begin high school program(s).
    2. Piano. 
  6. Lab science
    1. Wrap up our earth science readings & work by Thanksgiving.
    2. I suppose what is most needed is practice in writing lab reports + building joy.  Probably will try Golden Book of Chemistry, having DH help get him started by building lab equipment over Thanksgiving holiday. 
  7. Geography:  ????
  8. Christian Studies: I've ordered a book on the New Testament to step our studies up a notch.  I'll probably run "The Bible and Its Influence" first. 
  9. Debate: I don't think we'll be able to do this even though WTM recs it, so I'll try to teach argument skills and doing some oral presentations this year.
  • Like 1

DD6 has done phonics, she read to me, Bible time, writing page and science videos on volcanoes (how to make and watching a real one erupt).  Her reading was on volcanoes. 

She will be doing math and building a paper mache volcano with Dad.

She will read more from her volcano book.

Audiobook "I survived the eruption of Mt. St. Helen's".

A documentary on volcanoes. 

Cleaning the house.

• Like 1