Menu

What's with the ads?

Arctic Mama

Wow, Kanye’s new album

Placerita Bible Church is what the article said, but they have been bouncing around traveling and have a new home in Wyoming, so they’ve been flying the pastor of that church out once a week for family bible study and discipleship, according to what I’ve read. That could change but it seems to be a good relationship growing and regular accountability, even when they aren’t stationary (which is tricky for a lot of celebs and traveling types).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Placerita Bible Church is what the article said, but they have been bouncing around traveling and have a new home in Wyoming, so they’ve been flying the pastor of that church out once a week for family bible study and discipleship, according to what I’ve read. That could change but it seems to be a good relationship growing and regular accountability, even when they aren’t stationary (which is tricky for a lot of celebs and traveling types).

I Thought it said Placenta Bible Church...

And I thought Catholics had some unusual names...

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

That's a bit insane. I'm very close friends/family with quite a few pastors. I cannot picture any of them flying out somewhere once a week to mentor someone. For one thing, they are waaaaay too busy for that. For another, wherever they have their homes, there are multiple pastors who would be willing to teach/mentor him. Consistency could be met by checking in on FaceTime. 

Again, I really, really hope he is genuine and the pastor who is mentoring him doesn't just want fame from becoming "Kardashian/Kanye adjacent". 

I will put him on my prayer list. He does have a hard road ahead.

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

What church does he go to?  I did a quick Google search but don't have time to find it apparently.

From what I’ve read, his pastor/mentor is a graduate of Master’s, meaning he is a conservative Christian with doctrine that does include a very traditional view of male leadership. I assume this is why KW appears to be attempting to intervene in the matters of his wife’s and daughter’s wardrobe choices.

These are areas I am watching for him to grow in grace. Right now he is an eager acolyte, traveling this learning curve under some mighty   bright spotlights. I hope that he will both make sure he has plenty of non-limelight time for quiet contemplation, and, seek out a number of wise and faithful counselors to come to a true and grace filled understanding of the outworking of his faith (Prov 15:22).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Seasider too said:

From what I’ve read, his pastor/mentor is a graduate of Master’s, meaning he is a conservative Christian with doctrine that does include a very traditional view of male leadership. I assume this is why KW appears to be attempting to intervene in the matters of his wife’s and daughter’s wardrobe choices.

These are areas I am watching for him to grow in grace. Right now he is an eager acolyte, traveling this learning curve under some mighty   bright spotlights. I hope that he will both make sure he has plenty of non-limelight time for quiet contemplation, and, seek out a number of wise and faithful counselors to come to a true and grace filled understanding of the outworking of his faith (Prov 15:22).

Thanks.  I have some real issues with John Macarthur, but I don't doubt his sincerity or his salvation.  My issues with him aren't really for this thread, but I will say that when I met my husband he was attending McArthur's church and I told him I wouldn't go there.   😜 We found a neutral church we could both agree on.

Edited by DawnM
spelling

3 hours ago, unsinkable said:

I Thought it said Placenta Bible Church...

And I thought Catholics had some unusual names...

There is a town called Placentia, that is even closer to placenta.  

Edited by DawnM

The acknowledgement and trying to address this his wife is hypersexualized and he wanted his daughter to follow suit at a different point in his life is hardly some patriarchal legalistic thing.  I assume he will work out a way to navigate it with them both, especially if his wife’s mind is changing on the topic too. I certainly hope he doesn’t grow numb to that again, that’s not grace or God honoring.  

But then again, for all the things I disagree with JMac on, it isn’t anything to do with those areas of doctrine. *shrug* I think most believers, even more liberal ones, would agree that going to public events in deliberately sexual and provocative outfits probably crosses the line, as does dressing up a child like an adult in skimpy clothes and makeup.  That should be a spin-off though 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Thanks.  I have some real issues with John McArthur, but I don't doubt his sincerity or his salvation.  My issues with him aren't really for this thread, but I will say that when I met my husband he was attending McArthur's church and I told him I wouldn't go there.   😜 We found a neutral church we could both agree on.

