Menu

Since we talked about the photography incident at Wimbledon earlier this year (couldn't find the thread to add this there)...........this caught my eye because CNN isn't traditionally one to cover a lot of Royal bruhaha directly....... They're saying this source is close to Harry and Meghan, which I would assume meant "friendly" to the H&M camp, but this statement about Harry and Meghan seems like something a frenemy would concoct.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/europe/prince-harry-prince-william-british-royals-source-gbr-intl/index.html

The source added that the institution around the British royal family is full of people afraid of and inexperienced at how to best help harness and deploy the value of the royal couple who, they said, have single-handedly modernized the monarchy.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, the problem is that some people wish that the British Royal Family was more spiral-based, but then Harry married someone who was more mastery-based, and instead of being able to blend the two we

Saw this today:  If anyone has a right to be angry at Harry and Meghan it's the people of Sussex, who have been left leaderless without their Duke and who are now defenceless against incursions f

Maybe we should discuss Saxon vs Singapore for awhile.   😏😬😱😂

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Since we talked about the photography incident at Wimbledon earlier this year (couldn't find the thread to add this there)...........this caught my eye because CNN isn't traditionally one to cover a lot of Royal bruhaha directly....... They're saying this source is close to Harry and Meghan, which I would assume meant "friendly" to the H&M camp, but this statement about Harry and Meghan seems like something a frenemy would concoct.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/europe/prince-harry-prince-william-british-royals-source-gbr-intl/index.html

I don’t know....it sounds like something a PR person would say.  

I don’t get the haters.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MercyA said:

So Harry said he has good days and bad days with his brother, and people are upset about that? That's just life. People are weird.

I think people are worried because in the clips at least he doesn’t seem okay at all. And Meghan flat out says they aren’t okay. And that no one asks how she is, and it’s much harder than she was expecting, and apparently a good portion of the Africa documentary is H&M discussing how difficult their lives are right now. It hasn’t aired here yet- but the clips I saw he definitely does not seem like a guy in a good mental place. Maybe it’s edited that way? But I’m sure they had a choice in the editing- this isn’t just clips but rather them talking directly to the interviewer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I think people are worried because in the clips at least he doesn’t seem okay at all. And Meghan flat out says they aren’t okay. And that no one asks how she is, and it’s much harder than she was expecting, and apparently a good portion of the Africa documentary is H&M discussing how difficult their lives are right now. It hasn’t aired here yet- but the clips I saw he definitely does not seem like a guy in a good mental place. Maybe it’s edited that way? But I’m sure they had a choice in the editing- this isn’t just clips but rather them talking directly to the interviewer. 

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation! 

I do feel bad for them.  My very minimal interest in the Royals since I was a teen has taught me a lot of empathy.  When I was young Charles just disgusted me.  I was so self righteous....’he should have either defied his mother and married Camilla in the first place or he should have remained true to his marriage vows to Diana. ‘.  Then I watched the Crown and saw Charles as a little boy, and saw how much pressure there was all around to do things a certain way....and now I do have empathy for Charles.  Certainly I still believe he should have stayed faithful.....but he didn’t and I think that led Diana down a path of self destruction too.  

I doubt many women ever realize how difficult it will be to join the Royal Family. I see true love between H and M, but that doesn’t change the difficult life they are in.  

• Like 4

It would be interesting to know what 'harness and value the royal couple' really means.

Most of the noise seems to be the unrealistic expectation that any adult's actions are not under scrutiny when stepping out into the public.  Adults expect adults to walk their talk, whether they are royals or not; whether the sniper has a worldwide platform or a neighborhood platform. ime Join any community organization and once you take charge of something, you'll find yourself dragged thru the mud publicly, without a chance to explain yourself. Gossips are what gossips are.

The stress of course is real; marriage and parenthood bring new responsibilities.

• Like 3

I don't usually follow the royals but can't help but see headlines about H&M ever since they got engaged. I think the British press or people or something will never be happy he married an American- it irks like when the King abdicated for an American. I think they are unhappy he married a commoner, I think they're unhappy he married an actress, and I they're unhappy he married someone of mixed race. It's mostly snobbery, IMO. 

I doubt she fully realized what she was getting into, but I feel nothing but sympathy for her. She has a young baby and is under a lot of pressure. For all anyone knows she's had some PPD which does not discriminate based on wealth or power. I wish people would give them some space and quit expecting perfection. 

