Menu

What's with the ads?

Pen

Non dairy creamer / morning hot drinks

I’m trying to not use dairy, but, especially as weather is getting cold, I really like to have a morning hot drink, and I really like milk or half and half in it.  (For coffee, tea, and cocoa) I’ve tried several alternatives and am so fat not very happy with them.  I am also not able to use soy or anything with wheat or gluten.   

So far my best but still not really right seeming alternative creamer has been a barista blend almond milk and some MCT powder. 

My best non cream needing beverage has been hot cinnamon/ginger herbal tea. 

But I really would like coffee or tea with real dairy creamer.  

Suggestions?  For either a good hot drink for mornings that isn’t harsh on stomach without milk, or for an excellent nondairy creamer thing? 

No actual suggestions other than to look carefully when considering any “non-dairy” creamers.  I can’t remember what brand (maybe Int’l Delight?), but I was so happy that my creamer (circa 2011) said “non-dairy” on the botttle, because I was trying to breastfeed an MSPI baby.  It turned out, milk proteins were in the ingredients of that “non-dairy” creamer. 😠 

Things like almond/chestnut/hemp milk aren’t likely to have the same issue. It’s just that my hide is still chapped about the disconnect between what I thought of as “non-dairy” and what manufactures do, or at least did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How is any milk protein non-dairy?  That’s awful, and how you get someone hurt who has food allergies!

Ive been using macadamia nut milk because I can’t have coconut, soy, or almond due to sensitivities.  It’s actually pretty good!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

How is any milk protein non-dairy?  That’s awful, and how you get someone hurt who has food allergies!

Ive been using macadamia nut milk because I can’t have coconut, soy, or almond due to sensitivities.  It’s actually pretty good!

Well, I’m too lazy to go downstairs to check my actual coffee creamer, but I have a bottle of Muscle Milk up here.  It says “Non Dairy Protein Shake”. At the very bottom, it says “Contains no milk/Includes milk proteins”.   I don’t get it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Well, I’m too lazy to go downstairs to check my actual coffee creamer, but I have a bottle of Muscle Milk up here.  It says “Non Dairy Protein Shake”. At the very bottom, it says “Contains no milk/Includes milk proteins”.   I don’t get it.

What they’re basically saying is that it doesn’t have the milk sugars, like lactose, which lactose intolerant people generally can’t have.  But it is not safe for people with milk allergies, which tends to be to whey/casein, etc.  The proteins aren’t usually what bother someone with digestive issues, but they’re exactly what cause problems for allergy folks.

It’s complex, and just proves why detailed labels matter very much!

• Like 2

It's pricey, but Nutpods original is the only non-dairy creamer I like for black tea. I use it in coffee and cappuccino, too, and it froths up nicely. But my main criteria for a good non-dairy creamer is how it tasted in black tea, and so far only Nutpods passed that test. I was a pure half and half only person before I switched. I prefer the shelf stable cartons over the refrigerated ones - those have a stronger coconut taste, but the shelf-stable are more neutral tasting. Supposedly Walmart will be carrying a 32 oz shelf stable carton, which should make it more reasonable. I'm paying 2.75 - 3.99 for the small carton, I think it's 11 oz. I go through 5 a week!! ( I like light tea and coffee)

• Like 2

I have been having my morning coffee with Aldis plain almond milk and cinnamon.  It is the only thing I can put in my coffee that does not make my stomach hurt.  My other favorite hot beverage is chai tea with honey and almond milk.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 1

There are coconut based creamers on the market that aren't bad.  I have friends with various sensitivities and this is one they can all have (nut free, dairy free).  I don't use creamer but my oldest does and he didn't think there was anything weird about it. 

• Like 1

Not a cream, but I make a dirty vanilla chai, using about 6 oz of coffee and then filling the rest of the cup (it's a biiig cup lol) with water. Then I add a Bigelow Vanilla chai tea bag and pop it in the microwave (tp heat the now-cooled coffee) for about a minute. I love it! Lots of flavor. 

The only problem is I now am out of this kind of tea and have to wait til someone can bring me some!

• Like 1

Coconut milk is great, and there are different levels of fat you can purchase depending on your tastes. 

Oat milk in the store was alright, but gets expensive for what it is. My home-made stuff was horrible for leaving too much sediment in the liquid. I did use gluten-free oats, though, so I knew it was alright in that regard. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Coconut milk tastes of.... Coconut though. Oatmilk is more milder in taste. Aldi here is stocking up oatmilk for half the price of other suppliers.

• Like 1

I've purchased So Delicious French Vanilla coconut milk creamer many times and been happy with it. It also comes in Original and Caramel flavors. It looks like So Delicious also makes oat milk creamers--Snickerdoodle, Original, and Vanilla.

Coffeemate now makes a coconut milk creamer as well--Natural Bliss Sweet Creme. This brand may be easier to find at non-speciality stores.