We likely have much in common but I didn’t want to hijack this thread with that discussion. However, since some have mentioned certain things, I thought it might be helpful to note. (How’s that for some vague language?😂)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

The acknowledgement and trying to address this his wife is hypersexualized and he wanted his daughter to follow suit at a different point in his life is hardly some patriarchal legalistic thing.  I assume he will work out a way to navigate it with them both, especially if his wife’s mind is changing on the topic too. I certainly hope he doesn’t grow numb to that again, that’s not grace or God honoring.  

But then again, for all the things I disagree with JMac on, it isn’t anything to do with those areas of doctrine. *shrug* I think most believers, even more liberal ones, would agree that going to public events in deliberately sexual and provocative outfits probably crosses the line, as does dressing up a child like an adult in skimpy clothes and makeup.  That should be a spin-off though 😉

I agree with much of what you say here, but I do think it’s important to keep in mind that as new believers, people often look for the comfort of a new set of rules to follow as they learn to navigate via grace.  

• Like 2

Just now, Seasider too said:

I agree with much of what you say here, but I do think it’s important to keep in mind that as new believers, people often look for the comfort of a new set of rules to follow as they learn to navigate via grace.  

Of course they do.  That’s not even inherently wrong, on areas the Bible speaks clearly on (modesty and temptation are two such areas). And as a husband and father he does have some pretty direct input into the members of his household, and that’s not even particularly legalistic.  It can become so, but the snippets I’ve seen so far seem pretty in bounds of basic Christian comportment, and since his wife was baptized and made her own testimony public. 

Grace is too often used interchangeably for “libertine free for all”.  I think there are many areas of liberty for a believer, but part of conversion is this process of assessing and changing the things that suddenly prick your conscience that didn’t before.  I’d worry more if he said he was a believer and these things DIDNT change.

SPINOFF TIME if we want to talk about what a crazy legalistic he is becoming 😙

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Of course they do.  That’s not even inherently wrong, on areas the Bible speaks clearly on (modesty and temptation are two such areas). And as a husband and father he does have some pretty direct input into the members of his household, and that’s not even particularly legalistic.  It can become so, but the snippets I’ve seen so far seem pretty in bounds of basic Christian comportment, and since his wife was baptized and made her own testimony public. 

Grace is too often used interchangeably for “libertine free for all”.  I think there are many areas of liberty for a believer, but part of conversion is this process of assessing and changing the things that suddenly prick your conscience that didn’t before.  I’d worry more if he said he was a believer and these things DIDNT change.

SPINOFF TIME if we want to talk about what a crazy legalistic he is becoming 😙

I get ya, but I do believe he may yet need to understand that even if his conscience is pricked, that doesn’t mean others’ i his family are. 

I honestly don’t have the energy to get into a spin-off thread, but I’ll rest in discussing it further here, too. 

• Like 1

Where are people seeing that he ever attended this pastor’s church? My understanding is that he started calling his weekly singing events “Sunday Service” (and tried to trademark the term, which is a whole ‘nother can of worms) and that the guy told him that it wasn’t a worship service because it didn’t include preaching and sacraments so K invited him to preach at them.

4 minutes ago, Danae said:

Where are people seeing that he ever attended this pastor’s church? My understanding is that he started calling his weekly singing events “Sunday Service” (and tried to trademark the term, which is a whole ‘nother can of worms) and that the guy told him that it wasn’t a worship service because it didn’t include preaching and sacraments so K invited him to preach at them.

I linked an article earlier and there are others too.  He visited the church and asked the pastor questions, was questioned in return, and began doing discipleship with him when he was in town.  Then when he began doing the Sunday service thing the pastor helped explain why it wasn’t church but more of a worship time/fellowship gathering, and so now they’re often held after morning services in the area or with preaching included, and though the West fam is mostly in Wyoming the last six months they are still pretty much under this pastor for family bible study and discipleship.  I’m not sure if they’ve found another local church or not since part time moving, but there is consistent oversight and discipleship into his life which is about as good as it gets for someone still traveling frequently.  