• Like 13

Tabloid editor and "TV personality" Piers Morgan has made it his personal mission to destroy them, and he is responsible for a great deal of the negative press about them. The public was initially pretty excited about the engagement, but Morgan has waged an unrelenting campaign to portray Markle as a selfish, entitled, narcissistic phony who "stole" a British prince and is fleecing the poor taxpayers in order to live out her fantasy life as a princess while refusing to carry out any of the public duties. 

Morgan is famously vindictive and has a long history of hiring private investigators, reporters, and photographers to stalk people he feels have insulted or dissed him, in order to publish embarrassing information and photos of them. The reason he has it in for Meghan is because she agreed to have drinks with him one evening, after which she left to attend a party — the party where she met Harry. She didn't answer his calls to set up a second date, so as soon as it came out that she was dating Harry he started trashing her in the press, saying she was a rude and selfish gold digger with no class who ghosted him when she found a wealthier mark.

When the tabloids started publishing stories from so-called "palace insiders" about how horrible and difficult Meghan was, she and Harry decided to move to a house on the Windsor estate where they would have more privacy. Then Morgan started publishing stories and giving interviews about the outrageous costs of renovating this house and how they were sticking the taxpayers with the bill because the palace just wasn't good enough for them, when in fact the Queen paid for the renovations and the property had been scheduled for renovations for a long time anyway. Meghan literally cannot do anything without Morgan and the tabloids finding some way to twist it. If she dares step out in public, they find an unflattering photo or take things out of context to claim she's a bitchy diva, and if she doesn't leave the house she's a spoiled brat taking taxpayer money and shirking her royal duties. The more she's stalked and harassed the more they withdraw, and the more they withdraw the more they're trashed as spoiled and ungrateful.

I'm sure the fact that Diana was basically hounded to death by the press makes this even more stressful and traumatic for Harry. They have done absolutely nothing to deserve this, and yet have no way to escape it. Well unless he renounces his title and they try to go live a normal life somewhere else, but Morgan would probably still try to stalk and harass them. If Piers Morgan got hit by a bus tomorrow, their lives would improve immeasurably. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 9
7 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm sure the fact that Diana was basically hounded to death by the press makes this even more stressful and traumatic for Harry. They have done absolutely nothing to deserve this, and yet have no way to escape it. Well unless he renounces his title and they try to go live a normal life somewhere else, but Morgan would probably still try to stalk and harass them. If Piers Morgan got hit by a bus tomorrow, their lives wold improve immeasurably. 

Something I read this morning said that when camera flashes go off it especially brings him back to his mother's death. Now they're hounding him and his wife the way they hounded his mother. The guy went through years of undiagnosed mental health issues because of his mother's death and just because he's been diagnosed and (presumably) treated doesn't mean all is well with him now.

Yes, Prince William and Kate deal with it too (Kate has her own set of haters as well) but I suspect he's had more training in dealing with it because of his position in the line of succession. Plus they're different people and it apparently affected Harry much differently (I don't want to say more or harder because they both lost their mother in a horrific manner). 

• Like 7

One of the things she mentioned in the interview is that friends tried to warn her how bad the British press was, and not to marry him, and she said she didn't get it. But we have serious tearing apart of celebrities and other famous people here as well. Tabloids are hardly rare here- in print or online. They're abundant.  It's not like the US doesn't have the tabloid factor or very aggressive celebrity media- I mean, you can find any politician, celebrity, and even a lot of other prominent people shredded on a regular basis. TMZ and a ton of similar are US based and are constantly photographing people and chasing them down.  It also sounds like the British press has a lot more restrictions because there's no free speech protection- so like the lawsuit against the Mail for the letter- they couldn't sue a US paper like that-- so one thing I guess I'm missing is how the British press is any different than the US when it comes to coverage intensity? Why do they make it sound like the pressure worse in general from UK papers than what any other A list celebrity here goes through is what I guess I don't understand? They make it sound like British papers are particularly vicious or something compared to elsewhere. Is that really the case? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This couple has a lot of hype surrounding them (whether they instigate it or the palace uses them as a tool to instigate the hype, I don't know): there are phrases used about them that sound manufactured to portray them as extra-special - just this one article gives them so much credit for "modernizing" the ancient and creaky old monarchy singlehandedly, calls the palace officials too "inexperienced" compared to them etc etc. What they need to do, if indeed they are so troubled by the media hounding them and if they really believe that their security is compromised by the paparazzi is for them to behave as normal couples in public service do, which would be to go about their lives and not give in to PR campaigns about them changing the world for the better. The world can judge for itself if Meghan and Harry changed the monarchy, changed Africa etc at a later date and they should cut out whoever is feeding glowing phrases about their uniqueness and specialness to the press, especially if they are "palace insiders". In other words, cut out the PR and focus on their charity work, their kid, their home life, their friends, their relationship with the other royals and worry about looking good to the public later.

