Menu

What's with the ads?

lynn

Question. Have you had the chicken pox as a child?

I had chicken pox as a child and well I'm in my 40's and guess what happened to me a month ago?Yes had shingles!

OMG that hurt like H***.I had pain went to the urgent care and got a pain killer and a muscle relaxer thinking it was a spasm.As the Dr was leaving he mentioned the rash and said come back ASAP if you get a rash because it could be shingles he said and of course 2 days later there it was the ugliest looking rash I had ever seen on my back!It took me 2 weeks of anti viral to feel better and I then got sick with a bad cold/cough and am finally recovering from it!  

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Some kids have already gotten shingles after the vaccination, but like most people with shingles, they are almost always immunocompromised in some way.  Being exposed to someone with cpox or shingles also gives a natural booster, which will no longer be around - everyone will likely have to get lifelong vax boosters, probably starting younger as the natural boosters won't be around.  Unless they create an effective killed cpox vaccine, and then people don't have the live virus floating in their systems anymore.

The newest shingles vaccine is killed.  But not sure if it's strong enough to prevent chicken pox, or why is the cpox vax live in the first place?  Shingles vax is basically a booster.

my dd who had shingles at 7 (after having the virus) - was not remotely immune compromised.  (unlike elderly who develop shingles from having the virus as children.)

I had the chicken pox as a baby, but only on my feet!  So, my doctor was a little worried when I was 8 months pregnant with #5 and my 4 other children all came down with it.  (No, the vaccine hadn't been offered to kids yet when my kids were very young, at least in our area!)   I didn't get it, thank goodness.  I do plan to get the shingles vaccine, although our insurance won't cover it until I'm 60.   One of my dd's who had the CP got the shingles when she was around 23.  

The CP vaccine was offered to child #5, so she had the vaccine, but three years later she came down with the chicken pox anyway.  (A fairly light case.)

I'd probably get the CP vaccine if I were you.  I would think that the risks and problems associated with getting the chicken pox with no vaccine outweigh the risks of getting shingles with the CP vaccine.  (Although I really have no scientific knowledge regarding that!)

I had chicken pox as a child (no vax). I haven't had shingles. I'll turn 50 in a little less than two years and plan to get the shingles vax then.   Dh also had cp but no shingles. He'll get shingles vax in a couple of months 

All of my kids had the chicken pox vax. None have gotten chicken pox. But my son got shingles when he was 9. It was awful. I just remember  I was so mad at the pediatrician because he just acted like it was great because he got to see this case as he had been hearing of chicken pox vaxed kids getting shingles but had not seen it yet. Here was my son in terrible pain and he was acting all giddy. But anyway,  this was about 8 years ago.  Ds was always healthy before shingles and has been healthy ever since, but that was an awful 3 weeks.  

I had CP as a kid no shingles yet.  I am nowhere near the age they suggest the vax. I will probably get it when it’s offered.  My mother had less pain with her knee replacement than her mild shingles.

I had chicken pox twice, the first time as a toddler- it was mild, I'm told and then again when I was 9.  I do not plan on getting the vaccine, and I have been around 2 people who had shingles, but I haven't caught it.  My oldest dd had the vaccine as a baby, the others did not.  

I didn't have noticeable chicken pox when I was a child, so I got a blood draw in my twenties and was told that I am immune.  No shingles shot yet.

9 hours ago, Mommyof1 said:

Had CP at 6yrs old. A mild case. Never tested for immunity. No shingles vax. In my 50's.

I've have known older people who have had the shingles vax and still got shingles. Some more then once.

The old vaccine or the new two dose Shingrix?

I had CP as late child/young adult

no shingles    No shingles vaccine 

Does anyone know your Vitamin A status and relative Lysine to Arginine balance at the time you got shingles if you  got shingles?  Or for a child if a child did?

• Like 1

I was 10yo when I got chicken pox. I remember it. I was miserable and didn't get to miss any school to boot because I got it on summer vacation.

