Menu

Oven/range Recommendations - Electric

Pippen

It's time to replace my 1973 Tappan range. I planned to replace it back in the 1990's when we first moved in, but it turned out to be a workhorse at a time when all my friends were going through multiple ranges and repairs. But it has multiple problems now, and it's time to shop for a replacement.

It needs to be electric and freestanding. I originally was just going to replace it with a GE Profile so it would match my other appliances but I'd like to broaden my search beyond that. 

I like the heavy duty feel of my current range. When I looked at the GE's they seemed really flimsy in comparison---flimsy broiler drawer and racks that I'd not feel comfortable putting my big cast iron roasting pan on. 

My kitchen is short on storage space so I use the broiler drawer for storage of cookie sheets. 

Any ideas?

I have a version of this but mine isn't the same.  Having two ovens is a game changer and my kitchen is too small for double wall ovens without serious renovations.  My cooktop is configured differently.  I have the large, super-quick-heat element on the right, with the small one behind it.  On the left are two medium-sized elements that you can use independently, or connect with a heated "bridge' element.  I also have the warming burner.  

I use the smaller oven for everything that fits in it because it heats faster, but I use both at the same time more than I ever thought I would.  Sometimes I cook in the bottom oven and use the top one as a warming drawer.  They both have really low keep-warm temps that are nice for all sorts of things.  I should probably recalibrate it because it seems to cook a bit slower than most recipes assume, but I've never bothered to figure that out and just add about 5 minutes to most cooking times or bump the heat by a few degrees.

I cook with cast iron almost every day and I just shove a bunch of pans in the bottom oven.  You don't have a broiler drawer, but both ovens broil, bake, and keep warm.  The bottom oven has a convection option for all of these settings.  You can also program it to turn on and off when you want.  I've set things to start baking while I was teaching a class (at home) so that by the time I finished and my students left, dinner is ready.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1