• Like 5

There's no American royalty. You have followers of Beyonce, and the Kardashians, and others, but there's nobody that everyone cares about or feels they have a right to say how they should live. For others, American interests are fickle and there's always some newer, shinier subject of gossip. There's no reprieve for the Royal family (not that I feel sorry for them as a whole) and nobody will ever be newer and shinier until perhaps the children grow up and become new targets.

I wouldn't be sad if the British decided to finally get rid of their monarchy and I think it's well past time they did, but I can feel some sympathy for the younger generation who didn't ask for it and can't extricate themselves without alienating their close family. 

• Like 2

I am not a Piers Morgan fan.  I am not surprised he is on a vendetta to destroy MM. As for anyone who thinks she agreed to marry Harry for riches and glory......I highly doubt it.  She was already a beautiful, talented, employed and wealthy American.  I know what we see publicly can be deceiving.....but I do not see ugliness in her.  

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I am not a Piers Morgan fan.  I am not surprised he is on a vendetta to destroy MM. As for anyone who thinks she agreed to marry Harry for riches and glory......I highly doubt it.  She was already a beautiful, talented, employed and wealthy American.  I know what we see publicly can be deceiving.....but I do not see ugliness in her.  

Yes, and in all the interviews before their wedding they both seemed not only in love but to genuinely like one another. She had a career in a popular tv show here and could have gone further once the show ended (or she left). I don't think his title or money was a factor for her.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

This couple has a lot of hype surrounding them (whether they instigate it or the palace uses them as a tool to instigate the hype, I don't know): there are phrases used about them that sound manufactured to portray them as extra-special - just this one article gives them so much credit for "modernizing" the ancient and creaky old monarchy singlehandedly, calls the palace officials too "inexperienced" compared to them etc etc. What they need to do, if indeed they are so troubled by the media hounding them and if they really believe that their security is compromised by the paparazzi is for them to behave as normal couples in public service do, which would be to go about their lives and not give in to PR campaigns about them changing the world for the better. The world can judge for itself if Meghan and Harry changed the monarchy, changed Africa etc at a later date and they should cut out whoever is feeding glowing phrases about their uniqueness and specialness to the press, especially if they are "palace insiders". In other words, cut out the PR and focus on their charity work, their kid, their home life, their friends, their relationship with the other royals and worry about looking good to the public later.

There's no evidence that Harry and Meghan had anything to do with this article, or the statements it attributes to an anonymous "palace insider" — and the fact that Piers Morgan immediately tweeted a response saying "WOW. This is astonishing. Meghan & Harry telling the Palace to get stuffed because they're 'single-handedly' saving the Monarchy. Methinks it's time the Queen told this cocky & deluded pair of 'victims' to cool their ego-crazed jets!" makes me suspicious that the quote from the alleged "palace insider" may have been planted by an enemy (like Piers), not a PR person, specifically to make them look bad.

The problem is precisely that they are not allowed to "go about their lives" and "behave as normal couples do." Literally every. single. thing. they do gets twisted against them. I don't think Americans have any idea just how vicious the British tabloids can be, or the lengths to which Piers Morgan will go to destroy this couple. He is the co-host of a popular morning show and writes a column in the Daily Mail, and he is absolutely obsessed with Meghan and talks/tweets about her and Harry constantly. He frequently goes on televised and/or twitter rants about how she is controlling Harry like a puppet, single-handedly destroying the monarchy, and should "go back to America" where she belongs.

If she wears designer clothes she's trashed for "wasting taxpayer's money," and then when she wears an off-the-rack dress from Marks & Spencer's she's dragged by Morgan and the press for — wait for it — daring to wear a coat. In November. She should have worn the sleeveless dress with no coat so the public could see it because "they paid for it" and she clearly wore the coat just to spite the British public who desperately wanted to see the dress. She was criticized for not taking Archie out in public, then when she took him to Harry's polo match, photos of her holding him the way you would normally hold a newborn — close to her body with her hand supporting his head — were published with captions about how she's an overprotective freak who won't let anyone touch or look at the baby. Morgan has literally said that the baby belongs to the British public and the Sussexes have no right to privacy whatsoever. The press have been absolutely savage to them, and they have no way to escape it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 13
17 hours ago, Corraleno said:

There's no evidence that Harry and Meghan had anything to do with this article, or the statements it attributes to an anonymous "palace insider" — and the fact that Piers Morgan immediately tweeted a response saying "WOW. This is astonishing. Meghan & Harry telling the Palace to get stuffed because they're 'single-handedly' saving the Monarchy. Methinks it's time the Queen told this cocky & deluded pair of 'victims' to cool their ego-crazed jets!" makes me suspicious that the quote from the alleged "palace insider" may have been planted by an enemy (like Piers), not a PR person, specifically to make them look bad.