My oldest daughter got it when she was in 6th grade so I guess she was 11yo. She had it over spring break and only got to miss the last day of school before spring break. All my other kids got it from her even the one who had had the vaccine. They were 14yo, 12yo, 7yo, 5yo and 4 months old at that time. The 4 month old actually got it bad enough to test immune at his 6yo well check. The only one of the kids who had a mild case was the 5yo. Very few sores and not particularly ill at all but this is the same kid who could have raging strep throat and never looked or acted sick at all lol.

None of us have had shingles and no vaccines for chicken pox or shingles are planned.

I had chickenpox when I was 24yo, and let me tell you--it was BAD.  You don't want it as an adult.  I have not had shingles (yet).

Both of my parents have had shingles and it is BAD.  My mother even had it in her eye, and her eyesight has never been the same since.  It can make you go blind. 

I will get the vaccine when its recommended.

Dd25 would have gotten one of the first chicken pox vaccines when she turned one but instead she got the chicken pox at 9 months old.   Both younger kids were vaccinated.

I had chicken pox as a child and I just turned 50 so I'm sure the doctor will recommend the shingles vaccine.  I'll probably get it.

Dh had chicken pox as a child and had shingles about a year ago.  It was caught early and didn't seem to have much effect but he also has Lymes and sleep apnea so who knows what exactly is causing some of his symptoms. 

I have heard bad things about shingles!  I plan to get the vaccine when I am at the recommended age.  I had chicken pox as a toddler and don’t remember it.  My mom says I was on the mild side with it.  

I had chicken pox as a kid.  I believe I had shingles when I was in my 30s, brought on by severe stress, but I was not diagnosed (it went away after roughly 3 months).

I am interested to know if the shingles vax works if you have already had shingles.  I might be open to getting the vax when I am much older and can't handle the annoyingness of shingles.  Not now though.  I don't see the point of any vax against long-future troubles, given that they wear off and research is ongoing.

Had chicken pox at age 2 pretty severely. Reexposed at age 12 when my brother had them. I have not got vaccine/booster for shingles, and kids did get chicken pox vaccine.

ETA I did get small pox vaccine at 23 while working in a virology lab. Just the single pock on my shoulder was intensely itchy and uncomfortable. I can’t imagine having the disease and am grateful for vaccines on the whole! Im conflicted about cpox vaccinations for all because of the loss of re exposure and the rise of shingles. But I’m sure I’ll get the shingles one when recommended.

Edited by Targhee

I have had chicken pox twice, once as an infant and then again when I was about 30. The first case was supposedly very mild and I don’t think it conveyed much immunity. My brothers had CP when I was 8 and I didn’t get it but I did when my children got it. All but my youngest got CP and one of them got a mild case of shingles when she was 16. We caught it early and she got the anti-viral. The youngest is an adult now and has had her titers done and is not immune so I think she is planning on getting the CP shot before she gets pregnant.  I am in my mid fifties now and I am ambivalent about getting the shingles shot.

I did have chicken pox as a child and did get shingles in my mid 40s. I didn’t know what it was and thought it was a really weird acne cluster that hurt a lot.  I went to the doctor for a physical a week after it had scarred over and she looked at the scars and told me it was shingles.

I had a horrible case of chicken pox as a kid. I had it in my mouth and throat and could barely drink. I had it on my eyelids. I had super high fevers and basically spent a week in bed barely able to even get up to go to the bathroom. A week later I had a ruptured appendix and was in the hospital for a week covered in scabbed over pox. It was a rough 7th grade. 🙂

I've been tested multiple times because of work and I have antibodies. I will get the shingles vaccine when I’m old enough. 

Chicken pox when I was 11.  DS11 has been vaccinated against chicken pox. 

I am 47 and no shingles yet, knock wood.  I will get the shingles vaccine when my doctor recommends it.