Menu

Need help to plan physical science for 8th grader

We only read library books in 8th grade. But for textbook style science, I really like the Scipad worktext because it picks a few topics to go in depth rather than trying to cover everything in a surface way. 

https://scipad.co.nz/product/the-year-9-scipad/

There is a view button so you can look before you buy. (FYI year 9 = 8th grade)

Ruth in NZ

BJU and master books didn't quite work for us.

Here is what we did yesterday:

We went to the library and took out books for astronomy as this is our first topic to be covered and dd loved DK books and coffee table books(thank you Ruth for your suggestion!)She is buried in these books and quite frankly I love them too so the plan is to cover astronomy from coffee table books and DK eyewitness book and let's see how it goes.I have to create questions now to check her understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

We went a different route and chose to do Life of Fred Chemistry one semester and physics the next.  We've added those big illustrated books 'Elements', 'Reactions' and 'Molecules'.  i know that somebody here didn't like one of the LOF books, but I had picked them up used and my kid seems happy.  I gave kiddo a few options and he thought this would be fun.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, carriede said:

I haven't used this, but I plan on it! Novare's Physical Science: https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/novare-physical-science-3rd-edition/

They also have a secular print of this through Centripetal Press.

I like this book.  Novare's is printed on better quality paper b/c -- at least when we bought them -- Centripetal Press wasn't doing enough volume of business to cover the expense of the higher-end books. 

One thing I like about Centripetal Press'/Novare's middle school books is that if necessary you can just have the child read them and then follow up with whatever depth reinforcement/checking that you wish.  You could go WTM outlines & summaries on them, have children do the questions in the books, include experiments or not, give quizzes/tests from the resource CD or not.  My older is strong in science so for he just reads & I occasionally check for retention of the big stuff.   We did not do experiments for physical science but he doesn't really need them, he is very good at building stuff and loves to do it so he has a great "feel" for physics.  Younger DS might benefit more from experiments when it is his turn. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, kiwik said:

I have heard this before but never been able to find the option on their website.  Have you got a link?

You have to email/call to ask about it. Basically, you get access to everything except DO’s grading. They will send you an answer key so that you can check your student’s work yourself. Only downside is no teacher support if student has questions you can help them with, but for physical science, it’s pretty straight forward!

On 1/12/2020 at 1:35 AM, fourisenough said:

You have to email/call to ask about it. Basically, you get access to everything except DO’s grading. They will send you an answer key so that you can check your student’s work yourself. Only downside is no teacher support if student has questions you can help them with, but for physical science, it’s pretty straight forward!

Thanks.  I should be OK with physical science and a few others.