• Like 1

I drink my coffee with a mixture of plain unsweetened almond milk (such Almond Breeze) with Silk's caramel almond creamer. Both are gluten-free and dairy-free.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 11:08 AM, dsmith said:

It's pricey, but Nutpods original is the only non-dairy creamer I like for black tea. I use it in coffee and cappuccino, too, and it froths up nicely. But my main criteria for a good non-dairy creamer is how it tasted in black tea, and so far only Nutpods passed that test. I was a pure half and half only person before I switched. I prefer the shelf stable cartons over the refrigerated ones - those have a stronger coconut taste, but the shelf-stable are more neutral tasting. Supposedly Walmart will be carrying a 32 oz shelf stable carton, which should make it more reasonable. I'm paying 2.75 - 3.99 for the small carton, I think it's 11 oz. I go through 5 a week!! ( I like light tea and coffee)

This is my suggestion, too. This is the only creamer replacement I’ve found that’s actually creamy and doesn’t taste like coconut. I order 4-packs of the small carton off of amazon for about $14 and go through one a week (2 cups of coffee a morning). I’m currently enjoying their pumpkin spice flavor but always keep the original on hand. 

• Like 1

Coconut milk may be a good choice but you don't want that calorie and fat content. Almond milk has fewer calories, it's good as long as you prefer nutty over creamy taste. 

• Like 1

Rice milk. At my stores it is found right with the soy/almond milks. I can't do dairy or soy, and both coconut milk and almond have too much flavor for me. When I want to splurge I add a spoonful of Ovaltine for a chocolaty richness.

• Like 1

I guess I will need to experiment.  I have had trouble with the replacements for milk separating into little curdle like things.  The Barista blends not so bad.  

On 10/24/2019 at 5:21 AM, HomeAgain said:

There are coconut based creamers on the market that aren't bad.  I have friends with various sensitivities and this is one they can all have (nut free, dairy free).  I don't use creamer but my oldest does and he didn't think there was anything weird about it. 

The one from Trader Joe’s is tasty. But it does have sugar, in case you need to avoid that. 

The Califia brand oat milk is labeled gluten free. It’s okay for home use but to me the oat milk option tastes better when it’s steamed at an espresso bar I visit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

The one from Trader Joe’s is tasty. But it does have sugar, in case you need to avoid that. 

Yep. I’m avoiding sugar too.  

4 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

The Califia brand oat milk is labeled gluten free. It’s okay for home use but to me the oat milk option tastes better when it’s steamed at an espresso bar I visit. 

I got a cappuccino made with hemp milk at an espresso bar that was pretty good, but yeah, they had steamers and frothers. 

Yesterday I had an iced fruit and protein smoothie instead.  Total opposite concept not hot. Totally different taste profile. 

I have this same struggle. While doing Whole 30, I do a blended cashew coffee that's really good, but uses quite a bit of cashews. I've made a homemade cashew cream that I love in coffee. I've wanted to do Nutpods, but haven't been able to make myself love them. I think I may revisit those because I'm pretty sure I'm having issues with dairy, and I don't have much of it, but DO love heavy cream in my coffee (I buy organic, grass-fed though - you'd think it wouldn't bother me).

But there's also that part of me that figures if I can't have my coffee taste how I want it to, I need to just quit drinking it. Of course, that's a whole 'nuther thing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

I have this same struggle. While doing Whole 30, I do a blended cashew coffee that's really good, but uses quite a bit of cashews. I've made a homemade cashew cream that I love in coffee. I've wanted to do Nutpods, but haven't been able to make myself love them. I think I may revisit those because I'm pretty sure I'm having issues with dairy, and I don't have much of it, but DO love heavy cream in my coffee (I buy organic, grass-fed though - you'd think it wouldn't bother me).

But there's also that part of me that figures if I can't have my coffee taste how I want it to, I need to just quit drinking it. Of course, that's a whole 'nuther thing.

This is the reason I have done two things- first, find an alternate warm comfort drink. Spicy chai brewed strong with heated coconut milk added has become satisfying to me.

I have also trained myself to drink small amounts of coffee black, like 6 ounces early in the morning, and that’s all the coffee for the day. I believe (about myself, anyway) that there’s a mental/emotional component to that daily cuppa Joe, and having a little first thing absolutely pleases my olfactory senses, if not my taste buds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

This is the reason I have done two things- first, find an alternate warm comfort drink. Spicy chai brewed strong with heated coconut milk added has become satisfying to me.

I have also trained myself to drink small amounts of coffee black, like 6 ounces early in the morning, and that’s all the coffee for the day. I believe (about myself, anyway) that there’s a mental/emotional component to that daily cuppa Joe, and having a little first thing absolutely pleases my olfactory senses, if not my taste buds.  

I typically only have one cup of coffee, or any sort of caffeine - I don't do well with more than that. In fact, I've been working on going decaf, although it hasn't gone well. 😜

I HAVE been considering a switch to tea. I do really enjoy a lot of teas, and the caffeine content isn't nearly as bad. I also enjoy unsweetened tea, whereas I just cannot do unsweetened coffee, no matter how much I pay for the local, fresh beans.

My issue with non-dairy creamers is typically the ingredients. There aren't many that are super clean. I feel like other than my heavy cream being dairy, it's just cream with no garbage added. It just makes my darn stomach hurt. 

• Like 2

Ludy's Ginger Salabat is a great drink (non-caffeinated) and does not need any dairy but you could add a little honey if you wanted to.

https://www.ebay.com/i/223667067249?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=223667067249&targetid=538495498215&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9032615&poi=&campaignid=6470552634&mkgroupid=81274458647&rlsatarget=pla-538495498215&abcId=1139336&merchantid=127685176&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI84jBh7q95QIVDNbACh3HzgMPEAQYAiABEgIxAPD_BwE

This was the first link that popped up but do NOT buy it for this kind of outlandish price. Mine is between $4-5 for a large jar bought at a Filipino grocery store.

• Like 1