Menu

Counting High School History Credits

Hi all!  I'm doing some planning for High School and LOVE the idea of breaking the 4 high school years into the 4 categories of World History.  How do you account for that on transcripts that require 'American History'?  Do you just fudge it, knowing that 'American History' comes into one of the categories?  And then would 'American Government (or Civics' be a separate 1/2 credit course?

Or do you go more traditional in Highschool: 1 year of American History, 2 years of World History, and 1 year of Government/Civics/Current Events? (I'm pretty sure this is what I did in the 1980's when I was a kid....) 

THANKS!

Kristi

Edited by kristijoy

I'm graduating my first this year. I stuck to  the Well Trained Mind schedule because it's always served me well. Mine has 9th grade- 1 credit of World History, Ancient World. 10th grade- 1 credit World History, Middle Ages, 11th grade- 1 credit of World History, Renaissance World. 12th grade (current year)- 1 credit American History in context of Modern World History, 1/2 credit  Government, 1/2 credit State History. 

We continue senior year to study like we always have reading government, art, literature, and texts intertwined. There aren't clear cut delineations between our courses, but I slapped regular course titles that colleges are used to seeing on them. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 5

Welcome! I see by your post count that you are new here. 🙂

While you're waiting for responses, here are some past threads on this same topic that might be of interest:
"Transcript and 4-year History Cycle"
"Question about History cycle and American History credit"
"Handling a Great Books or integrated Humanities sequence on the transcript"
"History Plan for High School"

I'm just picking something to teach each year, being sure that whatever I pick is on the college lost of acceptable courses.  It's too hard to predict what 11th and 12th grades will look like when you are starting 9th grade.  

Older DD

9th- World Geography

10th- US  History (we focused on modern, but still calling it US)

11th- DE Government,  and will probably DE Ancient History or US History next semester- she actually wants to do both.

12th- most likely Psychology,  which schools here count under Social Studies.   DE Economics (but this is next year, so who knows!)

DD2

9th- World History 

This is as far as I've planned- most likely US History next year for 10th, but I'm not ready to say for sure yet.  We may do Government instead bc it's an election year.  This kid is not that interested in doing a lot of DE.   

• Like 1

I had a plan all laid out, but my dd#1 had ideas of her own. So, my advice is to plan in pencil & be flexible. You might find your kid wants to spend a semester in depth on World War II or focus on Chinese history for an entire year. As long as you can handle writing them up on the course descriptions and giving them titles that will help colleges see how their requirements are met, I'd give your kid plenty of latitude in choosing what (time periods or topics) to study as they go.

• Like 3

On 10/18/2019 at 9:54 PM, Lori D. said:

Welcome! I see by your post count that you are new here. 🙂

Thanks Lori!  I am new and still getting used to looking around.  I have lots to catch up on. Thanks for the pointers! 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:54 PM, Lori D. said:

These links are exactly what I was looking for.  The bottom line for me: It depends on your students interest.  If you student is a history nut, then by all means you can include 'extra' social studies courses (above and beyond the required credit amounts).  But if your student has different interests then combining the history courses to meet the basic requirements will free up 'credits' for other interests or rabbit holes! 🙂 

This is great! I'm going to try and make some more time to spend on the message board as you all seem so supportive!  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kristijoy said:

Thanks Lori!  I am new and still getting used to looking around.  I have lots to catch up on. Thanks for the pointers! 🙂

Happy to help!  😄 

I notice under your "avatar" that it lists your location as Northern California -- it's sometimes helpful to add that tidbit when you're asking questions about *how* to accomplish specific credits, as CA (along with NY) are very particular and certain special hoops for homeschool high school students.

Also, you might enjoy browsing some of the past threads on different high school topics, all linked in the big pinned thread at the top of the high school board -- there are 4 big pinned threads, one each on high school Math, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. And then many other high school topics are collected in these 2 big "motherlode" threads pinned at the top of the high school board: 

"High School Motherlode #1" has links to past threads on:
page 1 = High School Time Table, Preparing for High School, Addressing Fears, Getting Started, Books & Resources, Making a High School Plan, Time Management, High School on a Budget, Expectations/Attitudes, Accreditation / Cover Schools
page 2 = tests -- info and comparisons on the PSAT, ACT, SAT, SAT Subject, AP, IB, CLEP, GED, ASVAB, and Compass/Accuplacer

"High School Motherlode #2" has links to past threads on:
page 1 = Transcripts / Record Keeping, 
Credits, Grading / GPA, Honors Courses, Record Keeping, Course Descriptions, Letter of Recommendation, Volunteering, Graduation topics, Diplomas
page 5 (no links on pages 2-4) = General Threads on High School Subjects (Writing, Math, Science, Electives), 
Home-Grown Courses and MOOC Courses, Extracurricular Activities, Outsourcing, Online Classes, Tutors, Dual Enrollment

Also, when you're ready to start thinking about college topics: "College Motherlode", with SIX pages of linked past threads:
page 1: College Search Process; College Visits; Online College / College at Home / Distance Degree 
page 2: College Applications; Common App
page 3: Money Matters; Financial Aid; Scholarships; FAFSA / EFC; CSS Profile
page 4: Honors Programs / Phi Theta Kappa; Internships / REUs; NCAA
page 5: Heading to College; At College; Study Abroad
page 6: Alternatives to 4-Year College; Gap Year; Military; Career Exploration

Happy reading! 😄 Warmest regards, Lori D.