Menu

Games of Strategy

Teaching3bears

Why is my 13-year old son so much better than me at games of strategy?  He has been better at most games since the age of 8 or 9.  He is better than my husband too.  When compared with others his age I think he does really well though many are equal to him or a bit better.  I am still much better at word games, trivia games and some games that maybe use more organizational skills than strategy though I wonder if this will change in the future.  

4 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

Why is my 13-year old son so much better than me at games of strategy?  He has been better at most games since the age of 8 or 9.  He is better than my husband too.  When compared with others his age I think he does really well though many are equal to him or a bit better.  I am still much better at word games, trivia games and some games that maybe use more organizational skills than strategy though I wonder if this will change in the future.  

We all have different strengths. However, did he start playing these games at a younger age than you, or more seriously/more often than you did when you were his age?

Yes, he definitely cares more, likes them more and wants to win a lot more. His favorite strategy game is Stratego which we got about a year and a half ago. I can't stand the game and he wins very quickly. Still, he even tries to use strategy to win when we play Scrabble. he does not want to play it without points.

I did not play a lot of games as a child and when I did it was only with other children.

The one that perplexes me though, is Connect-4, where you have to have 4 disks in a row. It is a simple game and I enjoy it. He always, always wins! It's like he can predict all the possible moves in advance.

• Like 1

Have you looked into a Games Convention?   Mensa has their annual one near DFW this April.   There are others, too.  People really into games gather and play games for hours and hours and hours, taking breaks only to quickly eat and short sleeps.  Usually you take new games home with you.  

17 hours ago, Kareni said:

Just out of curiosity, what are some of his favorite games, @Teaching3bears?

Same question for you, @MercyA, concerning your daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

Splendor

Dungeons and Dragons

7 Wonders (Duel version, for 2 players)

Munchkin

Mice and Mystics

Shadowlord (vintage!)

Forbidden Island

Settlers of Catan

ETA: She plays these with my husband, not with me. 😉 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I like to think that the child's mental RAM is not being taken up by thoughts of to do lists, chores, projects we're mulling, dinner ingredients we're realizing we don't have, on and on. 

Or of course the dc is brilliant and more intelligent than us. 

Or I'm slipping mentally. (probably true, haha)

So yeah, I like to think it's just that we have more on our minds. If you drink a pop and free everything from your mind, can you win? Obviously you've been a great teacher if he's able to win against you. :biggrin:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Sounds to me like strong spatial skills. Is he good at things like directions too?

He's not bad at directions but he loves the GPS so he has not had a lot of chance to use that skill.  Interestingly, I have a bad sense of direction which might correlate with my subpar strategy skills?

26 minutes ago, Teaching3bears said:

He's not bad at directions but he loves the GPS so he has not had a lot of chance to use that skill.  Interestingly, I have a bad sense of direction which might correlate with my subpar strategy skills?

I'm just alert to this because dh and ds are opposites for this. Dh is super brilliant and academic and so forth. He has a real gift with language, but is also just generally smart. But he has a serious weakness with visual spatial intelligence where he simply cannot do visual puzzles and cannot tell directions. Left and right are tricky for him, though as an adult he has plenty of strategies. But he used to get lost before GPS so much. He cannot do Sudoku or play chess or win any strategy games. Even things like checkers and Connect Four are things he'd struggle with a bit compared to others. Ds wins that stuff handily. He has a gift for design and layout and things like visual organization systems. He doesn't get lost (though I guess we'll proper see when he gets to driving age next year). On the other hand, the language stuff can be hard for him. He can't do it super fast like dh, that's for sure. He's a slower reader and a slow language processor.

So whenever I hear that someone is good at chess, strategy games, things like Connect Four, etc. then I ask that about directions because they're tied together. I think not being able to do it is a learning disability, but one that's not typically diagnosed if a kid only has that because it's not something you have to do to excel academically most of the time.

May I suggest Laser Khet if I'm right and the visual aspect is what he's good at? It's super complex, a bit like chess. But with LASERS. 

Edited by Farrar
  • Haha 1

I dunno, Farrar. I have a pretty awful sense of direction AND topographical agnosia, I have persistent difficulty telling left from right or remembering which way to turn lightbulbs... but I'm also 100% better at strategy games than the next best person in my family. And only one of them has even a hint of these problems. (The younger kiddo can't tell left from right easily either, which I think is common with dyslexia.)

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 5:15 PM, J-rap said:

Our favorite strategy game is Catan.  There are different versions.  This is probably the one I recommend you start with:

https://www.catan.com/game/catan

That is a good one to start with.  After we played a couple of times, DH said, "I don't think we are playing right because a game doesn't take hours and hours."  

We really love Splendor.  There is just something about collecting gems that really appeals to me. 

On 10/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, Tanaqui said:

I dunno, Farrar. I have a pretty awful sense of direction AND topographical agnosia, I have persistent difficulty telling left from right or remembering which way to turn lightbulbs... but I'm also 100% better at strategy games than the next best person in my family. And only one of them has even a hint of these problems. (The younger kiddo can't tell left from right easily either, which I think is common with dyslexia.)

Interesting. Dh can potentially do okay at something like Dominion or Splendor or 7 Wonders, which don’t have as many visual layout components. But Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Power Grid, chess, even mancala... he’s screwed. He can’t visualize his moves very well. On IQ tests as a kid he’d always do incredibly well except on things like rotate this shape, which he’d have to guess. He still salutes to find left and right. Before GPS, he once got lost coming home from work after having worked there for more than six months. I always think of it as connected.