The problem is precisely that they are not allowed to "go about their lives" and "behave as normal couples do." Literally every. single. thing. they do gets twisted against them. I don't think Americans have any idea just how vicious the British tabloids can be, or the lengths to which Piers Morgan will go to destroy this couple. He is the co-host of a popular morning show and writes a column in the Daily Mail, and he is absolutely obsessed with Meghan and talks/tweets about her and Harry constantly. He frequently goes on televised and/or twitter rants about how she is controlling Harry like a puppet, single-handedly destroying the monarchy, and should "go back to America" where she belongs.

If she wears designer clothes she's trashed for "wasting taxpayer's money," and then when she wears an off-the-rack dress from Marks & Spencer's she's dragged by Morgan and the press for — wait for it — daring to wear a coat. In November. She should have worn the sleeveless dress with no coat so the public could see it because "they paid for it" and she clearly wore the coat just to spite the British public who desperately wanted to see the dress. She was criticized for not taking Archie out in public, then when she took him to Harry's polo match, photos of her holding him the way you would normally hold a newborn — close to her body with her hand supporting his head — were published with captions about how she's an overprotective freak who won't let anyone touch or look at the baby. Morgan has literally said that the baby belongs to the British public and the Sussexes have no right to privacy whatsoever. The press have been absolutely savage to them, and they have no way to escape it.

I don’t know anything about Morgan (other than the fact that he acts like an idiot) but my point is, why be on magazine covers, do PR events with invitations to world press, give bbc interviews about the hardships of life inside the palace (albeit it is the queen’s cottage, but still palatial with its multimillionaire inhabitants), ask celebrity friends to speak up on their behalf to the press, deliberately trying to reinvent one’s image by drawing comparisons to Diana’s charity work etc if all they wanted was to be unbothered and live out a life of service to the British people and African people? At the very least, they should lie low until everyone loses interest in them. I don’t care for celebrity gossip, but somehow my newsfeed gets clogged up with the suffering of the duchess when Elton John speaks up, which is annoying. This couple does a ton of PR and they remind me of the time when Angelina Jolie was doing heavy self-promotion a long time ago. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 10/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

First......Everyone needs to realize average Brits just think different from Americans.  My family is sort of both so I have lots of views on this (the differences in reactions to life in general) because I lived there for years and am still spending large amounts of my time there.  I wasn’t that interested in the romance at the start because he has had so many,  I think that was common for most Brits.  I happen to follow more because my American mom did and frankly this board does.😉 Most people there don’t actually follow the Royals as they aren’t heavily reported in the better newspapers, they aren’t a big deal.   Most real life friends there are not royalists so are getting news bites and form quick opinions and reacting.  My friend who liked Piers Morgan died so I don’t think anything he says matters in my circle because no one watches him.  So headlines are it and the headlines this couple generates are unfortunate, they contradict themselves frequently.....

The soundbite from the interview seems to be no asks how they are......umm this is cultural to be honest.  My family heard the sound bite because I told them.  We haven’t watched the interview and probably won’t.  My kids commented that she really needs to just live there awhile to know that is unrealistic but it does play really well to Americans ..........When a Brit asks someone how they are the cultural norm is  to hear chatter that means you are basically fine/ perhaps poorly but find the weather shocking or perhaps occasionally lovely.   If there is any suspicion  you are going to present a list of grievances people don’t ask.  In part for your personal privacy and partly because they don’t feel comfortable involving themselves.  This isn’t the stiff upper lip,  this is how polite conversation is done there.  Seriously understanding that,  who can ask them how they are beyond Charles, the Queen......they didn’t go to Balmoral anyway you look at it seems unfriendly, and finally maybe William.......but he seems to be somewhat unwanted.  After the Wimbledon mess Kate and William did appear to try hard to help them get positive press on several occasions.

