Menu

Update on weight

Murphy101

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s wonderful!  What finally made it click for you in terms of habits/diet?

It wasn’t one thing. Some may remember I started packing weight on about 12 years ago, lost that weight 6 years ago doing Whole30 and Walk Away the Pounds DVDs.

Then life kinda fell apart for a lot of reasons beyond my control. My health got sidelined  and my emotions started deciding my meals, and the weight creeped back. Dammit.

So I decided I’d do what worked last time. And it did work, but it gets harder with age. I have had numerous appointments to refine my thyroid and Bvit and D vit and so forth. I’ve hard to work a LOT harder to lose weight this time. No longer was a 30 minute dvd once a day enough. It got me going, but the returns weren’t as quick or great. Whole30 worked, but again, not as quick or great. The last 2 months I had to really get brutal. And honestly, if I had not done healthy wage, I wouldn’t have. I’d have kept gently chipping away. But I wanna win money!!

A Fitbit and friends that both cheer and prod have been very helpful. I walk 20-25k steps every day except Sunday. I do muscle work twice a week. My diet is very strict and simple. But I like it that way. Stressing over exchanges and calories makes me feel like giving up. I’d rather just make a menu of 3 meals a day and eat the same thing every day. For example:

B - Couple boiled eggs,  1lb of steamed broccoli, Plexus Slim with water.  
L - 4oz of roasted chicken skinless with 8-10 oz seasoned fresh green beans. Plexus hunger control with water. 
D - roasted or poached mahi-mahi with 3 oz plain sweet Potawatomi (eta that should be potatos! LOL)

If I need a snack, it might be 3oz of fresh blueberries or a 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes or a pkg of sugar snap peas. 

notes - Strict whole 30 would not permit Plexus and I honestly can’t afford it and have never bought it. But a good friend felt like it helped her get over a plateau so when I hit my plateau 3 months ago, she bought me a 6 month supply of the slim drink, the hunger control drink, probiotics and bio cleanse all of which I’ve used faithfully every day since and I think have helped.  That said, no matter how helpful it is, I personally can’t afford it. My friend is an amazing and generous soul I don’t deserve to call friend but am very grateful for!

3 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

congrats!!!!  
Tell us more about HealthWage!  

The website is the same as the name. You go to it and enter your basic info. Age, gender, weight, height. Then you can play with the deal maker by putting in various numbers for how much you want to lose, how many months you want to take to lose it, and how much you want to pay every month. For each set of numbers, you’ll get a bet option.

For example, I decided I want to lose 57lbs in 11 months with payments of $60 a month.  If I win, I win $2200, a $1540 profit. If I lose then I get nothing, same as if I’d spent $60 on a gym membership. 😆 You do a 30-45 second video to weigh in to start and it’s the same procedure to weight in to win, which you can do 2 weeks prior to and up to your bet ending date. 

You can chose PayPal which takes a percentage of your winnings or you can have them mail you a check.

Several of my friends have already gotten their checks. But they bet on less to lose than me. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Health Wage sounds very motivating! I'm going to check into this! DH and I are finally doubling down and getting serious about losing weight. We are both at an all time high and getting older every day. We've been hard at it for 19 days and have lost 20lbs each. Thus far, it hasn't been too hard because we are really in the right mind set. I dread the first plateau. It will be a true test. But so far so good. I am grumpy today due to PMS, so DH handed me a 20lb dumbbell. When I asked why, he reminded me that this was how much weight I had lost. I am just flabbergasted. It was heavy. I can't believe I'm walking around with all that weight. I'm pissed off at myself and am marveled at the amazing human body. 🙂 

Anyhow, congratulations! That's wonderful and inspirational!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, aggie96 said:

Health Wage sounds very motivating! I'm going to check into this! DH and I are finally doubling down and getting serious about losing weight. We are both at an all time high and getting older every day. We've been hard at it for 19 days and have lost 20lbs each. Thus far, it hasn't been too hard because we are really in the right mind set. I dread the first plateau. It will be a true test. But so far so good. I am grumpy today due to PMS, so DH handed me a 20lb dumbbell. When I asked why, he reminded me that this was how much weight I had lost. I am just flabbergasted. It was heavy. I can't believe I'm walking around with all that weight. I'm pissed off at myself and am marveled at the amazing human body. 🙂 

Anyhow, congratulations! That's wonderful and inspirational!