I don’t think I’ve heard anything WRT membership with Placerita or elsewhere. As far as marketing and merchandise and such that’s probably always going to be a thing because of the nature of both Kim and Kanye as businesspeople (not my preference but whatever).  I do think discounting his testimony or words because he still does stupid or imperfect things is part of Christian hypocrisy on this, though.  If they get to the point of not marketing and branding anything associated with themselves that would be quite the work of grace, but asking for that whole then criticizing when they DO change things like clothing or music or tweets or whatever seems very... yeah.  Ungracious and speck-inspecting.  Or are we asking all Christian writers, musicians, preachers, and teachers, to not trademark or merchandise anything?  Sigh.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 2

Oh he’s pretty random in general, and definitely speaks in a particular way that sounds a bit grandiose and absolute.  That’s been a thing for, gosh, almost two decades? I haven’t seen more than a few contextless quotes from twitter on that appearance though.

I’m no massive Kanye fan, it cracks me up to be defending or explaining this because as a Christian I’ve watched it carefully, because yeah.  Not really into the Kardashian klan, his music, what have you.  And his personality and mannerisms are nothing I’m particularly fond of, either.  However I am praying for him and have been watching this carefully for months as a believer.  And the content of the album really blew me away in terms of the genuineness and non-heresy contest.  But  Christianity doesn’t erase bipolarity, culture, or habits like talking in absolutes a mile a minute about the next epic thing you don’t follow through on from there 😂

So yeah. My husband keeps laughing at me over this whole thread.  We both hope the very best for this entire family but they’re never going to be our favorite people or any sort of personal role models for us 😜

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh he’s pretty random in general, and definitely speaks in a particular way that sounds a bit grandiose and absolute.  That’s been a thing for, gosh, almost two decades? I haven’t seen more than a few contextless quotes from twitter on that appearance though.

I’m no massive Kanye fan, it cracks me up to be defending or explaining this because as a Christian I’ve watched it carefully, because yeah.  Not really into the Kardashian klan, his music, what have you.  And his personality and mannerisms are nothing I’m particularly fond of, either.  However I am praying for him and have been watching this carefully for months as a believer.  And the content of the album really blew me away in terms of the genuineness and non-heresy contest.  But  Christianity doesn’t erase bipolarity, culture, or habits like talking in absolutes a mile a minute about the next epic thing you don’t follow through on from there 😂

So yeah. My husband keeps laughing at me over this whole thread.  We both hope the very best for this entire family but they’re never going to be our favorite people or any sort of personal role models for us 😜

Well, I admit my knowledge of him is limited to the snippets I see on news shows or what not,  I don’t think I know a single song of his...if I know the song I don’t know he is singing it.  I only watched the James Corbin clip because of this thread. 

I intended to find some of the new music mentioned here to listen to but I got sidetracked.  

I think he speaks very stream of consciousness and as though his mind is moving a mile a minute. He doesn't sound unstable but more like he's trying to say everything he's thinking as he's thinking it. I've thought this for a long time, that his music (whatever iteration) is kind of a distilled, focused version of his thoughts that he can't really communicate clearly while speaking. If you only watch a clip he does sound unhinged, but I watched a long interview of him the other day and there is some method to his madness (so to speak).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, EmseB said:

I think he speaks very stream of consciousness and as though his mind is moving a mile a minute.

That's often how someone in a manic episode sounds. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m no massive Kanye fan, it cracks me up to be defending or explaining this because as a Christian I’ve watched it carefully, because yeah.  Not really into the Kardashian klan 

They have their issues, but they're not the klan, lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

And according to him, previously he was “put into debt by the system”, whatever that means. But now God us using him to show off because he is a Christian. Is the pastor mentoring him a teacher of prosperity theology?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

That's often how someone in a manic episode sounds. 