Our family has a story of me bleeding from both knees and hands profusely after a fall on a walk.  We didn’t own big enough bandages so stopped at our neighborhood store where we knew and were known for casual conversation by pretty much all  there that day.  Before and after we were always asked multiple tines “Are you alright?” People never ask “how are you” where I live😉.  For that first year living there I instantly wondered if I was bleeding at the concerned “alright” question and didn’t know it, but then I was bleeding......... That day not a single soul asked...........they could see Dh sorting through stacks of bandaging supplies, he was seen talking to the pharmacist because we needed more than we had, my kids were with me making sure mom didn’t faint.......it was too warm to stay in the car btw.  We obviously were not going to A and E so they let us get on with it.  I don’t think I would have been left alone in an American store in that condition even if I wanted to be.  That is the “How are you” difference........

Seriously, if they really just want to live their lives they need to go live in the countryside, raise their child, and perhaps let Meghan assimilate a bit culturally.  Make some friends who aren’t famous or connected.  Hang out with Harry’s military buddies and their wives perhaps....... Honestly I don’t think this is what they want but giving a bit of grace....btw this is how William and Kate lived for years.  Probably in part so she could adjust.

She will never be British,  I will never be British and we both do have a lot to learn....that said I have a 13 year head start and I frequently cringe for her.  Their apparent public criticism of William and Kate is a problem.   Harry is now pretty unpopular because he is seen as setting himself above when he used to be one of the guys.   She frequently says things in public that are off, a bit too cheeky........just off to British ears.  To American ears they are fine.  She needs to want to learn and at this point doesn’t get she is off........pretty much on schedule in my experience.  Fine if you are me living there but not great if you are a public British figurehead.  

• Like 15

I've actually followed this.  some of the complaints about them are very valid.  she wrote a letter to her father, who kept it to himself.  months later, her "friends" shared snippets in people magazine - they could only have gotten those snippets from her.  he then released the full letter to put everything in context.

they went on their Africa tour for charity - (seeing harry walking in a minefield dressed up like his mother was silly at best, and clearly a pr stunt.)  it was generally hailed successful in the british press - then before it was even over, they were suing media outlets.  they were making their documentary WHILE they were in Africa, (their friend was the producer so it was friendly to them.) where they basically did a lot of "woe is me, my life is so hard".  - talk about disconnect!  they were in Africa, where girls are raped, people are murdered, children go without food . . . and they're whining about their hard lives.

harry has been the patron for a military charity for years - he was scheduled to be at an evening event for this charity a year in advance.  he cancelled his appearance so they could go to the lion king premier in London.

never mind all their preaching about people needing to reduce their  carbon footprints while they were flying private jets.

that just scratches the surface of complaints against them.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 7
8 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I don't think she's ugly, inside or out.

I just see someone who was pretty naive, and now needs to step back, focus on her family, and get some decent PR advice. 

she worked in Hollywood/ancillary.  she wasn't that naïve - she knew the press that comes with celebrity, and they're living more like celebrities than royalty.

• Like 4

When I first heard of the engagement, I hoped that her acting background would help her. She could decide that her new life long role was playing a royal. She would have her royal duties, uniform, interests, speeches. Then she would go home and be herself. If the royal role was attacked, it wasn't her, just a role she was playing. She could have looked at the Princess Royal and imitated her. https://www.royal.uk/future-engagements?text=&mrf=5&date[min][date]=24%2F10%2F2019&date[max][date]=31%2F10%2F2019&id=

But she didn't, and it's predictably horrible.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/letters/if-prince-harry-and-meghan-are-finding-public-life-distressing-they-need-to-join-the-real-world-yorkshire-post-letters-1-10065726

ETA: and the conscious role playing would help her children too. 'Okay, we're going to a hospital now to thank the nice nurses for everything they do. Let's play the "dress up, smile and wave" game. Then later we can come home and eat pizza in our pjs.'

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 13

one of the things that's had me concerned, she was very upfront early on about how she "improved his diet".  then she made him drop friends for being a "bad influence" - some of his friends have confirmed they don't see him anymore.  there has been public tension between harry and William for months.  last summer, he didn't go to balmoral.  that's a longstanding tradition where members of the immediate family show up at some point during the summer to have some time with the queen. I see things that make me think of an abuser - who separates their target from all of their former supports.   This is what it looks like to me.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

About the only thing I have in common with Meghan Markle is that I had my first baby about a year after our wedding.   But when we were relatively newlyweds with a five month old, I'm sure that some of my husband's single friends felt like they didn't see him anymore either, and that he missed some family traditions.  I'm also pretty sure that, before we move in together, the only home cooked meals with vegetables my husband ate were when he visited his own mom, so I definitely "improved his diet".  I think that accusing her of abuse based on those things, is a stretch.  

However, I haven't been following them at all. So, maybe there are other signs I'm missing.  

