Menu

Grief counseling in Phoenix

Hi everyone.  I know this is a little off topic, but I really don't know where to turn.  My son is away at his first year of college and he called me on Saturday because a classmate of his passed away suddenly.  The classmate was a fellow engineering student and also played soccer with my son....they were friends.  My son seems to be taking it as well as can be expected, but I can already sense some survivor's guilt.  

On my end I have been in constant contact with him and am trying to be supportive, but I am also a wreck.  I don't know why it has hit me so hard and I am concerned for my son's well being.  He went to grief counseling but said they were of little help and seemed unsure of what to say. Does any one where know where he can go to talk to some one?  A hotline maybe?

Edited by Ohdanigirl
Spelling

On 10/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, Lori D. said:

So very sorry for your DS and the family of his friend. 

Perhaps a grief support group? Here are some in the Phoenix Valley area that are listed through Hospice of the Valley.

Thank you.  I appreciate the response.  The University has reached out as well and it appears they will be forming a support group to help.  I passed the info above to my father as well, since he is in the same city as my son and will be looking out for him during this time.   My son has had a few professors reach out as well, and that has been helpful.  Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Ohdanigirl said:

Thank you.  I appreciate the response.  The University has reached out as well and it appears they will be forming a support group to help.  I passed the info above to my father as well, since he is in the same city as my son and will be looking out for him during this time.   My son has had a few professors reach out as well, and that has been helpful.  Thanks again.

So glad the University is providing some support, and that your son has support through his grandfather and professors. May your son find peace as he walks through both the the loss of his friend, but also the celebration of and remembrance of his friend's life.