Menu

Erica Meltzer is to ACT English

8 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

For Love of ACT Science or there is a free YouTube science thing that has been linked before. I haven't tried the Youtube one but I did use the linked book, above.

(For the record, my eldest did not improve with Erica Meltzer. Too early to tell for #2.)

If I remember right your daughter is strong on English to begin with though, correct? My mathy son improved a lot when we went through the English book. We didn't work so much on math other than practice tests to improve speed and accuracy under pressure since he knew the material. My next child is a natural English Child but has to somehow do ok at least on the math, somehow. Fun times. 🙂 

Ha! Eldest would say her worst language is English! Her science score ended up being her worst (but she improved it like 5 pts from one administering to another). She saw the most improvement with a writing class that went over grammar stuff as one small part of the class. That and me making her take multiple practice tests.

Next kid would like big movement in math & modest improvements everywhere else.

• Like 1

Nothing beats practicing the actual tests at home. A good tip we picked up recently is to cut out the problems that were answered wrong or unsure about and try to find a pattern. Sometimes there is none. And sometimes it is clear, like probabilities, in our case. But it is important to go over every problem (unless it's a very obvious one) and understand what is being asked and the concept behind it. It takes time but is invaluable.

And then there is mechanics of the test , so by doing timed tests at home, my DD figured out that she is speeding through first half of the math section, then slows down, thinking she has time and inevitably runs out of time on the last 3 to 4 problems. Solution: no slowing down in the middle. But none of it would be obvious if she hasn't done timed tests. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...