I think as mentioned earlier in the thread there are hateful and nasty commentators (Piers Morgan) who paint everything she does as wrong, abusive, controlling, etc.  

she really can’t win.  And I don’t care if she is a princess, she is still a human being with feelings and no one wants to be hated on, 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

About the only thing I have in common with Meghan Markle is that I had my first baby about a year after our wedding.   But when we were relatively newlyweds with a five month old, I'm sure that some of my husband's single friends felt like they didn't see him anymore either, and that he missed some family traditions.  I'm also pretty sure that, before we move in together, the only home cooked meals with vegetables my husband ate were when he visited his own mom, so I definitely "improved his diet".  I think that accusing her of abuse based on those things, is a stretch.  

However, I haven't been following them at all. So, maybe there are other signs I'm missing.  

a number of those friends are married too.

beforehand - he seemed fairly happy and cheerful.  he's seemed quite stressed for quite awhile.  there is something going on, more than "just newlyweds, and having a baby".  I had my first within a year of my marriage, during which time my dh was frequently out of town, and we were building a house - we actually moved twice in six months (and I moved in with him when we got back from our honeymoon - so I moved three times in eight months).  I was fine until my mil moved in. . . .  (she was nuts, and made everyone around her crazy.)

1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I just want to clarify - these were things megan said herself.  that she changed his diet, and made him drop his friends because she thought they were a bad influence.   it isn't other people who said it - she did.

• Like 1

I feel so bad for Harry and Megan with regards to the media obsession.  He's like #6 in line for the throne.  It was only like 6 yrs ago that he was like #3.  For most of his life, he was "the spare" and now, he's not even that.  And yet, the media still follows him around like he's gonna take over when QE2 passes on.  

And I think people forget sometimes, Megan JUST had a baby.  I mean, he's not even 6 months old.  I feel like she has been hounded more than Kate........and Kate was pretty hounded.  I wonder if perhaps Megan is dealing with some PPD.  I didn't see her whole interview, but she really looked like a person dealing with baby blues, just trying to hold it together for the camera.

Also, I feel like they really pack their schedule.  They travel all over the world.....a lot.  On one hand, that's kind of expected from the royal family, but on the other hand, that has to be SO stressful, especially with a new baby in the mix.  Even when it's fun, travel can be stressful.  Even without the appearance schedule.  

• Like 5
24 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I just want to clarify - these were things megan said herself.  that she changed his diet, and made him drop his friends because she thought they were a bad influence.   it isn't other people who said it - she did.

Well, didn't he have a reputation of being a wild child? Maybe those friends really WERE bad influences. My mom drew the line at some of my dad's friends back in the day and then insisted they move a few hours away from his brothers. She was totally in the right, and my dad now fully admits that. His brothers and friends WERE bad influences. 

• Like 5

And I don't care how much money you have, that kind of public scrutiny has to be awful. After reading The Gift of Fear and reading how many people are trying to kill celebrities on a daily basis - no way. I'm sure she has constant death threats, stalkers, etc. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

beforehand - he seemed fairly happy and cheerful.  he's seemed quite stressed for quite awhile.  there is something going on, more than "just newlyweds, and having a baby"

Yeah, the "something else" is that the woman he loves is being relentlessly hounded and vilified in the press on a daily basis — of course he's stressed out.  Having seen first hand the toll that took on his mother, he's probably terrified at the prospect that he and his wife and child(ren) may be facing a lifetime of this. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

beforehand - he seemed fairly happy and cheerful.  he's seemed quite stressed for quite awhile. 

He might have seemed fairly happy and cheerful but apparently he wasn't. More than a year before he got married he opened up about his struggle over his mother's death and his mental health issues. At that time his engagement to MM was only a rumor, so the press didn't know anything for sure about their relationship. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ceciliarodriguez/2017/04/18/prince-harry-opens-up-about-his-20-years-of-mental-struggle/#61f8ae3978ab

“I can safely say that losing my mum at the age of 12, and therefore shutting down all of my emotions for the last 20 years, has had a quite serious effect on not only my personal life but my work as well,” he admitted. “I thought that thinking of her was only going to make me sad and not going to bring her back. So from an emotional side, I was, like, ‘Right, don’t ever let your emotions be part of anything.'”

And so, he explained, during his 20's he "ran around going ‘life is great’ or ‘life is fine.'”

That was a period when he was creating significant buzz as “Crazy Harry," regularly making headlines for smoking pot, getting wild at drunken parties, attending a costume ball in a Nazi uniform, well-oiled evenings with a series of beautiful young women in revealing outfits.

“And then I started to have a few conversations,” he said in the podcast. “And actually all of a sudden, all of this grief that I have never processed started to come to the forefront and I was, like, 'there is actually a lot of stuff here that I need to deal with.'"