Right, but I think he just is like that or talks like that. Maybe he tends towards mania, I don't doubt that could be true, and I know he's bipolar,  but any time I've heard him interviewed he has talked like that. 

12 minutes ago, Frances said:

And according to him, previously he was “put into debt by the system”, whatever that means. But now God us using him to show off because he is a Christian. Is the pastor mentoring him a teacher of prosperity theology?

Nope, doesn’t look that way. Given the previous comments on money and his debts and spending habits it sounds like those have radically turned around recently too, so I think this was his Kanye-ish way of crediting God for changing his issues with capital and debt *shrug*

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Right, but I think he just is like that or talks like that. Maybe he tends towards mania, I don't doubt that could be true, and I know he's bipolar,  but any time I've heard him interviewed he has talked like that. 

Every time I hear him talk he does sound manic to me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Every time I hear him talk he does sound manic to me. 

He presents with many of the same symptoms as my BP sibling. I can't believe people are taking this seriously. He is unmedicated and not in his right mind.

• Like 3

Since this is predictably devolving the more time that passes, I will say this:

Those of you claiming to be believers *should* be rejoicing in someone’s testimony and profession of faith, paired with evidence of growth and learning, however imperfect.

Rather than gossiping, speculating on his mental health, insinuating all sorts of things about his motives and plans you cannot possibly know, and looking for any point to criticize or undermine the man, you who claim the mantle of Christ should be assuming his very best motives and praying for him.  That’s what YOU can control, and what God have YOU agency over. Be wise, but hope all things for him and his family and pray that he continues to show growth and fruit.  

The skepticism and criticism and ascribing of motives and conditions is gross coming from the church.  The world can manage that quite well enough, Christian. Sigh.

• Like 3

To be clear, I don't think he is not a Christian because he has an unmedicated illness. I simply worry for him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Those of you claiming to be believers *should* be rejoicing in someone’s testimony and profession of faith, paired with evidence of growth and learning, however imperfect.

Rather than gossiping, speculating on his mental health, insinuating all sorts of things about his motives and plans you cannot possibly know, and looking for any point to criticize or undermine the man, you who claim the mantle of Christ should be assuming his very best motives and praying for him.  That’s what YOU can control, and what God have YOU agency over. Be wise, but hope all things for him and his family and pray that he continues to show growth and fruit.  

The skepticism and criticism and ascribing of motives and conditions is gross coming from the church.  The world can manage that quite well enough, Christian. Sigh.

Small note....I can’t speak for anyone else on this thread but I sure don’t claim to be ‘from the church’.  

As for his motives.....shrug....I won’t begin to say I know.   But I do get twitchy when someone tells me how God has blessed them financially.  All those poor starving and abused children of the world...yeah I guess not so blessed.  

He does seem to be very manic.  And a passionate interest either in or against religion is a common symptom of people with bi-polar.  I have seen my brother swing high and low on that pendulum for about 20 years.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I am part of "the church". I'm not bashing him, I just don't think the evidence is as clear as you think it is. This thread is literally the only time I have ever had a conversation about him. One time, many years ago, I asked my SIL "who are these Kardashion people I keep hearing about? Why are they famous?" She didn't give me a very good answer and I've never had another convo about it until now. I will pray for him since this has been brought to my attention. But other than that, I don't have the space in my brain to concern myself about it.

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

His Christian walk is his Christian walk. However he does it is up to him. As a Christian, I need to concern myself with who I allow to teach, inspire, and serve as a role model for me and mine. That’s an exercise in discernment and part of *my* Christian walk. It is entirely appropriate to scrutinize and question the appropriateness of him as a role model/teacher, let alone the speed and enthusiasm with which he’s being elevated in some circles.

