Menu

Suggestions for Physical Science other than Apologia

I've started my 9th grader with Apologia Physical Science and he's struggling because Apologia is so detailed. I was wondering if I should just hang tough for the whole year or see if there is any other Physical Science that he could switch to which would allow us to continue just not at quite a rigorous pace. He is an average student taking Pre-Algebra. Mentioning this because I know there are some sciences that require Algebra 1.

Edited by Mom28kds

Would adding the audiobook version for listening along while reading help? Or getting the video instruction DVD to guide DS through the program? (The audiobook could be used to go through the text more than once to help with exposure to all of the new material, while the video instruction DVD could provide tips and extra explanations to help with comprehension.)

If wanting to switch (and it would be expensive!!), it sounds like perhaps a visual element might help:
- Switched On Schoolhouse (Christian) -- grade 9 is physical science + health (Computer CDs or USB drive, + video of experiments + lab kit)
- Bob Jones distance learning option (Christian) -- textbook + lab manual + DVD instruction
- Abeka -- text + lab manual + video lessons
- Study.com (secular) -- self-paced video lessons and online text + tests; pay per month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Would adding the audiobook version for listening along while reading help? Or getting the video instruction DVD to guide DS through the program? (The audiobook could be used to go through the text more than once to help with exposure to all of the new material, while the video instruction DVD could provide tips and extra explanations to help with comprehension.)

If wanting to switch (and it would be expensive!!), it sounds like perhaps a visual element might help:
- Switched On Schoolhouse (Christian) -- grade 9 is physical science + health (Computer CDs or USB drive, + video of experiments + lab kit)
- Bob Jones distance learning option (Christian) -- textbook + lab manual + DVD instruction
- Abeka -- text + lab manual + video lessons
- Study.com (secular) -- self-paced video lessons and online text + tests; pay per month

Hmmm, maybe I should stick with it, make it work and look for other options for further Sciences. I guess it would be pretty expensive.