15 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Well, didn't he have a reputation of being a wild child? Maybe those friends really WERE bad influences. 

There's also a history of the younger royals having a wild side - Princess Margaret, "Randy Andy", and others, going back a long way.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

Both Harry and Meghan are focused on mental health issues. Part of that requires honesty and transparency about their own issues, I think. It might not be the cultural norm, but that’s part of the point. Showing how the cultural norm isolates people and keeps them from getting help. 

I don’t get some of the animosity towards them. If their approach, personalities etc don’t speak to you then ignore them. But they do speak to some people. They do inspire some to have difficult but honest conversations. And they do a lot of work for the benefit of others. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

And what if that is actually, in fact, true? SO WHAT? I certainly changed my DHs diet when we married. I also steered him away from certain people who were bad influences too. I don't consider myself the least bit controlling. He's a grown man who happens to have enough sense to listen to a woman who has an equal stake in his success and our mutual happiness. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well I think it was brave (and planned) for her to discuss how difficult it's been.  And I'm sure part of the calculation there was the lawsuits they just filed.  And I'm sure Harry talking about how the press killed his mother was calculated too. They are pushing for changes, both socially (culturally) and legally.  Good for them.

• Like 2

I think she's a liar.  I saw her in an interview about how they fell in love.  She said that since she grew up in the USA, she didn't know who Prince Harry was.  Yeah right.  I'm just a bit younger than she is.  I didn't grow up in SoCal steeped in TV (her dad worked in TV) and I wasn't an aspiring actress like she was.  I'm guessing she was a celebrity follower in that environment.  I was none of those things and I knew who Prince Harry was.  I think every American of that era was aware of who he was, even more so after his mother died.  I cannot believe that she had never heard of him and didn't know who he was.  So, I think she's a liar.  And rather a phony,  I mean, she's an actress, of course she's a phony.  She's playing every moment possible.  If you truly didn't want press, why do a documentary.  I do not see it on youtube so can't watch it, but I've seen enough clips.  I really don't understand how the media bothers them so much.  Don't read the papers or watch TV.   Lie low.

Edited by parent
6 hours ago, parent said:

I think she's a liar.  I saw her in an interview about how they fell in love.  She said that since she grew up in the USA, she didn't know who Prince Harry was.  Yeah right.  I'm just a bit younger than she is.  I didn't grow up in SoCal steeped in TV (her dad worked in TV) and I wasn't an aspiring actress like she was.  I'm guessing she was a celebrity follower in that environment.  I was none of those things and I knew who Prince Harry was.  I think every American of that era was aware of who he was, even more so after his mother died.  I cannot believe that she had never heard of him and didn't know who he was.  So, I think she's a liar.  And rather a phony,  I mean, she's an actress, of course she's a phony.  She's playing every moment possible.  If you truly didn't want press, why do a documentary.  I do not see it on youtube so can't watch it, but I've seen enough clips.  I really don't understand how the media bothers them so much.  Don't read the papers or watch TV.   Lie low.

I'm pretty sure that two of my kids had no idea who Prince Harry was.  I didn't know who he was either.  I knew that Princess Diana had two sons and that the oldest was married, but knew nothing about the younger one, not even his name.  I follow the news daily -- including BBC, but I guess because I was never really interested in the royal family so I glossed over any news about them.

Also, I know a lot of fine people who are actors...  I certainly wouldn't call them all phony.  (I'm not saying Meghan is or isn't, just that I don't think all actors should be labeled as phony.)

• Like 7
1 hour ago, J-rap said:

Also, I know a lot of fine people who are actors...  I certainly wouldn't call them all phony.  (I'm not saying Meghan is or isn't, just that I don't think all actors should be labeled as phony.)

I know hobby actors who are fine people.  I think most professional actors or celebrities build a persona and play the media and the public constantly.  I don't know any of them personally but there is always a layer of insincerity or phoniness when I see snippets of interviews or magazine covers.  Their livelihood depends on their portrayal of themselves.  I had never heard of her before her marriage to Prince Harry (but I don't watch TV or follow celebrities).  It seems she was a small time TV not movie actress and it seems that her marriage is another role or career stepping stone.  I'm doubtful that it's a forever type of marriage but I hope the best for them.

2 hours ago, parent said:

I know hobby actors who are fine people.  I think most professional actors or celebrities build a persona and play the media and the public constantly.  I don't know any of them personally but there is always a layer of insincerity or phoniness when I see snippets of interviews or magazine covers.  Their livelihood depends on their portrayal of themselves.  