Right?! I’m like how the heck did I carry all that weight? No wonder I was tired and moody and achy!

• Like 2

That is fantastic.  I am trying to figure out what will work for me.  I am just not as willing to be hungry as I was in my 20s when I wanted to be thin more than anything.  But I have had some health issues recently and the doctor is putting me on a far more rigid diet and I need to get it together.

• Like 1

Social outings are the worst.  I rarely do any that require eating. I had one a couple months ago at an Italian restaurant so I basicly didn’t eat all day so I could eat at least a little there.  Ended up being awful so I only ate the green beans. Because I will not waste good calories on bad food anymore. It has to be worth it. I have a big deal black tie event to attend on nov 1st and I’ll be very selective about what I eat. I don’t get to choose the meal. At least the main dish is supposed to be some form of grilled chicken. Hopefully not covered in a dairy sauce with pasta.  But I’ll pick what I can have knowing I’m going to go off road a bit and not worry about it bc I’m not there for the food anyways. It takes a lot of repetition of that reminder to make it easier and more natural and less feeling deprived and awkward.  Now if anyone comments I just say I’m not that hungry and change the topic. And most of the time it’s true bc I always eat before going to social events.

• Like 5

Congratulations.  I wish you every success in keeping it off.  I've gained/lost 25lbs twice in my life - the last time the weight went on with menopause.  I tell people I'm on a perpetual diet because it goes on easy and comes off hard.  Next time you are in Walmart or Target or a pet store, pick up two 25lbs bags of dog food or rice or bird seed or something.  It is amazing to think about carrying around all that extra weight. 

1 hour ago, Sue in St Pete said:

Congratulations.  I wish you every success in keeping it off.  I've gained/lost 25lbs twice in my life - the last time the weight went on with menopause.  I tell people I'm on a perpetual diet because it goes on easy and comes off hard.  Next time you are in Walmart or Target or a pet store, pick up two 25lbs bags of dog food or rice or bird seed or something.  It is amazing to think about carrying around all that extra weight. 

I can carry my 3 yr old now without pain or exhaustion. Losing 60lbs of dead weight suddenly makes the 28lb 3 yr old a light weight to manage. 

• Like 2

This a fabulous thread! Thanks for sharing. DH once had great success losing weight when he did a "Biggest Loser" challenge with a coworker, complete with $$ prize. He was super motivated. Now (13 years later) he's regained the weight (and some) and is struggling to get serious about it.  I bet he'd love the site you mentioned!

I’m not sure yet but I think the biggest factor to maintaining the loss is to just accept that this is no a diet or an exercise program. It’s just my new daily life reality. And to surround myself with people who are supportive of that. Friends that will go walking with me at 5am or 9pm when I’m down and struggling. Regular dr appts to maintain nutrients and hormones and get feedback about weight. My dr hates me but I don’t care. LOL He says he shouldn’t have to adjust my dosages every 4-6 months but I insist I don’t want to wait a year to feel my best and to struggle with moods and weight and energy more than I have to. I’m not getting younger and I know from experience that 6-12 months can pack some weight and allows things to slowly snowball into bigger issues.  

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

B - Couple boiled eggs,  1lb of steamed broccoli, Plexus Slim with water.  
L - 4oz of roasted chicken skinless with 8-10 oz seasoned fresh green beans. Plexus hunger control with water. 
D - roasted or poached mahi-mahi with 3 oz plain sweet Potawatomi (eta that should be potatos! LOL)

If I need a snack, it might be 3oz of fresh blueberries or a 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes or a pkg of sugar snap peas. 

