Menu

What Adobe program for future Graphic Designer

My dd has been using Procreate forever, but she is seeing TONS of tutorials that use Adobe products.  It seems like most of the tutorials she wants to use, use Adobe Photoshop and many of the colleges she wants to go to all use Adobe as well.

She has some questions for the HIVE:

1.  Does anyone know if Adobe Photoshop can be used on the Ipad Pro?

2.  If she uses it on Ipad, can she also sign into the same account on her Mac?

3.  She was asking about a student discount but if it's difficult to get the discount, I'd rather not even bother.

4.  Can anyone share a link to what is probably the correct version for Mac and/or Ipad pro?

1. There's a scaled down version for iPad... not sure about iPad Pro.

2. Yes, Adobe accounts are the same across the board.

3. It's very easy to get the discount. I had to upload our homeschool verification letter, IIRC. That was it. They didn't question it.

4. Dunno... But since it's a subscription product, it's not like you'll get the "wrong" one. It'll update.

Adobe is a subscription product. You'll get access via the Adobe account. I would suggest, since she wants to go into design and she's a junior anyway, right? Just get the subscription to all of Creative Cloud. It's like $20 a month for the student rate. You can also get photoshop solo, but I'm not sure what the price is with the student rate or if you can even do the student rate without the whole suite. The regular rate for just Photoshop is more than $200 a year.

Since she's likely going to college for design, she should probably get Adobe and start learning it. However, we really love all the Affinity products and have now let our expensive Adobe subscription go bye bye. They have almost all the capability of the comparable Adobe products, are a bit easier for newbies, and are just $50 each forever - no need to keep paying monthly/yearly like Adobe. My teen designer is a big fan.

• Like 2

1. Not completely, see this article for details. 

2. Yes

3. We used edu email for discount. 

4. You buy your subscription and then download the various products, I seem to recall it was really obvious. 

As long as she's using a robust program, she doesn't necessarily need Adobe right now, many of the skills will transfer and she will just have to learn how the new program specifically does things. My dd didn't get the subscription until she was actually in college (the subscription her art department has requires you to work on those specific computers, so having your own is a huge plus). Of course, it does make life easier if you know specifics of the program going in! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

1. Not completely, see this article for details. 

2. Yes

3. We used edu email for discount. 

4. You buy your subscription and then download the various products, I seem to recall it was really obvious. 

As long as she's using a robust program, she doesn't necessarily need Adobe right now, many of the skills will transfer and she will just have to learn how the new program specifically does things. My dd didn't get the subscription until she was actually in college (the subscription her art department has requires you to work on those specific computers, so having your own is a huge plus). Of course, it does make life easier if you know specifics of the program going in! 

Thanks guys! I don't know, she's really frugal so now she's thinking of not getting it.  🙂 It's  not so much that she wanted to prepare, but that so many of the tutorials on youtube for certain types of art use Adobe.  And it's wonky to use Procreate while using an Adobe tutorial.  You could do it but it's annoying.  

We will see what she decides but at least now we understand! 

If she wants to save money but take a step up from Procreate, I’d get Affinity Designer. Definitely worth the price and is much cheaper than Adobe with no recurring costs, but will be a real step up. All the Affinity products have great support. And they have ipad and computer versions.

Just my take, but this is a school price I pay for my kid. I don’t make him spend his money on it. It’s a core skillset for a designer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Just my take, but this is a school price I pay for my kid. I don’t make him spend his money on it. It’s a core skillset for a designer.

I worded my post that my dd got the subscription, but yeah, I paid for it, lol. She was in college by then, but I think I would have paid for it in high school as well had she wanted it. It's expensive but honestly much less expensive than the piano lessons and such that her sister had, and we've definitely paid more for certain college texts and subscriptions in other classes. So if a family does have a budget for camps and lessons and books, I would let them choose this just as much as anything else. 

• Like 2