I think this is a gross generalisation. A good friend of mine is a professional actor of great skill. He seeks no more publicity than is required for finding work. He is one of the kindest, most sincere people I know. His livelihood depends on his portrayal of other people, not himself.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, parent said:

I know hobby actors who are fine people.  I think most professional actors or celebrities build a persona and play the media and the public constantly.  I don't know any of them personally but there is always a layer of insincerity or phoniness when I see snippets of interviews or magazine covers.  Their livelihood depends on their portrayal of themselves.  I had never heard of her before her marriage to Prince Harry (but I don't watch TV or follow celebrities).  It seems she was a small time TV not movie actress and it seems that her marriage is another role or career stepping stone.  I'm doubtful that it's a forever type of marriage but I hope the best for them.

Wow. That is a whole lot of judgement and negative assumptions about people you don't know. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Wow. That is a whole lot of judgement and negative assumptions about people you don't know. 

Possibly.  I'm not much of a follower of celebrities.  That's what I see.  Mostly people begging for attention.  People who publicize their life and complain about publicity.  Not my thing.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, parent said:

Possibly.  I'm not much of a follower of celebrities.  That's what I see.  Mostly people begging for attention.  People who publicize their life and complain about publicity.  Not my thing.

And I see over simplification of real life people who are no different than you are at their core but who are responding to others with a whole lot more graciousness and are just asking for the same. 

Honestly, this social media /internet phenomena of weighing in on anything and everything with no nuance or critical thinking concerns me. And it seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
42 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

And I see over simplification of real life people who are no different than you are at their core but who are responding to others with a whole lot more graciousness and are just asking for the same. 

Honestly, this social media /internet phenomena of weighing in on anything and everything with no nuance or critical thinking concerns me. And it seems to be a worldwide phenomenon. 

Well, we will agree to disagree then.  I feel that I'm not one of the brainwashed mass following and idolizing celebrities.  My tendency is to reject any line they would feed.

I do agree that there are some actors that don't look for attention.  So maybe it's a bad example because he's old and not as popular but I can't think of anyone else, but I've never seen Harrison Ford on a magazine cover or otherwise in headlines.  I agree some of them keep to themselves.  I think people like the Kardashians (I have never watched them on tv or even heard them speak only commenting from headlines of articles I don't read) beg for attention to promote themselves.  I am highly skeptical of harry and meghan publicizing their life and then complaining about publicity.  I also think she's a liar and knew who he was before meeting him.  I can't imagine that any girl near my age did not.  For her to say that he was unknown in America is ludicrous.

I probably shouldn't have commented.  I'm signing off this thread.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, StellaM said:

There's zero nuance or critical thinking in failing to understand that there are some major differences between British and other cultures*, and that the way the couple are currently conducting themselves is in ignorance of the very fragile 21st British consent to monarchy.  

*Graciousness being an example of a culturally expressed quality; the couple are not showing graciousness to the British people who fund them and keep them in their ludicrous station in life. 

I wonder if this isn’t a bit like the way some Americans view civil servants, as though they are your personal servant and not a servant of the state. The royals are very wealthy in their own right, no? And they live in historic properties that the state would be tasked with maintaining in their absence, regardless? This idea that we own public servants (or anyone else who receives a public dollar) seems ubiquitous.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, parent said:

Wow. Again with the uninformed stereotyping based on limited or no information of the actual people you are saying such things about. This is no different than people saying all homeschool parents are overprotective cult followers churning out uneducated sheeple. Neither is right, neither is okay. These are actual human beings you are speaking of so dismissively. 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Agreed.

1 hour ago, parent said:

Well, we will agree to disagree then.  I feel that I'm not one of the brainwashed mass following and idolizing celebrities.  My tendency is to reject any line they would feed.

I do agree that there are some actors that don't look for attention.  So maybe it's a bad example because he's old and not as popular but I can't think of anyone else, but I've never seen Harrison Ford on a magazine cover or otherwise in headlines.  I agree some of them keep to themselves.  I think people like the Kardashians (I have never watched them on tv or even heard them speak only commenting from headlines of articles I don't read) beg for attention to promote themselves.  I am highly skeptical of harry and meghan publicizing their life and then complaining about publicity.  I also think she's a liar and knew who he was before meeting him.  I can't imagine that any girl near my age did not.  For her to say that he was unknown in America is ludicrous.

I probably shouldn't have commented.  I'm signing off this thread.

Worshipping celebrities just because they are famous is dumb. So is rejecting humans just because of their job. 

• Like 5