Do you know approximately how many calories you are eating each day?  I'm concerned because it seems like your calorie intake is very low especially with your activity level.  Maybe I'm just overreacting because I've had eating disorders for my whole life.

Like you, eating out can be a nightmare for me because I only want my safe foods at home.  We went to a family wedding last year and even the foods I would consider eating were swimming in butter so I ate nothing and got so much grief over it.  I just said that my stomach was upset and didn't want to make it worse by eating, but not eating attracted a lot of unwanted and uncomfortable attention.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

Do you know approximately how many calories you are eating each day?  I'm concerned because it seems like your calorie intake is very low especially with your activity level.  Maybe I'm just overreacting because I've had eating disorders for my whole life.

not eating attracted a lot of unwanted and uncomfortable attention.  

To start with I did not track calories as I ate  or weigh my food. If I was eating the right thing, that was good enough for me and saw results. I did keep ballpark track via My Fitness Pal and my calories were always 1000-1400. Keeping in mind that menu doesn’t show the use of coconut or olive oil, real butter or Avacados - which packs a lot of good fat calories.  After my plataeu, I sat at 165 for a month without weight or inches change, and I have the wage timer ticking, so I kept up my walking but removed all muscle training and cut my fat. For the last month my calories have been around 800-1000, I added B12 and Bcomplex shots every week (which is added to my daily supplements like C, D, multi) and made sure I got more sleep.  Which for ME is not harmful in any way and only temporary. This broke my plateau and has gotten me on track to at least have a chance to win my healthy wage.  Without the wager, I would have taken a slower approach and I’ll revert back to that slower approach once I win it next month.

Keep in mind that:

The menu doesn’t show added fats like the olive oil the mahi is pan seared in. Or that I could pour butter on my broccoli. Likewise it was no big deal to adjust it without those fats to trim cals temporarily.

You cannot muscle train and lose weight on calories less than 1200. It takes fats and proteins to build muscle and it weighs more per inch. So if you try, you’ll plateau just like I did.  Without the wager issue, I’d have instead added calories to accommodate the added muscle needs. Which is what I’ll do after I win. 

I’m no expert, but I think good supplements are vital to anyone.  If you body is getting plenty of water and plenty of nutrients, it is a lot easier to manage cravings and reduced calories. And it helps with mood and stamina. 

And again I am no expert but I’ve spent a lot of time with them this year. Seek good ones who care about your health and your goals, in that order.  The second I went in with a deadline, they came in two deep to discuss my mentality behind it.  LOL Nothing I’ve done is without the guidance of a reputable doctor.  I highly recommend seeking the advice of several for your own situation bc what works for me isn’t for everyone. It wasn’t even something that would have always work for me. 

I try to always eat a little something when out if possible, but yeah even not eating everything attracts attention no matter what I do. So does not drinking alcohol or not eating desserts.  I just change the subject and move on asap. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I just wanted to let you s thread made me dream about you last night.  Lol

It was all about your vacation and diet.  

Oh! Was it a happy one? Did you go scuba diving or snorkeling with me and then eat amazing food and enjoy the lights on evening walks around Willemstad?  Bc if not, it wasn’t me or my planned vacation. 👙🎏

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Oh! Was it a happy one? Did you go scuba diving or snorkeling with me and then eat amazing food and enjoy the lights on evening walks around Willemstad?  Bc if not, it wasn’t me or my planned vacation. 👙🎏

Yes it was happy.  Lol.  But I didn’t have that level of detail.  I have no idea where Willemstad is.  Off to Google. 

8 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I have gained 20 pounds since I got married 9 years ago.  I also blame menopause.  I am reading and re reading Murphy’s thread because I really need to get at least 10 pounds off.

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I have gained 20 pounds since I got married 9 years ago.  I also blame menopause.  I am reading and re reading Murphy’s thread because I really need to get at least 10 pounds off.

The menopause has made this exponentially harder than the first time and it’s made me even more determined to keep it off.  No way I want to go through this again. 

7 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

Congratulations! You are amazing!!

