Menu

Accepted to present at a conference!!!

I just received notice of being accepted to do a poster presentation at a big conference! I will be working with my student partner on creating and presenting the poster, and the two of us will go to the conference in Toronto. The agency we did the the program evaluation for will pay for everything (hotel, travel, conference registration, cost to print poster). It's a really sweet deal for poor students! 

I'm so excited! The program and speakers will be amazing. It's only one day, but we'll travel the day before.  The nice thing about a poster is that we don't have to get up and talk in front of the audience, rather we can engage with individuals actually interested in our work. 

• Like 5

Congratulations! What does it mean to present a poster? Is there a display area or is it in some kind of session? Getting it all paid for makes it even sweeter!

I presented a paper at a conference last year and I'm waiting to hear if I'll get to do it again. It was a great experience, and I really can't recommend it highly enough. I hope your conference is equally beneficial to you!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, Mom22ns said:

Congratulations! What does it mean to present a poster? Is there a display area or is it in some kind of session? Getting it all paid for makes it even sweeter!

I presented a paper at a conference last year and I'm waiting to hear if I'll get to do it again. It was a great experience, and I really can't recommend it highly enough. I hope your conference is equally beneficial to you!

There are limited presentations at workshops at this particular one-day conference. There will be an area set up with large poster displays of research, program evaluations, and other work in the field. Everyone who wants to present sends in an abstract of their work and the conference organizers invite those abstracts that fit best with their theme, attendees, and overall areas of interest in the field. We'll have up to 6' x 3' of poster area to cover. We don't have to stay by the poster all day as there are designated times when people are encouraged to look and talk with the researchers. 

I've done a couple presentations in the past, both oral and poster. The poster is less stressful, but you don't reach as large an audience, I don't think. I'm really hoping that there will be a lot of people who come and talk to me. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...