• Like 6

Saw this tonight and had to add in here. Looks like Kanye is coming to Houston for a Joel Osteen service. I cannot fathom the crowd that's going to bring. I mean, it's already a massive congregation to begin with! 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/kanye-west-will-attend-lakewood-church-this-sunday/285-74e32a01-e91c-4872-89e9-ed7b93226438

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Saw this tonight and had to add in here. Looks like Kanye is coming to Houston for a Joel Osteen service. I cannot fathom the crowd that's going to bring. I mean, it's already a massive congregation to begin with! 

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/kanye-west-will-attend-lakewood-church-this-sunday/285-74e32a01-e91c-4872-89e9-ed7b93226438

I admit this has me cringing since I consider Osteen a total heretic, but I’m hooooping it goes better than most or what happens at that building.  *shudder*

You’re right it’s going to be totally packed out though! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I admit this has me cringing since I consider Osteen a total heretic, but I’m hooooping it goes better than most or what happens at that building.  *shudder*

You’re right it’s going to be totally packed out though! 

These two fall very much into the "People I Never Expected to See on a Stage Together" group. I never watch/listen to Osteen, but I might have to tune in for this one. My Aunt goes there though so I'll have to get a first person experience report from her if she makes it in. I wonder if they'll have to ration tickets. According to Wikipedia Lakewood can seat 16,800, but I know for Easter service they've used Minute Maid park (the baseball stadium) before- I don't know if that's an every year thing or what. I'll report back if I see anything else interesting on the local news on it! I mean we've got freezing temperatures and Kayne West coming for Sunday Service- the news casters are probably all about to have heart attacks over the excitement of it all. 

Edited by Æthelthryth the Texan

It's more evidence that the crowd he hopes to win is mostly white evangelicals. I know Osteen's church is more diverse than most white-led churches in the south, but I find the racial dynamics of this whole thing to be not awesome. It seems to me that Kanye and white evangelicals are using each other, neither in healthy ways.

• Like 2

man...Osteen plus his previous comment that smacked of prosperity gospel....not good. Really hope he's not falling down that rabbit hole. 

• Like 4

I was talking about this with my sister- she had a lot of thoughts and opinions but hadn’t listened to the album or read the lyrics.

Listen to it. Read it.  Hear it.

And if you are a Christ follower there should be a great deal of familiarity there in the content no matter your tradition. 

I saw this last week and thought about this thread.

(Then I forgot about it again until I saw Kanye West back on the first page of WTM again.)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/entertainment/kanye-west-genius-billionaire-trnd/index.html

Artist and designer Kanye West has thrown out a new name idea and, honestly, it's hard to tell if he's joking.

In a surprise appearance at the 2019 Fast Company Innovation Festival, West suggested that he may legally change his name to "Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West" for a little bit.
"When people say it's crass to call yourself a billionaire, I might legally change my name to Christian Genius Billionaire Kanye West for a year until y'all understand exactly what it is," he told Fast Company senior writer Mark Wilson.
  • Confused 2

19 hours ago, Farrar said:

It's more evidence that the crowd he hopes to win is mostly white evangelicals. I know Osteen's church is more diverse than most white-led churches in the south, but I find the racial dynamics of this whole thing to be not awesome. It seems to me that Kanye and white evangelicals are using each other, neither in healthy ways.

From a purely commercial standpoint, he has as much credibility and influence in the black community as POTUS. So, yeah...follow your crowd. This is the prevailing sentiment.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/opinion/2019/11/white-evangelicals-new-love-for-kanye-is-as-much-about-trump-as-jesus.html%3foutputType=amp

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

From a purely commercial standpoint, he has as much credibility and influence in the black community as POTUS. So, yeah...follow your crowd. This is the prevailing sentiment.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/opinion/2019/11/white-evangelicals-new-love-for-kanye-is-as-much-about-trump-as-jesus.html%3foutputType=amp

Wow. That’s a very enlightening read, especially about the relationship between other Black Christian performers and white evangelicals.