Losing weight is such a mental battle for me and it has only gotten more difficult as I have gotten older so I very much admire your determination. You must feel so great!!

I do feel great but I just have to say that this is damned hard.  It is NOT just in your head that it's hard.  And I did not do this on my own.  It took teamwork and investing some $ to get me here and it'll take teamwork to keep me here.  I've commented many times irl that I don't know how people do it when they don't have professional advice, friends to encourage, and a supportive family.  And then there's outside factors.  I spend roughly 2 hours a day on just losing weight.  Walking, food prep, muscle work, dr appts, making sure I take my supplements and water 4 x a day. I'm not sure I could have done it if I had a sedentary 8 hour office job plus sitting in the car commuting.  As it was, I often find it a hard balance to just manage homeschooling and taxi kid service.  There's a reason I get up at 5am and it is NOT bc I'm a morning person.  It's the only way I can add a solid 10k in steps to my day bc once everyone else is up and we are at the table doing math or in the van going wherever, I don't have another block until after 8:30pm and I want to be in bed by 10 bc lack of sleep affects weight too.  

My point is not to discourage you.  It's to encourage you to make a team that will support you and encourage you, because it is hard.  Don't think it's hard because you are weak or whatever else crap.  It's hard because it's hard.  We aren't created to do hard things alone.  Or anything else alone for that matter. /end of soapbox 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I do feel great but I just have to say that this is damned hard.  It is NOT just in your head that it's hard.  And I did not do this on my own.  It took teamwork and investing some $ to get me here and it'll take teamwork to keep me here.  I've commented many times irl that I don't know how people do it when they don't have professional advice, friends to encourage, and a supportive family.  And then there's outside factors.  I spend roughly 2 hours a day on just losing weight.  Walking, food prep, muscle work, dr appts, making sure I take my supplements and water 4 x a day. I'm not sure I could have done it if I had a sedentary 8 hour office job plus sitting in the car commuting.  As it was, I often find it a hard balance to just manage homeschooling and taxi kid service.  There's a reason I get up at 5am and it is NOT bc I'm a morning person.  It's the only way I can add a solid 10k in steps to my day bc once everyone else is up and we are at the table doing math or in the van going wherever, I don't have another block until after 8:30pm and I want to be in bed by 10 bc lack of sleep affects weight too.  

My point is not to discourage you.  It's to encourage you to make a team that will support you and encourage you, because it is hard.  Don't think it's hard because you are weak or whatever else crap.  It's hard because it's hard.  We aren't created to do hard things alone.  Or anything else alone for that matter. /end of soapbox 🙂

I love your whole post but thank you for saying this specifically (the bolded) - it really is important to remember because I think we are conditioned to think the main problem is not trying hard enough. 🤨

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly TMI of a marital sexual nature! 

Updating that I won my wage! Super excited to plan what fun I’m going to have with my winnings!  I got up to pee at 2:30am and decided to weigh in, was super bummed to be 144.4, exactly .1 ounce from my win goal. Really?! Are you kidding me?! So I crawled into bed pouting and dh asked how far off I was.  When I told him, he said he could work that off me - and he did! Got up an hour later and was getting ready to get dressed and decided to weigh again - shouted 143.1! And dh of course claimed to be quite proud of his 1.2lb contribution and helped video my official weigh in at 4:30 in the morning. Then he went back to bed and I went on a walk and then showered and am now all packed and ready to fly to Curacao tonight for a scuba/snorkel vacay with 2 of my best friends.

I’m a happier healthier woman today thanks in no small part to this weight loss journey. I’m going to keep tracking my food and walking and swimming and ice skating.  I don’t want to gain it back and I know it will take vigilance to avoid that. 

B2E59268-A312-4426-977A-72D5A0A9D0DC.jpeg

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jentrovert said:

Congratulations! 

I'm imagining if weight loss worked like that. If I could lose a pound per cup of TeA . . . I can just see it now. "Come on honey, you can do it, only 25 more pounds to go!" 🙊🤣🤣🤣

Well any excuse will do for my dh so...😊

• Haha 1