Menu

LabPaq no longer sells to homeschoolers. Biology lab help

I had an old user name and password, and they cancelled my order. :o(

I don't want to use the Quality Science Labs kits- dd has done most of the regular one and the AP one would be overkill. We used the homescientist (Thompson) kit for Chemistry, and I don't think it would be a good fit for Biology. Our local co-op conflicts with another class. And dd has a physics camp she wants to do when the local college does their Biology lab camp this summer. I really just want to do a small number of quality labs. Is there a book and or kit for that?

We're using the Holt Biology book, and she's done a majority of the do-able labs in that book.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Lilaclady said:

Lab paq is still selling to homeschoolers. Granted they are a pain to work with but my students like their labs because they actually work. I got Biology and chemistry from them last month. They required a notarized homeschool affidavit or declaration which was a pain but doable. 
you can contact Andrew 

andrew.fogoros@holscience.com

Good to know! Unfortunately, I don't have any sort of official paperwork. I'll ponder that.

36 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

I think that might be second semester. That's the site where I pulled a lot of the labs we used for Biology in middle school. (They are good!)

I need to figure this out. We are supposed to do it next year.

I had thought since it was Biology 1 and 1A that those comprised one year (12 chapters of the text) and 2 and 2A represented a second course with a slightly different focus (more on genetics, etc). The Miller-Levine book is quite large so there is no way to get through it all in one year.   I will need to do some investigating on here. Thanks for bringing that up!

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

I need to figure this out. We are supposed to do it next year.

I had thought since it was Biology 1 and 1A that those comprised one year (12 chapters of the text) and 2 and 2A represented a second course with a slightly different focus (more on genetics, etc). The Miller-Levine book is quite large so there is no way to get through it all in one year.   I will need to do some investigating on here. Thanks for bringing that up!

I think Biology 1 is the first semester biology course. Biology 1A is the honors section.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I did labs I picked from what was on this list.

https://serendipstudio.org/sci_edu/waldron/

I substituted an egg osmosis experiment for the ones that use dialysis tubing (because the materials were less expensive).

I really like the Dragon Genetics exercises.

These look good. Are there any that didn't work out for you?

EDIT: Nevermind.  I just realized that this is the "Home Scientist" that you already mentioned wouldn't be a good fit for you.   Leaving the info here in case it's helpful to someone else.

Would something like this work? Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments  The pdf is free.  You can purchase a hard copy at amazon for about $20.

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

These look good. Are there any that didn't work out for you?

I didn't attempt to do all of the labs.

I did egg osmosis (including trying a liquid that wasn't listed, a cola); both dragon genetics, and a couple others including Is Yeast Alive. We also did the Handwashing and Microorganisms kits from Home Science Tools and built a few Winogradsky Columns.  My son also grew a lot of plants during biology, so he had hands on experience with that aspect of biology. 

• Like 1

I have the Teacher One Stop for the Holt book, which contains labs beyond the ones in the student book. My current (very time consuming) plan is to go through and choose 8 of the "Advanced" labs. Some of them are fairly in-depth and interesting. Of course none of the files on the one stop have names that make any sense so a lot of clicking and looking, but I'm really not finding anything better.