Menu

New veggies

May

DH would like to try some different veggies. Currently, I grill them but when cold weather sets in, I usually start to roast them. In the rotation are: carrots, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, squash,(acorn and spaghetti), asparagus, green beans(on rare occasions, DH doesn’t like them)and our latest, Bok Choy. We tried Kohlrabi but I found it hard to cut and didn’t feel it was worth the effort. I’d like something that is easy to prepare, I don’t have to go to a specialty food place and it doesn’t cost a fortune. What are some of your favorites that I can try😊

Sweet potatoes--baked, steamed, sauteed in a pan, etc. They are really good cooked with breakfast sausage (or bacon) and apples (or pears). Whipped and rebaked with apples across the top is pretty good too.

Beets--boiled, baked, etc. 

Peas--shelled, sugar snap, and snow peas. 

Peppers and tomatoes--I can't eat them, and I miss them greatly. 

Regular potatoes--I know they are starchy, but they are still real food. If you cook them, cool them completely, and recook them, they become a resistant starch. 

Jicama is tasty and mildly sweet.

Turnips--cooked and mashed. Some people use radishes this way as well. 

Greens--if you like them, you can get them prewashed, frozen, etc. 

Salad.

(I don't eat all this quite as well in real life as it sounds, lol!) 

Look online at a gardening supply company--you'll see all kinds of interesting things! 

• Like 1

Thanks! We do eat beets on salads, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. I also sauté kale ,collard greens, spinach and peppers. I’ll I haven’t done turnips yet, hummmm. We eat lots of salad too. I’m not a very imaginative cook and like to keep things simple. We are health conscious so little butter in or on veggies. Sorry my list wasn’t more complete.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Your dh eats all that variety of veg? Amazing. Maybe you could branch out into different ways of preparing the veg you already know and enjoy. Stir fry is so quick and easy; curry is also easy (I just tried it myself and was very pleasantly surprised).

Do you have a favorite recipe for curry? I’m sure there are plenty out there but I’ll go with a recommendation any time😊Yes, DH isn’t really a picky eater but likes things on the healthier side. So, just a little butter, olive oil instead, no sauces except red, never gravy, very little red meat, fish only once a week, twice but he’ll have a cookie to wash it down😂 Yes, we love veggies here!

Parsnips

kale

collards

celery

celery root

cucumber

leeks

Onion

green onion 

peppers especially sweet red  BUT see note below

salad vegetables (green leaf lettuces etc) , plus parsley, radicchio, escarole, arugula, cilantro, radish, daikon (especially as sprouts) 

raw sliced salted turnip as snack

kale chips

NOTE  autoimmune triggers can include the tomato, potato, pepper, eggplant solanum family and also the legume including beans and peas family

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Eggplant? They have light green mini ones here. The Archbishop's wife stuffs them with meat and rice, spiced deliciously.  It is one of my favorite dishes. 

What about a curried cauliflowerm 

Love the idea of eggplant! I have made it a couple of times but it wasn’t a hit. I’d love the recipe with the meat and rice though. Curried cauliflower sounds interesting. Do you have a favorite recipe?

1 minute ago, Pen said:

Parsnips

kale

collards

celery

celery root

cucumber

leeks

Onion

green onion 

peppers especially sweet red  BUT see note below

salad vegetables (green leaf lettuces etc) , plus parsley, radicchio, escarole, arugula, cilantro, radish, daikon (especially as sprouts) 

raw sliced salted turnip as snack

kale chips

NOTE  autoimmune triggers can include the tomato, potato, pepper, eggplant solanum family and also the legume including beans and peas family

Thanks Pen! I have a butternut squash soup recipe that uses leeks but have only used it for that. You given me lots to think about.

1 hour ago, May said:

Love the idea of eggplant! I have made it a couple of times but it wasn’t a hit. I’d love the recipe with the meat and rice though. Curried cauliflower sounds interesting. Do you have a favorite recipe?

I don't have those recipes yet but I have been meaning to ask! I will post when I get them!

• Like 2

Okra.  Here is one recipe I use.   Okra is not often available at my grocery store, but the Asian market nearby almost always has it.

Fresh Okra with Tomatoes and Ginger

Modifications:

1. I greatly reduce the amount of oil, the most calorically dense food on the planet
  2. I will use a 15oz can of diced tomatoes for 1/2 recipe

To avoid the dreaded "okra slime," thoroughly dry the okra (and your cutting board) before slicing it.  Moisture brings out the slime.

• Like 2

Just now, Sue in St Pete said:

Okra.  Here is one recipe I use.   Okra is not often available at my grocery store, but the Asian market nearby almost always has it.

Fresh Okra with Tomatoes and Ginger

Modifications:

1. I greatly reduce the amount of oil, the most calorically dense food on the planet
  2. I will use a 15oz can of diced tomatoes for 1/2 recipe

To avoid the dreaded "okra slime," thoroughly dry the okra (and your cutting board) before slicing it.  Moisture brings out the slime.