• Thanks 1

RE the article I’ve been a fan of rap for years - been to Lecrae concert and so on and listened to Kanye for years.  I’m very familiar with the Lecrae situation but assume most aren’t.  

I was very present in and aware of the Lecrae drama.  It’s not as simple as he states.  Maybe that’s all he sees is the bottom line.  How he said what he said seemed to be an issue.  I don’t disagree with him AT ALL in case it matters.  He also left a Christian label and more people had an issue with the statement he was making with that move.  He redefined himself quite a bit and his music changed and took a political and backlash to Christian position whereas before he wrote simply to promote God.  The Christians I know (not evangelicals necessarily) were upset Lecrae no longer wrote about faith and God like he used to.  That’s all part of it.  I’m frustrated he simplified to politics.  

I don’t know of a single evangelical who LOVES Kanye now.  Do they celebrate because he is an unusual and high profile new believer? Yes.  Absolutely.  So do I!  I’ve seen MUCH more disbelief, Judgment  and criticism of him from evangelicals than love and worship.  We follow God and worship God- not pop culture.  That is , ironically, one of the main themes of Kanye’s album (for those who endlessly discuss but don’t actually listen to it).  He tried to follow And listen to culture- he knows follows And listens to God. 

I do not in any way shape or form think Kanye, like any of us, is perfect.  I haven’t found a single Christ follower who is even remotely close. He has a long list of flaws and broken places, just like me.  That doesn’t discredit him from having valid beliefs and faith.  Not does having a publically known mental illness. 

I am not a fan of sweeping generalizations that lump me in because of the color of skin, my socioeconomic status and my religious beliefs.  I’m very very actually tired of it.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LarlaB said:

RE the article I’ve been a fan of rap for years - been to Lecrae concert and so on and listened to Kanye for years.  I’m very familiar with the Lecrae situation but assume most aren’t.  

I was very present in and aware of the Lecrae drama.  It’s not as simple as he states.  Maybe that’s all he sees is the bottom line.  How he said what he said seemed to be an issue.  I don’t disagree with him AT ALL in case it matters.  He also left a Christian label and more people had an issue with the statement he was making with that move.  He redefined himself quite a bit and his music changed and took a political and backlash to Christian position whereas before he wrote simply to promote God.  The Christians I know (not evangelicals necessarily) were upset Lecrae no longer wrote about faith and God like he used to.  That’s all part of it.  I’m frustrated he simplified to politics.  

I don’t know of a single evangelical who LOVES Kanye now.  Do they celebrate because he is an unusual and high profile new believer? Yes.  Absolutely.  So do I!  I’ve seen MUCH more disbelief, Judgment  and criticism of him from evangelicals than love and worship.  We follow God and worship God- not pop culture.  That is , ironically, one of the main themes of Kanye’s album (for those who endlessly discuss but don’t actually listen to it).  He tried to follow And listen to culture- he knows follows And listens to God. 

I do not in any way shape or form think Kanye, like any of us, is perfect.  I haven’t found a single Christ follower who is even remotely close. He has a long list of flaws and broken places, just like me.  That doesn’t discredit him from having valid beliefs and faith.  Not does having a publically known mental illness. 

I am not a fan of sweeping generalizations that lump me in because of the color of skin, my socioeconomic status and my religious beliefs.  I’m very very actually tired of it.  

This is largely the same shut up and sing/dance/perform message that’s been sent to other black gospel artists who speak on social issues. The fact remains that the Mistrust/distrust of those singing Kanye’s praises comes from a legitimate place. The white and black Christian communities rarely see eye to eye on these issues.

Edited by Sneezyone

I have not listened to his album but read lyrics. 

I'm more concerned by multiple comments that, when taken with him going to Osteen's church, seem to align with word of faith/prosperity gospel theology heresy. I hate to see anyone, but particularly someone influential, fall into that abyss.