Menu

What's with the ads?

Æthelthryth the Texan

How long do you keep boxes for pricier items with warranties?

How long do you store boxes for items with several years of warranty? I typically HATE storing cardboard boxes of any type. They would have to go into our attic and they attract tree roaches and who knows what else, so I am typically very anti-cardboard boxes in my house or attic. However, we recently have gotten a couple of appliance type things that have largish boxes (think giant microwave size)- the warranties are 2-3 years and are the type where if it breaks, you ship them back to the manufacturer type of thing so I am debating on whether or not to save the boxes. Or is it okay to just pitch them and let UPS figure out how to box them should I ever need to send them in for repair? 

My Mom saves everything and so does a friend I asked- so I am wondering if I'm nuts for wanting to throw the original boxes away. What says the Hive? 

• Like 1

I vote pitch the boxes. If need be, UPS can figure it out. I make sure to keep the receipt -our credit cards double the length of the warrantee, so even longer! There may be a cost, but you don't have to pay the storage "cost" for a bunch of cheap-o empty boxes you will likely never use.

If you do decide to keep them (despite my vote against) be sure to label them with a date for easy disposal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We throw them in the attic and throw them all away every 15 years or so! Never noticed a vermin problem up there.

• Like 2

We never keep big boxes like you’ve described. Probably one reason is, we’ve never had the room to store them.

• Like 1

I get rid of them right away, and have never had a situation arise that made me wish I had kept a box.

My MIL kept the boxes for everything. After she died, we were cleaning out her attic and it was literally stuffed with decades and decades worth of empty boxes. It was nuts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We throw them in the attic and throw them all away every 15 years or so! Never noticed a vermin problem up there.

Also our strategy, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

I get rid of them right away, and have never had a situation arise that made me wish I had kept a box.

My MIL kept the boxes for everything. After she died, we were cleaning out her attic and it was literally stuffed with decades and decades worth of empty boxes. It was nuts!

This is how my moms house is going to be. 🙁

The wrong length of time.

If I don’t keep boxes it’s probable that I will need them.

If I do keep the boxes it’s probable that either I won’t need them or won’t be able to find them till I don’t need them anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I force myself to keep them for a few weeks then toss. Once ages ago, we bought an iPad that turned out to have a minor issue (I honestly can’t even remember what!) and I needed the box. It had been turned into a nanobots maze! But they still took it. 🤷‍♀️ Thank goodness I had it! That’s literally the only time I’ve ever needed a box in the last decade that I can recall - unless it was something that I opened and then had to immediately return for some reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selkie said:

My MIL kept the boxes for everything. After she died, we were cleaning out her attic and it was literally stuffed with decades and decades worth of empty boxes. 

That's ridiculous. Everyone knows you're supposed to clear them out every 15 years 😂

• Haha 1

I no longer keep boxes of any kind.  

When we first moved into this house, I kept every box that crossed my path. Small appliance, electronic, Amazon... But I do not have an attic. Or basement. Or garage. Or even a shed at that time. So I was hoarding boxes in the small loft off the master bedroom of my small house. It became a genuine problem for me! I got rid of them all, and now I break down and recycle every box that comes into my house as quickly as I can.

It is funny, so I do laugh about it, but I’m serious about it being a problem.  When a great box comes into my house or I buy something expensive, it IS hard for me to cut it up and get rid of it!  But I get worried that one box is all it will take to start a new collection! (And my shed is to humid to store them!)

The UPS store has anything I could ever need, and the Apple store is a reasonable drive.

• Like 1

You are not nuts to want to throw them out. However, depending on the product and the company, that can be very costly if you do not have the original packaging. Years ago, our family bought a number of computers from Dell Latin America.  I remember reading, on a Dell Support web site or somewhere, that if someone bought a computer from Dell and returned it for a Refund, if it was not in the original carton and packing materials, they would deduct approximately $150 for that.

• Sad 1

Though some empty boxes have value?
For example, empty iPad boxes are sold on Ebay, at $10 to $30

• Like 1

We never keep boxes, or paperwork about warranties, unless it's accidental (they've been forgotten in some corner of the house). We've also never returned any appliances except our bathroom taps, and for that we didn't need the paperwork, I don't think. 

• Like 1

I've kept big boxes for the things that cost over $1k to replace and that might be easier to return for service in the box rather than the warranty covering a repairman. The only ones I'm currently saving are for the mac desktop computers, the ones with the monitors built in.  I tape the receipts to the boxes.  I also save those boxes for moving because I don't trust the movers with them, they are too awkwardly shaped.

I do not save the boxes for things like the vitamix, the mixer, the keurig, the air fryer, the instant pot, or a toaster oven.  Check your store's policies but I've found that even if you buy an extended warranty through a store generally if you take the item back they'll swap out the box and send you home without packaging.  I very rarely buy an extended warranty for anything less than $1k (except kitchen appliances) though, so ymmv.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Farrar said:

I force myself to keep them for a few weeks then toss. Once ages ago, we bought an iPad that turned out to have a minor issue (I honestly can’t even remember what!) and I needed the box. It had been turned into a nanobots maze! But they still took it. 🤷‍♀️ Thank goodness I had it! That’s literally the only time I’ve ever needed a box in the last decade that I can recall - unless it was something that I opened and then had to immediately return for some reason.

Yes on Apple!! Apple is the one thing I do keep everything for. But at least those aren't terrible large, so they are easier for me to keep. 

And yes LOL, my ds wants to turn all of these into his inventions!