You can prepare okra other then fried🤣

3 minutes ago, May said:

You can prepare okra other then fried🤣

Like deep fried?  Ewww. 

I have 2 other Indian recipes for okra.  Bhindi Masala and Stuffed Okra with Pearl Onions and Cherry Tomatoes.  I went to Indian cooking classes where she sliced the okra lengthwise and stuffed them with a mixture of spices, then cooked with pearl onions, adding cherry tomatoes at the end.  I thought to myself "there is no way in heck I am ever going to slit and stuff okra".  When we ate them, there was a burst of flavor and I thought, "maybe I will".  I do it on special Indian feast days.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, May said:

Do you have a favorite recipe for curry? I’m sure there are plenty out there but I’ll go with a recommendation any time😊Yes, DH isn’t really a picky eater but likes things on the healthier side. So, just a little butter, olive oil instead, no sauces except red, never gravy, very little red meat, fish only once a week, twice but he’ll have a cookie to wash it down😂 Yes, we love veggies here!

Until you mentioned the cookie, I thought I had almost nothing in common with your dh. 😉

I try to eat fairly well, but I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I’m sitting here with a bag of potato chips right now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, May said:

I just use google to find a recipe that looks interesting and tweak as needed. It really depends on your tastes. I never use pre-prepared sauces other than soy sauce or Thai fish sauce.  

To me, curry just seems like a stir fry with different spices and coconut milk, but I'm just a "curry newbie" as I've only made a couple dishes. I didn't use the spice mix labelled as "curry spice," rather used all the individual spices listed in the recipe. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, May said:

I like to just panfry my cauliflower as follows:

1. Heat skillet, add a small amount of oil. Once oil is hot, put in some mustard seeds, cover with lid while they pop. Add in cumin seeds.

2. Almost immediately add in lots of crushed garlic, stir quickly, then toss in the cauliflower and a small amount of water. Cover again.

3. When cauliflower is soft, add in some chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper. This goes well with any curry.

You could add some chopped carrot as well, or skip the cilantro and add some turmeric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I am in search of a butternut squash soup.  Would you share the recipe?

Yes, I’ll post tomorrow. It’s a recipe our pastor gave me. He’s a great cook😊and brought this to a potluck😋

• Like 1

I see you enjoy butternut and spaghetti squash- do you like yellow squash and zucchini? We love zucchini sliced, seasoned, sprinkled with bread crumbs and Parmesan shreds and baked until topping is crunchy.  Radishes are delicious roasted along with other veggies. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Annie G said:

I see you enjoy butternut and spaghetti squash- do you like yellow squash and zucchini? We love zucchini sliced, seasoned, sprinkled with bread crumbs and Parmesan shreds and baked until topping is crunchy.  Radishes are delicious roasted along with other veggies. 

Yes, we eat those too😊 Looks like my list of what we eat was incomplete. Thanks for the suggestion😊

18 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I like to just panfry my cauliflower as follows:

1. Heat skillet, add a small amount of oil. Once oil is hot, put in some mustard seeds, cover with lid while they pop. Add in cumin seeds.

2. Almost immediately add in lots of crushed garlic, stir quickly, then toss in the cauliflower and a small amount of water. Cover again.

3. When cauliflower is soft, add in some chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper. This goes well with any curry.

You could add some chopped carrot as well, or skip the cilantro and add some turmeric.

That sounds really good!

• Like 1

It IS really good, and fast and easy too. (It's better if you remember to give it a little time to brown. Oh, and you can add some ginger if you like, or sub it for the garlic. It'd probably taste good with chives or scallions too, instead of or with the cilantro. Or garlic scapes, but those go in sooner.)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Annie G said:

Also, if my dh ate that wide variety of veggies I would be doing the happy dance. 

Yes, he really enjoys all veggies except green beans. He grew up on a farm and he said his mom planted and canned these in abundance. I’ll still make them, just not too often😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

What about including tofu in your next fried rice meal or roasted veggie tray? 

We do try to go meatless at least twice a week. I use to make tofu dishes when our youngest daughter lived at home but haven’t since. I’ll have to pick some up again😊

5 minutes ago, May said:

Hmmm, I’ll have to look for these.

Growing In your yard? 

They are extremely nutritious. Somewhat bitter especially if not very young.  They can be made as a wilted dandelion greens “salad” with crumbled hard boiled eggs and bacon (if you eat those) and or some cheese, and a savory dressing—making a full lunch type meal. Or with rice on side if needed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pen said:

Growing In your yard? 

They are extremely nutritious. Somewhat bitter especially if not very young.  They can be made as a wilted dandelion greens “salad” with crumbled hard boiled eggs and bacon (if you eat those) and or some cheese, and a savory dressing—making a full lunch type meal. Or with rice on side if needed. 

We use weed stuff on our lawn so I guess these are a no go😊

• Sad 1